B4 The Bell, Tuezelday, February 17

Brian,

Here's another biggie!!

5:22pm 02/17/04

Tyson to cut 6,000 jobs (TSN) By William Spain

CHICAGO (CBS.MW) -- In an attempt to rein in costs, Tyson Foods will cut its work force by 5 percent, or about 6,000 people, "primarily through attrition," the company told a Tuesday gathering of anal cysts in Arizona. The meat behemoth will also spend almost $70 million to further automate some of its facilities this year, company executives told the Consumer anal cyst Group of New York conference in Scottsdale. Shares of Tyson (TSN) , hit earlier by a federal jury's recommendation of $1.3 billion in damages in a cattle-price-manipulation case, closed down 1 percent at $16.21.

Tyson Statement On Alabama Jury Verdict

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

By Richard Gibson

Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Tyson Foods Inc. (TSN), contending it was "caught in the middle" of a dispute over cattle-marketing procedures, vowed to appeal a jury's $1.28 billion judgment against it Tuesday.

An Alabama federal court jury handed up what the meat-processing giant called an "advisory" award in an eight-year-old case brought by a group of cattlemen alleging cattle-price manipulation.

"This is only a temporary legal setback" that won't "materially impair our liquidity or affect operations," the Springdale, Ark., company said of the decision, which involves a case it inherited when it purchased beef processor IBP Inc. in 2001

This $1 billion judgement - It's just a flesh wound, we've had worse!

post-20-1077059049_thumb.jpg

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Brian, I'm selling a new 5th wheel to a gentleman from Delta B.C. What I need to know is should I accept payment in loonies or beaver pelts? The thought of all those bald beavers running around the North woods is disconcerting (though some prefer the smooth look) but I'm retiscent to accept anyone's paper these days. :lol:

I'm still trading this but, Brian is correct about the volume today and the bottom can drop out at any time. Sold CALM at $42.5 today and bought a pawn broker.

Check this out, It's trading at a market cap. of 140 million and did 207 million in rev. last year. EZPW. Don't follow me. I am not a YANKEE fan.

Archived