Ten Market Rules to Forget 11/13/23

Rate this topic

On 11/12/2023 at 9:35 AM, fxfox said:

image.jpeg.e1884412efcd27f5475e1c6509d0705c.jpeg

I was a big fan of his during my days on the Street. Farrell never imagined that the Fed would engage in long term rigging of the stock market to only go up.

There are long periods when the general consensus is right.

Bear markets no longer have 3 stages, and they haven't since the 73-74 bear market. 

The "public" is actually institutional investors. 

Exponential runs sometimes do correct by going rangebound. 

The other points are generally still true, although obviously bear markets are a helluva lot more fun than bull markets. 😂

At Friday's close I had thought that the ES, 24 hour S&P futures were headed straight for 4450, but this morning the hourly chart 5 day cycle projection has moderated to 4430, thanks to the Monday morning quarterback pre market trades where a few longs had second thoughts. So now the target is two resistance lines around 4430. If they start to turtle above that, then I'd expect 4460-65 this afternoon.  Meltup Gonna Take You Hiya

127s-g

Over in the bond market, the 10 year Treasury yield is still in its uptrend channel, but also still losing upward momentum on the cycle oscillators. Maybe a little pullback to test the trend before the move to the upside in yield resumes. Fuggedaboutit! Treasury Supply Ain’t Going Away

127t2x

The yellow relic remains its frustrating self, and the short term poor tents (down by the river) aren't good. Gold Bullish Pullback But Miners Are Doubtful

127t52

For moron the markets, see:

If you are a new visitor to the Stool, please register and join in! To post your observations and charts, and snide, but good-natured, comments, click here to register. Be sure to respond to the confirmation email which is sent instantly. If not in your inbox, check your spam folder.

• DrStool changed the title to Ten Market Rules to Forget 11/13/23

“I was a big fan of his during my days on the Street. Farrell never imagined that the Fed would engage in long term rigging of the stock market to only go up.“

Ah, yes, the good old days of stock market investing.  

Though on a much longer time frame than he (or I) ever imagined, old Bob may still get the last laugh.

The problem with that "How a bear market behaves" is the lack of data series. In modern times there wre like what 5 or 6 bear markets. Thats statistically not significant. That#s why people always come up with "1929" and "1970s" analogies, cause there are no other ones. All the rest - going back to 1700s or ancient times  - are for the garbage can. The data is completely unreliable. There is even lots of discussion about he Fama-French dataset and that set is bascially the basis for everyone who backtests data from the 1920s on.

I was not around in the markets in the 1970s but I know one thing for sure. "1929" analogies were all over the place. Right?

Not necessarily. It will come out of the RRP slush fund. 

I warned 5 years ago that the RRPs would be a slush fund that would support the market when the Fed went into a tightening cycle. Got that right. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DrStool said:

Not necessarily. It will come out of the RRP slush fund. 

I warned 5 years ago that the RRPs would be a slush fund that would support the market when the Fed went into a tightening cycle. Got that right. 

Yep. Once the slush fund is empty they gonna end QT. Then they wait a bit and look what the market does. If down, they gonna start QE all over again.