Bushtantiation Rally

Bush made remarks on the economy carried live in the financial media today. For once, the market didn't tank after he spoke. Instead it rallied all afternoon.

It's all good.

Remember, never base a short position on funny mentals. Regardless of the fact that falling interest rates may not be bullish for the market as a whole, professional investors regard them as universally bullish for interest sensitive stocks, and real estate in particular. It's not the least bit insane for these sectors to be rallying here. The market is just following time tested conventional wisdom. That doesn't make it right, but belief drives stock prices, just like it drives religion. It makes absolutely zero difference if it's true.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Doc:

"Conceivably we could have just had recession, hard times, sliding dollar, inflation, etc., but I'm afraid it's going to be much worse," he says. "Bernanke is printing huge amounts of money. He's out of control and the Fed is out of control. We are probably going to have one of the worst recessions we've had since the Second World War. It's not a good scene."

Jim Rogers

Bush made remarks on the economy carried live in the financial media today. For once, the market didn't tank after he spoke. Instead it rallied all afternoon.

It's all good. 

Remember, never base a short position on funny mentals. Regardless of the fact that falling interest rates may not be bullish for the market as a whole, professional investors regard them as universally bullish for interest sensitive stocks, and real estate in particular.  It's not the least bit insane for these sectors to be rallying here. The market is just following time tested conventional wisdom. That doesn't make it right, but belief drives stock prices, just like it drives religion. It makes absolutely zero difference if it's true.

642111[/snapback]

Dok

What amazes me is the monumental indiffeence towards Hyman Minsky; its almost as if he never lived....Some say, and I agree with them, that without having read something by him ,whether it be an article, a page, or even a paragrph, at least three little words ---INVESTMENT,SPECULATION,PONZI-- one wouldn't have any ides about our economy today..

Incidentally those three words are the pithiest ones describing the business cycle...

Its almost as if People would rather commit intellectual suicide rather than pay homage to such simple and easy to understand ideas---so commom-senseicle is he that reading him so late in one's life is,indeed, an embarasssment

beardrech :ph34r: :ph34r:

wow cant believe MU finally made that bounce. was eyeing it, but anything going to hell in a handbag at that rate, i wont touch. who had the balls of steel and capitalized on it?

642114[/snapback]

i traded MU and made some coin in Dec .... I pretty much got made fun of, people called me names and referred to me as a chic from a commercial for E trade or something like that.....

I missed this bounce ... Tooo Baaaaaaaaad ;)

From Herb Greenberg's blog :o

Say hello to the Hot-and-Sour Soup Indicator. Right now the indicator it?s flashing yellow with a tinge of red.

Here?s why: This Chinese restaurant I go to in Del Mar ? the one with a great view of the Pacific beyond the Torrey Pines bridge ? is really good. The hot-and-sour soup can?t be beat. Been going there for years. Last night the general manager, who knows what I do for a living, asked me about the economy. I could tell from her question that she was hoping I?d say, ?Better.?

?I don?t know,? I told her. ?How is it for you??

Her: ?Slow and getting slower.?

Me: ?What are your friends in the business saying??

Her: ?Slow.?

Me: ?In San Diego? Nationally??

Her: Slow here and everywhere.?

Then she threw this curve ball: ?And it?s slow in Hong Kong, too.?

Me: ?Hong Kong??

Her: ?Yes, China is slowing.?

Some people scoff about this anecdotal evidence, but in many ways it beats the rear view mirror of government numbers. And given how things have gone, I believe the Hot-and-Sour Soup Indicator is as credible as the official numbers or anything else.

There is, after all, nothing more forward looking that what?s happening right now.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/greenberg/

Donging MER looks to be the play for the rest of the year. One of their muni bond customers (Springfield, MASS) returned their goods and got their money back.

The stock rallied 2 bucks+

big.chart?symb=mer&compidx=aaaaa%3A0&ma=0&maval=9&uf=0&lf=1&lf2=0&lf3=0&type=2&size=2&state=8&sid=3101&style=320&time=18&freq=9&comp=NO%5FSYMBOL%5FCHOSEN&nosettings=1&rand=641&mocktick=1

I'm thinking there's a lot more where that came from!

;)

For Doc:

Jim Rogers

642118[/snapback]

I suppose in some meta sense this money printing thing has some merit and in the biggest sense he's right that we are going to hell in a hand basket as far as died in the wool bears like us are concerned but the money printing thing is BS and I think his way of talking his own book. His book being commodities and he wants more money comming into them.

How much money is enough for these guys anyway? I know, it's the game, but he surely must know the game has consequences. He lives in China now I heard. How many there are going to go hungry with wheat at $10. $10 is more than enough based upon any funnymental imaginable. He wants $15 evidently, just for fun.

Archived