IDS World Markets Mon 3rd October 05

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

European central banks consider what to do about high energy prices. They too are operating under the strong US growth theory, which will be disproved in the next few weeks. If anyone can offer evidence that the economy is still strong, I'd like to see it. So far over the last month or so, most all indicators show a slowdown in economic measures, but they have all been viewed as temporary.

The debate over how policy-makers should respond to high oil prices looks set to intensify ahead of the monthly interest rate-setting meetings of the Bank of England and the European Central Bank this week.

No change in rates is expected from either the ECB or the Bank but pressure is mounting for a response as further evidence emerges of a deterioration in the outlook for growth.

The disruption caused by Hurricane Katrina will be a big feature of US data releases this week. However, Federal Reserve officials have stressed their confidence in a rapid recovery.

The combined impact of Katrina and the continuing high level of oil prices is expected to have a dramatic effect on the US Institute of Supply Management?s manufacturing report today, which is expected to fall below the 50 no-change level for the first time since May 2003. The effect on the service sector report on Wednesday is expected to be less dramatic, although a substantial decline to about 58 from 65 in August is likely.

The other main US data release of the week is September?s employment report on Friday. US employment growth has averaged 192,000 a month so far this year and, prior to Katrina, consensus expectations suggested a gain of about 200,000 jobs for September. Post-Katrina, employment is expected to fall by about 200,000 so the total loss is estimated at 400,000. The US unemployment rate is expected to rise from 4.9 per cent previously to 5.2 per cent.

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/de59ff36-3332-11d...000e2511c8.html

t?s=^AORD

Apologies for my lateness in opening the forum today but I've had a run of tradespersons through the place.

A fairly quiet one today due in part to NSW being closed for a holiday. All Ords down 0.1%, wallowing around in whale-like fashion. Utilities in the lead, +0.6% and Energy at the other end, -0.5% but not a lot of movement in any of the sectors.

Miners are all down on low volume. The Materials sector is currently showing -0.3%. Likewise the oils are lethargic.

Asia markets trundling along sideways..

I keep looking at the charts and I ask myself: Could both gold and the dollar be in bull trends? How could that be? Well, I guess maybe the dollar is the world's reserve currency for the time being, until something better comes along. And then gold is in the process of coming along.

w?s=^AORD

Not looking too bullish at all on the 5-day chart although being a relatively quiet day it's a bit hard to say whether it will be up or down from here. All Ords closed flat, Utilities still leading, +0.8% and IT slipped into last place, -0.7%.

Both miners and oils ticked off their lows with Materials closing -0.1% and Energy -0.2%.

Asia going sideways..

Europe did a jump on open which was immediately sold...direction yet to be ascertained:

t?s=^FTSE

t?s=^GDAXI

t?s=^FCHI

http://quote.yahoo.com/m2?u

Indonesia's Inflation Accelerates

Oct. 3 (Bloomberg) -- Indonesia's inflation accelerated for a sixth month in September, adding to expectations the central bank will raise interest rates again to curb the price pressures expected from the government's Oct. 1 fuel cost increase.

Consumer prices in Southeast Asia's largest economy climbed 9.1 percent from a year ago after rising 8.3 percent in August, the central Statistics Bureau said in Jakarta today.

-------------

Bali Bombing Death Toll Rises to 27, 133 Wounded

Oct. 3 (Bloomberg) -- The death toll from three suicide bombings on the Indonesian island of Bali rose to 27, according to Sanglah Hospital, where bodies are being kept.

The devastation caused by the three packages of TNT packed with ball bearings have made it difficult for authorities to count the toll.

Three suicide bombers detonated devices in two restaurants in Jimbaran, an area of beachfront hotels, at dinner time, Bali police chief I Made Mangkupastika said at a briefing yesterday. A third bomb went off in Kuta, scene of October 2002 bombings in which more than 200 died. The bombs probably weighed about 10 kilograms, he said.

I like it Aussie..."tradespersons". :lol:

So, you're having a fast breeder reactor installed in the cellar to run your air conditioning! :lol:

Everyday here a gap up day.UFB.Target should now be around 417.Today, tomorrow or next week.Until now,every proposed upside target has been hit.All downside targets merely act as support.

post-568-1128333465_thumb.png

From the frontlines:

Jefferson Davis Coop in Jennings, Louisiana. This is a smaller Coop and they received extensive damage to there transmission and distribution systems.

The men have now moved to a tent city which is being presently shared with 560 other line workers. This location provides for all the men?s needs, food, laundry, hot showers, clean sheets, towels, soap, shampoo, sleeping bunks, line stock, etc. Plain and simple, everything the men need is provided for at this tent city. Security at this location is extremely tight, a pass is required to access the area and recording where everyone is working is required. Also tetanus shots were given to everyone yesterday.

I just heard that of the 100,000 mobile units FEMA bought to provide housing for the homeless only 5000 so far are in use... no septic is available to hook up the remaining units.. yet

Is a coop like a chicken coop? If they are housing the men in a tent city, where are the women? Are all the men gay? Are they air conditioned? Do they have computer terminals, are they trading stocks, is this some type of cult or commune? Who is running it? Why is security so tight?

The Wall Street Examiner Professional Edition is now available in a weekly edition. The weekly edition is published Friday night, and includes the complete forward outlook including short term and intermediate price targets for the SPX and NDX, as well as trading outlook for the QQQQ, stock screens for the week, and Friday's Charts of the Day stock picks.

Subscribe today and if you later decide to upgrade to the complete Wall Street Examiner Professional Edition package during the first 3 month term of your subscription, I'll give you a full credit of your original payment toward the new subscription. What are you waiting for? Subscribe to the Wall Street Examiner Professional, Weekly Edition. Click the link below and get in now!

Is a coop like a chicken coop? If they are housing the men in a tent city, where are the women?  Are all the men gay? Are they air conditioned? Do they have computer terminals, are they trading stocks, is this some type of cult or commune? Who is running it? Why is security so tight?

Funny Doc,,

A coop is an electric cooperative... the 560 are men in a TENT city...... while the women are being housed by local cooperative employees in their homes... the women are working on the plant data on computers..

I doubt they are trading..lol...

chicken coop :lol:

just thought you'd like to know where your tax dollars are going...NOT... :lol:

actually, it's those pieces of paper the Fed is distributing as legal tender... creating another inflation wave... and lot's of demand for the services of those rebuilding Louisiana

actually, I doubt the half million homeless living in motels are day trading... but they could complain to FEMA and claim some loss of income...lol

Archived