Space Shuttle Columbia Down

India is also a country which came close to the brink of nuclear war with a neighbor.

This is an appropriate moment for America, India, Israel, and others to reflect. And as Goldmember said, perhaps make some gestures to bridge divides during a moment of collective grief, which would not have been possible otherwise.

MH, I would hope that this tragedy would provoke some latent kernel of goodwill to bubble up. But I suspect that that outcome presupposes the existence of greater intelligence than has been displayed to date. So my bet would be on the more common and extraordinarily empty "sex after a fight"-type scenario.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My condolences to ALL nations and peoples of the globe. This is FAR BEYOND any"only in America" situation. Most if not all recent missions were for the construction of the INTERNATIONAL space station, a melding of ALL countries, with flight crew members, scientists and hundreds of professions encompassing many nations, backgrounds, race, sex, and colour and religion.

The greatest aspect of their missions was the unity of ALL, transcending individual countries and demonstrating a global unity hitherto unseen.

May they forever rest in peace.

Actually one of the things that the news coverage of this makes clear is how matter-of-factly Americans accept the idea that someone born in another country, and a female someone to boot, could rise to an elite position such as astronaut. In the history of the world, this is an extraordinary thing.

Edit: Goldmember, my post is not a response to yours, but to the earlier post which commented that the woman born in India was not getting much press coverage.

Recently there has been a great deal of anger in the world directed against America.

During the coming days, the anger will abate as sympathy is expressed for this tragedy.

It is an opening for all parties to refocus their thoughts on common purposes as opposed to polarization and conflict.

Drano, I was not upset that coverage of the woman from India was inadequate. Far from it. I was only commenting (inadequately) on the notion that it was taken for granted that such a situation (foreign born woman in the crew) was considered normal. That, to me, is evidence of how far this country (and the world) has progressed. If I had a nit to pick about it, it would have been about the usual mispronunciation of her name. But that is decidedly minor and insignificant in the face of the tragedy that is the loss of human life.

MH, I would hope so too.

My condolences to ALL nations and peoples of the globe. This is FAR BEYOND any"only in America" situation. Most if not all recent missions were for the construction of the INTERNATIONAL space station, a melding of ALL countries, with flight crew members, scientists and hundreds of professions encompassing many nations, backgrounds, race, sex, and colour and religion.

The greatest aspect of their missions was the unity of ALL, transcending individual countries and demonstrating a global unity hitherto unseen.

May they forever rest in peace.

wonderfull post!

MH,

but lets also hope that a stance against a war in iraq will not be treated as a "misrespect of the deaths of the Columbia catastrophe". Beleive me, the bush juanta will play every card.

Space shuttle Columbia crashes

"On launch day, a piece of insulating foam on the external fuel tank came off during liftoff and was believed to have struck the left wing of the shuttle.

Leroy Cain, the lead flight director in Mission Control, had assured reporters Friday that engineers had concluded that any damage to the wing was considered minor and posed no safety hazard."

Greg Fokker and richmtn will recognize the close resemblance between today's long-telephoto video clips showing the shooting stars of debris, and a similar sequence of a falling booster rocket (with musical accompaniment) during the final minutes of Koyaanisqatsi.

The ending of Koyaanisqatsi is a musical elegy to Columbia ... or you could see it that way.

NASA: SHUTTLE CARRYING ISRAELI BLOWS UP OVER TEXAS

"The crew completed all of their 80-plus experiments in orbit. They studied ant, bee and spider behavior in weightlessness as well as changes in flames and flower scents, and took measurements of atmospheric dust with a pair of Israeli cameras.

An Israel Air Force officer, staying at the NASA center in Washington, told Israel Radio on Saturday that the experiment conducted on dust clouds over the Middle East were very successful, and that Ramon and his colleagues managed to photograph dust storms over the Atlantic Ocean."

Recently there has been a great deal of anger in the world directed against America.

Yes, so it would seem based on casual observation of what appears to be a constant drumbeat emanating from the US media. But as is so often the case they are throwing an utterly misleading spin onto the true situation. The sentiment is not anti-American but rather anti-Bush administration. Hope you see there is a big difference.

Tragic accident though, but as others have said maybe something good will come of it.

I could play the message that you left for me

I could hear your voice and I could still believe

That you will soon be home

But you will never come

I know why the river runs

To a place somewhere far away

I know why the sky is crying

When there aren't any words to say

There's a silence that I don't want to hear

There's a hole now where my heart used to be

They say that healing comes in time

But I don't know what that means

I wait here for so long

But you will never come

I know why the river runs

To a place somewhere far away

I know why the sky is crying

When there aren't any words to say

from "I Know Why the River Runs" by Julie Miller. On Broken Things, 1999.

For those of you who scoff at astrology as "psychobabble", an event of this nature was predicted on one of Stoolville's astrology threads in recent months.

The Shuttle tragedy falls squarely under the current Uranus/Moon configuration in the US 3rd house.

Uranus rules explosions, the unexpected, technology and aviation. The Moon rules the US 8th house of death. The 3rd house rules news,communication and travel

This is what I said in my original prediction:

Expect the unexpected when Uranus (technology, aviation, natural disasters) in the 3rd (news, communication, travel) conjuncts the US Moon, ruler of the 8th (death, debts) on Jan. 19 (influence in effect Jan 12-26). While anything is possible (internet meltdown, airline crash, communication satellite malfunction) whatever the Event, our emotions and psyche will be hit and there will be serious financial repercussions to reckon with afterwards.

For those unfamiliar with astrology, there is often a "doppler" effect involved with a planet's energy...imagine, if you will, sitting in traffic and hearing a siren in the distance. As the siren grows closer it also grows louder until it's right next to you and then the siren starts to wane as it departs from the immediate vicinity. The same holds true for a planet's influence which is why astrologers use time frames in which to make their predictions...there's a specific window of opportunity for a planet's energy to unfold and it can happen at any time while the window is open. Uranus and the moon are within 1 dgree orb which makes it "in range" of today's events.

Selfish minds will pay the price in the end?That is all I have left to say?

Hyper, if that is in response to my "Buy Mortimer, Buy!" post it is only a vision into the realities of what the market will do. Wall Street WILL open, folks WILL buy and sell, and the market WILL follow the path of least resistance.

After 9/11 I recall a massive emotional outpouring about how short selling would not occur out of patriotic fervor. Wall Street shorted, shorted, shorted, and shorted some more until it was completely Dover Sole. I watched the tape on the Friday morning at the end of the week of stunning declines and saw buying step in as fast as individual companies opened on the NYSE. At that moment I bought! And felt damn good about it!

In this sad scenario of loss and tragedy I would feel a heck of a lot better BUYING on Monday than than those who SHORTED after 9/11. I won't be buying on Monday however because I already BOUGHT Friday morning before I left for work and I got no bullets left. And I will feel DAMN GOOD about it!

Archived