Marijuana Burnouts

From the Weekend Australian (via Drudge):

Government under fire over bombings

From correspondents in Madrid

March 14, 2004

MORE than a thousand people held a protest in Madrid today to blame this week's bombs in the capital on the government's unpopular decision to support the US war on Iraq.

Shouting "The bombs on Iraq have exploded in Madrid" and "Resign", the crowd gathered in front of the ruling Popular Party's headquarters but were held back by police in riot gear.

The demonstration, on the eve of general elections, came amid conflicting theories as to who was to blame for Thursday's blasts on crowded commuter trains that killed 200 people and wounded nearly 1500.

C'mon guys, you can get 1000 lefties out for just about anything, especially in Spain. Day before, there were millions showing solidarity against terrorists. I don't see how you can make this out to be a sign of major anti-US feeling.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From the Weekend Australian (via Drudge):

Government under fire over bombings

From correspondents in Madrid

March 14, 2004

MORE than a thousand people held a protest in Madrid today to blame this week's bombs in the capital on the government's unpopular decision to support the US war on Iraq.

Shouting "The bombs on Iraq have exploded in Madrid" and "Resign", the crowd gathered in front of the ruling Popular Party's headquarters but were held back by police in riot gear.

The demonstration, on the eve of general elections, came amid conflicting theories as to who was to blame for Thursday's blasts on crowded commuter trains that killed 200 people and wounded nearly 1500.

C'mon guys, you can get 1000 lefties out for just about anything, especially in Spain. Day before, there were millions showing solidarity against terrorists. I don't see how you can make this out to be a sign of major anti-US feeling.

Howdy Chibear:

I didn't really perceive that the anti-U.S. angle is the story here at all.

90% of Spaniards were opposed to putting their troops in harms way in Iraq...no surprise there, and I think the main point in all this is that people don't appreciate being lied to or sold a bill of goods.

I recall a certain third rate burglary that led to an impeachment.

And a woman named Martha provides yet a more recent example...

It's not the crime that matters, it's the coverup.

You just can't credibly come out and decry that Al Qaeda had nothing to do with the most sophisticated bombing imaginable while the smoke is still hanging in the air...it makes you look ridiculous...especially when later proven wrong...and makes people question your agenda on many fronts...and whose interest you really represent.

I suspect voters will frown on that behavior. It's not about the U.S.

Yeah, bullshit. I used to be hypnotized Republican too.

Boring ....

THE WONDERFUL NATIONAL AUSTRALIA BANK

They spent $3 billion buying Homeside the mortage originator in good old us and what does that ingrate Homeside do -report massive losses - obviously well hidden.

No due diligence was done for the purchase - I wonder why?

NAB got taken to the cleaners by a bunch of clever US sharks.

Cicutto was either an idiot or a criminal.

NAB, AMP, Lendlease, Brambles, CSL, Southcorp

BHP was a real disaster for a while

The cup runneth over with fallen false idols in good old OZ.

Yeah, bullshit. I used to be hypnotized Republican too.

ah, HAH!!! yet anUDDER admission against "interest" by Mr TwoScrewsLoose!!!

THAT shurrrrrre explains a LOT!!! :P

lmazzoff

"boring" ain't da woid.

If yew are no longer a boring R, did u join dat der party whazZITSname, lemme c...

oh, YEAH! LIBERTINE!!!

datz it!!!

da LIBERTINE party!

(TwoScrews used to have many more screws loose when he was a BORING REPUBLICAN. Now y'all know WHY BARE calls him TwoScrewsLoose!!! :grin: )

They spent $3 billion buying Homeside the mortage originator in good old us and what does that ingrate Homeside do -report massive losses - obviously well hidden.

The cup runneth over with fallen false idols in good old OZ.

wasn't this the deal wherein Australia's biggest life insurance company was going to take over it's biggest bank, or vice versa?

they sure don't mess around Down Under when it comes to big deals going....going.....uh......er.....ummm......SOUTH. Long history of it, moguls biting the dust after riding high, etc.

Murdoch excepted, of course.

UH, oh!!! Here's a cat that hASS NINE? LIVES FURom DOWN UNDER:

http://www.thewest.com.au/20040313/news/ge...-sto121440.html

Jimbo @ Mar 14 2004, 02:50 AM)

The cup runneth over with fallen false idols in good old OZ.?

wasn't this the deal wherein Australia's biggest life insurance company was going to take over it's biggest bank, or vice versa?

they sure don't mess around Down Under when it comes to big deals going....going.....uh......er.....ummm......SOUTH. Long history of it, moguls biting the dust after riding high, etc.

Murdoch excepted, of course.

Murdoch KNOWS what things are worth.

I once bought some pacific magazines stock - which he sold in a float - sank like a stone - floated at $3.60 eventually went down to about 50 cents - now back up over a $1. I sold out at $3 - I dont hang around with losers.

Never buy anything from Murdoch and never sell anything to him - he will always come out of the deal ahead of you.

Yes NAB was going to buy AMP.

NAB was trading at a discount because of its lousy management.

AMP was Australia's largest insurer and was almost run into the ground by the previous management. Stock lost 75% of its value

Both now good value - better managemnt - buy.

Karma is an ORIENTAL notion of reincarnation governed by prior existence izzitSNOT? Well, here's some WEIRD KARMA FUR y'all..

The mention of OZ inspired BARE to go wandering the www in search of px's this nite. He zero'ed in on Western Australia - he had found a huge coffee table book of px's of Australia at BORDERS SNOT long ago and wanted to see more. Perth is there, and has a website. Well, it has a VERY unusual feature, one can plug in one's DATE OF BIRTH (DOB) and see what it says one was in his her PRIOR LIFETIME.

http://www.perthwesternaustralia.net/past_...alia_frset.html

BARE and TWOSCREWS were born on THE SAME DAY (sniff!!!) so in went the DOB

heerrrrizwhatitSEZFURour(sob!!!)DOB:

Diagnosis:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not know how you are going to react, but you were male in your last earthly

incarnation.

You were born somewhere around territory of modern Alaska approximately on 1675.

Your profession was designer, engineering, craftsman.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your brief psychological profile in that past life:

Seeker of truth and wisdom. You could have seen your future lives. Others perceived you as

an idealist illuminating path to future.

Lesson, that your last past life brought to present:

You fulfill your lesson by helping old folks and children. You came to that life to learn to

care about weak and helpless.

Now you remember?

ALASS(_)_)ka??? Is THAT what drew HRFF to Seattle FURom OH!! ho!ho!??? Or Mr TwoScrewsLoose to become an engineer/technocrat?

Jimi's dinner at Mr. Upgrade's house reminds me of standing in line for an hour at a massive white elephant sale for charity in Oakland. The guy infront of me probably spoke to his chum for 20 minutes easy about the all the stock options he, or his kids, or somebody had, and went on and on. I had a few options at the time so it wasn't like I was jeaslous, I was just sick of not being able to stand in some god damned line without overhearing everybody talk about their stock options. Now I was trying to remember the date, and because I was there with a somebody I only hung out with for a short time I know the date exactly: late January 2000--the top of the stock option mania.

Two of my dearest friend who are arty and make very little money but have 2 kids have finally gotten themselves into a triplex w/ $100K of mom and dad's money (after 2 years of trying to find something and nearly unlimited disappointments). The place is in a less then ritzy area of berkeley and is very modest. The sales price is $580K. Considering that the tenents are rent controlled and/or section 8, it will probably work out ok for them. However, they were so determined to take a 5 year adjustable mortgage on the place that I literally had to beg them to work out on paper the ramifications of higher interest rates when the note goes adjustable. She just didn't want to hear it: "Everything will be okay, I am sure we will figure something out." My conclusion: Top.

Last night my wife and I were driving through a nice area of Oakland; the exact path I happen to follow on my bicycle to get to work. One of the more beautiful houses we could hope to own lies on this route. I was about to point it out to her when I heard shouting and saw some adolescent kids running just a few doors down the street; they had knocked down and kicked around an older guy who turned out to be okay. We called 911, but the dispatcher basically told us that she had real crimes to solve and that no officers were available. Does this prove a top in the real estate market? I am not sure, but the hell if I am going to leverage myself into a house for million bucks so I can get beat down in front of it by some kids and have the OPD be too busy to do anything about it. If I have to endure that kind of abuse, I may as well just rent.

Anyway, all the Mr. and Mrs. Upgrades are going to get their geese cooked. The turn needn't be far off....

One of the concepts emphasized often on this site is that when one party borrows, but no other party forgoes the use of the funds that are lent in exchange for interest, bad things eventually happen.

Good night everybody.

this from www.dailyreckoning.com

And one more thing: the economy is adding jobs at an abysmally slow pace. In fact, U.S. payrolls have increased by only 122,000 jobs since March of 2003.

Bare,

i dont have an Ivy League education. does 122,000 jobs divided by 12 months equal 200,000 per month?

Bare,

i dont have an Ivy League education. does 122,000 jobs divided by 12 months equal 200,000 per month?

Pee, to quote DEAR OLD MOM who uses this expression FURom what DEAR OLD DAD calls "The BIG One":

"SHURRRRRE beats the HELL out of ME, Lieutenant!!!"

lmazzoff

Signed: One who made it into (and through) an Ivy League skool sans ANY ability at what the Britz call maths, to speak of.

A pity???

Were he trained there ASS a TECHNOCRAT he'd be richer than CROESUS, now, probably.

Geometry wuz fun, though.

Woulda luvved to have become an ARKYTECHT.

BARE posts a link to this story FURom Western Australia sans remark, save (speaking of saving) to say that it is a lesson to us all.

HMMMMmmmmm...maybe, perchance, it will inspire TWOSCREWS SNOT to mock HRFF??? lolol

Doc, this is the correct link - article reprinted cuz it only takes you to the lead page for several papers and not the article itself. One is given the option of emailing the article to friends, etc., too.

http://www.perthwesternaustralia.net/newsp...alia_frset.html

Alf Jenkins

Man leaves $11m to neighbours

14mar04

A 94-YEAR-OLD retired farmer who "never spent more than he needed to" has left a staggering $11 million inheritance to his neighbours.

When Alf Jenkins died last year there was nothing in his ordinary, humble life to suggest he had accumulated a fortune.

The teetotal and non-smoking bachelor grew his own vegetables, never gambled and spent nothing on luxuries.

He resisted replacing the threadbare carpet in his modest home until almost the final year of his life.

It wasn't until his last will and testament was read that the extent of his enormous wealth was revealed ? and who he left it to is the talk of Narrogin, 190km southeast of Perth.

The couple whose friendship was so richly rewarded were Mr Jenkins' longtime neighbours ? but they were shocked to discover they were the major beneficiaries of an estate worth a fortune.

To his 75-year-old farming mate, Mr Jenkins left "just over" 400,000 Wesfarmers shares, which at now almost $28 each are worth at least $11.1 million. And he bequeathed his modest Narrogin home, worth about $80,000, to the man's wife.

The Sunday Times has chosen not to name the couple, out of respect for their privacy.

"I was even staggered that he had the amount of shares he did have," the grateful neighbour said. "He just lived a simple sort of life, he didn't gamble, he just held on to what he had."

The shares, worth less than $1 apiece when they were issued to Mr Jenkins, closed at $27.81 on the stock exchange on Friday. In February 2002 they hit a record high of $33 each.

Mr Jenkins, who never married or had children and had no immediate family, left more than $200,000 from bank and building society accounts to four relatives he was connected to through his late sister's deceased husband.

The Narrogin farming couple who received the lion's share of the estate lived next door to Mr Jenkins for 50 years and bought his farm when he retired 30 years ago and moved into town.

They kept in regular contact, driving to town to pick him up for weekly dinners, inviting him to Christmas celebrations and even taking him on annual family holidays to Mandurah.

They said they never realised how much their friendship meant to Mr Jenkins ? or expected to be rewarded for it.

"He never married and when his sister died he couldn't get his driver's licence and I used to look after him," the neighbour said. "I used to do the banking but he used to keep things pretty close to his chest. I knew he had shares but he never dwelt on anything he had.

"The monetary value meant nothing to him. He was very careful with his money. He never spent more than he needed to."

Mr Jenkins arrived in Narrogin with his family as a infant and helped to clear the farm that he lived on until he retired in 1973.

Grainy photographs of him in various sporting teams are testimony to his prowess in cricket, football and tennis.

Though he spent the minimum on himself, he made several donations to country sporting clubs and facilities, including $50,000 toward building Narrogin's leisure centre, which includes an indoor stadium named after him.

Those who knew him believe his frugal habits were the result of his tough upbringing ? living through the Great Depresssion when there was little or no money while his family struggled to establish their farm.

"He grew all his own vegetables and fruit," the neighbour said. "My wife and he used to bottle the fruit together. When the fruit dropped off the tree he used to boil them when they were half-rotten.

"He did not dress that well. I used to say to him, `It's about time you got some new clothes,' and I'd take him down town for some new trousers. He was very thrifty in that way."

With his wealth Mr Jenkins could have bought a home in the best street in Perth, but it was typical that he chose to stay in Narrogin close to the farm that until the day he died he continued to refer to as his.

In his whole life, he visited the city just 19 times.

Narrogin Homecare activities assistant Lindsay Allison said Mr Jenkins' interests were in the country and he was a familiar face on the organisation's fortnightly day social trips.

Mr Allison also had had no idea the no-frills pensioner was a multimillionaire.

"He was not ostentatious at all," he said. "He was just a typical old-style farmer. Money was never something that seemed to be important to him.

"He was happy when we threw a few sausages on the barbecue and put one in a bun for him. There was never a fuss."

One has to read other peoples view and just dismissing it isn?t going to help no one. Who would have thought those Asian bankers would buy treasuries like there is no tomorrow. We need to know how those central bankers think because they create money from thin air and destroy our wealth.

With flat currency deflation can be delayed because money is made from thin air. This is one of the reason I am bullish on commodities.

That Pimco story makes more sense than usual. But the reason that the BOJ and MOF are printing a lot of new fiat money, $100 billion so far in 10 weeks this year is - well, they can, and at the low interest rate of 0.02% (3 month bills) too. They have spent 13 trillion yen in 2004 buying US$s.

With an interest rate near absolute zero, technical and sleep inducing arguments about sterilization are not even important. Essentially Japan has a liscense to print almost unlimted amounts of money - a liscense given by the marketplace. It could be withdrawn tommorrow, but until I see those yen rates get a little higher than microscopic numbers I'll expect lots of new fiat money to come out of the Asia.

PS - Mark, great job.

Archived