I Warned You This Was Coming 1/19/24

Rate this topic

18 hours ago, SiP said:

Hard not to agree but there are a lot of voices that the country was sold.

Most companies are in the hand of foreign capital and that was one of the key point in last policital campaign.

Example in retail shop

- Lidl, Kaufland (de), Biedronka (Portugal), etc

- Carrefour, Auchan, Tesco (in the past)

- convenient stores Żabka (US funds like cvc).

Sometimes polish capital has like max 25% market share like in telecoms

-Orange bought former incumbent Telekomunikacja Polska

- T-Mobile Polska bought Era, now offers mostly mobile services

- Play (now French Illiad) created from scratch

- Plus (privatized by polish billioner)

Capital has a nationality

Just to name an example

- French Illiad billionaire announced in Nov 2023 biggest AI investment in France

- in Poland Illiad just keep cutting costs and doing  small csr projects

So in short, foreign HQ got bigger, and they develop more R&D at home. In other countries you do cheap shared services. Sometimes R&D.

So it's mix bag

I know countries like India or China or UAE where they approved mostly 50/50 JV instead of full privatization like in Poland.

I meant it more generally. It is remarkable how Poland developed after 1990. Everything is new, state of the art, you can pay with card everywhere. New technology everywhere. Sure, not so much in rural areas, but that is the same in every developed country on earth.

The transition of the economy after 1990 was a very tough thing to fo. You had massive overcapacity in steel and coal industry for example. So if you would have done 50/50 joint venture those overcapacities never would have gone away because the influence of the unions would have been too huge.

The cases of India and China are different: Those potential markets are so big that as a western company you have to invest there no matter which demands comes from the governments in those specific countries. The market in Poland with 40 million citizens is not big enough. So the government was not able to force the same demands from western capital than China did, so they asked all the -inskis in Chicago to invest in the homeland of their ancestors 😂  

7 hours ago, fxfox said:

I meant it more generally. It is remarkable how Poland developed after 1990. Everything is new, state of the art, you can pay with card everywherThis means that if Polish companies did not invest in innovation, Polish companies would not move up the value chain. There is a lot of talk in our country about the ceiling. e. New technology everywhere. Sure, not so much in rural areas, but that is the same in every developed country on earth.

The transition of the economy after 1990 was a very tough thing to fo. You had massive overcapacity in steel and coal industry for example. So if you would have done 50/50 joint venture those overcapacities never would have gone away because the influence of the unions would have been too huge.

The cases of India and China are different: Those potential markets are so big that as a western company you have to invest there no matter which demands comes from the governments in those specific countries. The market in Poland with 40 million citizens is not big enough. So the government was not able to force the same demands from western capital than China did, so they asked all the -inskis in Chicago to invest in the homeland of their ancestors 😂  

I agree with you, but you have to take into account that there have been some inappropriate cases of privatization.

One example - concrete production.

French Lafarge bought a lot of concrete production facilities in Poland. Then they closed like 70% of them and rise the price of concrete. That was very famous scandal during 2012 Euro football contest in Poland. They had like monopoly.

But like I said I agree with you. There was a massive gdp per capita increase in last 30 years. However there is a big discussion about so called middle-growth trap. This means if Polish companies did not invest in innovation, Polish companies would not move up the value chain. There is a lot of talk in our country about the ceiling. But it's hard to deliver with many stupid politicians.