Devastating Overnight Selloff Leads to What's Next 7/20/23

OK, I keed. I keed. 

We got the little 3 day cycle pullback into what should be the low of that cycle right now. But whether the 5 day cycle has also topped out isn't yet clear. It depends on what happens between 7:20 and 9:30 AM ET. 

The pullback has reached trend sport, as I write. If it continues lower from here, then the 5 day cycle high was yesterday and we get a down phase into Monday, maybe Tuesday.

If the hourly ES, 24 hour S&P futures, holds at 4558, then we get another shot up into a 5 day cycle high today or early Monday. That would show the wave still skewing to the right and up. Which would then imply a short pullback or consolidation and another wave to another new high by next Wednesday or Thursday. 

Wash, rinse, repeat. 

10qe77

For moron the markets, see:

If you are a new visitor to the Stool, please register and join in! To post your observations and charts, and snide, but good-natured, comments, click here to register. Be sure to respond to the confirmation email which is sent instantly. If not in your inbox, check your spam folder.  

Lots of new photos for you travel bugs! My travel photo blog 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Money rates are now slightly positive to consumer inflation.  Historically they've reached punitive levels before the market turned. In other words, monetary policy is not tight enough to stop the asset price inflation.  That's because the RRP slush fund withdrawals are far outstripping the Fed's QT in adding money to the market versus the draining from QT. 

image.png

We’re Not There Yet

1 hour ago, DrStool said:

Money rates are now slightly positive to consumer inflation.  Historically they've reached punitive levels before the market turned. In other words, monetary policy is not tight enough to stop the asset price inflation.  That's because the RRP slush fund withdrawals are far outstripping the Fed's QT in adding money to the market versus the draining from QT. 

image.png

We’re Not There Yet

Send that to Rick Santelli or that other guy at CNBC who asks usually questions during the FED presser. He should ask if the FED is aware of the above mentioned mechanisms and what they intend to to against it or if they just don‘t care. Problem with asset price inflation is that people feel „rich“ and therefore will go on spending with both hands and that will lead to further inflationary pressure.

Archived