No News is Good News 5/31/24

Rate this topic

He is still running.

If elected, he will not serve. 

We now have an overnight double bottom on the 24 hour hourly ES with a modest positive divergence. This should be enough to give the 5 day cycle up phase some upside. 5230-35 is a serious obstacle that they need to clear. There are about 5 different downtrend lines representing resistance through that zone. If they clear it they should be good to go for a bit.  Otherwise, down the shitter. 

151g83

For moron the markets, see:    

If you are a new visitor to the Stool, please register and join in! To post your observations and charts, and snide, but good-natured, comments, click here to register. Be sure to respond to the confirmation email which is sent instantly. If not in your inbox, check your spam folder. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At what time are Treasury auctions trades executed?  Ideally rates rise into auction and fall after. If your a dealer that is and it often works that way but I have no scorecard.

53 minutes ago, Jorma said:

At what time are Treasury auctions trades executed?  Ideally rates rise into auction and fall after. If your a dealer that is and it often works that way but I have no scorecard.

No auctions today. Friday's are a day of rest. 

Coupon auctions close at 1 PM on day of auction. Bill auctions close at 11:30 AM. 

Settlements are 2:30 if memory serves. Might be 2:00. Need to check that. 

Just now, fxfox said:

He meant the settlement of that Coupon Whopper today  i guess.

Yes. I think that raising of the cash was obviously done earlier in the week in anticipation. T-bill paydowns have already started. The pressure is off already. 

Net Cash Pay Down in Millions of Dollars, by Date
Date Security Type Total Offering Total Publicly
Held Maturing
Net New Cash or
(Pay Down)
06/06/2024 Bills $200,000 $212,002 $(12,002)
06/04/2024 Bills $200,000 $204,981 $(4,981)
05/31/2024 Coupons $243,000 $87,595 $155,405
05/30/2024 Bills $205,000 $211,993 $(6,993)

Just now, DrStool said:

Yes. I think that raising of the cash was obviously done earlier in the week in anticipation. T-bill paydowns have already started. The pressure is off already. 

Net Cash Pay Down in Millions of Dollars, by Date
Date Security Type Total Offering Total Publicly
Held Maturing
Net New Cash or
(Pay Down)
06/06/2024 Bills $200,000 $212,002 $(12,002)
06/04/2024 Bills $200,000 $204,981 $(4,981)
05/31/2024 Coupons $243,000 $87,595 $155,405
05/30/2024 Bills $205,000 $211,993 $(6,993)

Yes. As far as I know, there is no specific hour for a settelment. For example: If one bank makes an FX Spot deal with a other bank settlement is „T*2“ means „in 2 business days“, maybe  the details say that settlement has to be during NY business hours or something like that, butc it does not say „we send the money at 12 a.m.“ or something.

I started dabbling in the Treasury auction market a year and a half ago.  Since then, for Treasury notes, my experience has been that the interest rate frequently dropped a quarter point or so between the purchase deadline and the actual auctions, which closed a day or two later, around noon Eastern time.

A few times the rate stayed the same, once, it dropped almost half a point, but I do not recall the rate increasing into closing, which would have benefited me, the buyer (ie, the Greater Fool).  Someone, somewhere, got a slice of the difference.