Monthly Digger - January 2009

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not so sure about the majors outperforming. They have to meet their historical expectations. If their life of mine or output warrant acquisitions, they'll be seeking juniors and those buyouts dent majors' stock prices while the juniors soar.

What the hell do I know but these monthly dividend paying stocks could spoil me if they could cover my monthly expenses. Good thing that sell off allowed me to pickup a few. For now I reinvest the dividends as stock purchases since the dividends are high and the stock prices are low.

agent- looking for hui 290, one wave of lesser degree low.

yes, i agree the majors to keep up their reserves will start buying juniors. when the 1st shot is fired it will be the warning. i still think in here the majors are the better play. bwtfdik dharma

FCX needs to gain 100 bucks to reach its highs. It sure taking it sweet time recovering. I own some.

Just after JOYG was downgraded I bought some. Gold just doesn't jump out of the ground, you need mining equipment. If gold is projected to clear $1000 soon then you'll need more mining equipment.

I like how some miners are ignoring the spot prices today.

Grinch has been reading about the great gold stock drama of 08.

How they didn?t perform accordingly with the march highs.

How they died of deleveraging in the late summer-fall.

Along with very complicated excuses based on the foibles of mining.

It seems that all the ?Lucys? have some splainin to do.

Gold held up well. It should have sold down to 4 or 5 hundred under gold stock logic.

The GLD ETF stayed bulging. It should have sold off some tonnage under gold stock logic.

Folks clearly stayed in gold.

Gold stocks were abandoned. WTF?

What was the real, simple and logical reason that is eluding the ?Lucys??

How about that damned 780 ton GOLD ETF which has sucked 22 billion investment dollars out of the universe?

That isn?t chump change.

That is money that would have parked in stocks or physical resulting in greater shortages and no gold stock crash. (Gold stocks would in fact have moved higher due to a higher, shortage based physical price.) The whole thing would have snow-balled. As it SHOULD have.

Grinch isn?t much of a conspiracy nut. I wear a foil hat because I can?t afford wool.

But I do not like the ETF. It smells like a scam. It is run by criminals. The storage and identification of ?inventory? is a confusing shell game. I have never touched it. It stinks. I can?t help but feel that subscribers are in for a rude awakening.

Why was it created? I mean really. Who got served/screwed?

I may be stupid but I am not crazy. O.k. maybe just a little??

post-1744-1230951061.jpg

...grinchie felt mischievious and threw this up on the Bears' Chat board:

Rasputin?s Shiny coins?

Won?t get sold anytime soon.

This transcends economic survival. It is a primal defense mechanism that has been deployed by clear thinkers (in the face of a declining and chaotic society) since we learned to walk upright and shape metals.

Clear thinkers suffer great abuse during acquisition of said defense system.

That is the true premium. It is costly.

The brain is easily exhausted and allowed to be led to submissive thinking, but the heart disallows the divorce.

Hence we hold.

I am not a gold bug. Just a thieving opportunist?..who takes delight in sharing Ras?s paradox.

There is only one true sell signal for gold. (I am waiting in the bushes.)

Panic-selling of U.S. T-bills and interest rates far higher than the real rate of inflation.

It?s called being able to receive an actual income from what you have saved all your life for?... As it should be.

The ?system? is NOT being destroyed. Just a brutal re-alignment.

We all wake up in the morning with the same needs and a vague idea of how we are going to satisfy them. It?s called an economy. It will always exist. Just not like this anymore.

XAU:

Monday will be interesting.

XAU and most of the miners had doji's or inverted hammers Friday.

XAU squeaked out a marginal intra-day new high indicating that wave 4 of 3 may be over and that wave 5 of 3 came and went intra-day.

There are several important clues left on the chart.

First, a look at the chart indicates that the possible 5th wave lacks proportionality with waves 1 and 3. That's bullish.

Second, 103.93 looms large. If the impulse up is to continue, it cannot be overlapped.

Third, there are now 2 unfilled gaps on the chart. Both lie below wave 1's extreme.

Finally, if the impulse up is to continue, short term support resides at 107.56.

As usual, I lightened up again on Friday. Sold some KGC. Still holding the junk GSS and CDE as I expect that these weak stocks will perform well in the late stages of this wave 3, wrote January 30 calls on my GG position at 2.40 and 2.90 and hope that the VIX will continue to decline, and held my Canadian double inverse fund HGD.TO though a reverse 5 to 1 split.

The Africans look particularly vulnerable if one looks at on balance volume.

post-1352-1230961935_thumb.png

Gold and the Miners:

We've all heard the talking heads pontificate how Gold was one of the few asset classes that performed well in 2008, closing up 3% versus a huge 37% decline in the broads.

Gold is an alternate form of currency--an alternate to fiat currency. The miners are stocks. They represent the value that one will risk to capture future profits. Thus, they trade as stocks--not as surrogates to the price of Gold.

The Homestake Mining story in the Depression is an old wives' tale. It went up despite the freeze in Gold's price because it hit the motherlode. Its profits rose arithmetically ( not exponentially ) due to increased production at a fixed cost and fixed price

In fact, those who bought and held the SPX have marginally outperformed those who held the miners in 2008.

If the chart oscillators are correct, the SPX may outperform in the near term, as the miners appear to be reaching an overbought situation.

post-1352-1230965460_thumb.png

I'd like to see gold stocks make three drives to a high assuming the spx may go higher. The amount of accomplishment for price is anyone's guess, but I'd like to see AEM reach 62.60

Some see the SPX hourly PnF chart conservative projection from 1043 to 1070

Assume the first drive to a high on Dec. 17 for miners

If not, then... default to Bearvest

B.V. :

Great charting makes me an appreciative student.

Never feel that your hard work goes unnoticed.

I am, however, sprinkling pixie dust on your current longs.

Correct sir, only stocks. Jack-in-the-bean stalks.

post-1744-1231043813.jpg

Happy New Years Goobers!

Hope some of you were able to reap the huge rewards of the October & November bottoms so precisely indicated by the charts posted back then. So many favorite precious metals stocks have doubled, tripled, even quadrupled! :D I for one continued to leverage up at those significant bottoms as pointed out, and then take free shares on various stocks after the huge run-ups allowing me to continue to grow my portfolio stock base.

Currently, I continue to be preoccupied with the holiday going-ons and several projects including preparations for my diving trip to Panama! So I won?t be able to post much, especially with any long-winded takes on the fundamentals. :lol:

Wow! ? a Fed rate targeting 0-.25% during a ?FED WILL NEVER CUT IN AN ELECTION YEAR?. He he he! Well, to no surprise to anyone with a basic grasp of the fundamentals, it DID happen. Sadly for the ?Fundamentals are Useless? crowd, there is a long, steep, perhaps insurmountable learning curve.

Updating my posts from late October and November, contrary to the anticipated, expressed fears and pessimism routinely occurring at significant bottoms that the historic chart indicators no longer worked, we once again see how incredibly well they DID work. It?s hard to argue with a long-term 6-Sigma historic Monthly chart event. Sho? Enuf?, the HUI blasted off, formed the anticipated ?W? bottom and then proceeded to climb as projected. Similarly, the Dollar chart posted timed the top perfectly, the SPX bounced as posted, etc. So it?s been ?So Far So Goober? since then. I?ll catch up on some reading and post a chart or two as time permits.

gooberout :)

Archived