Monthly Digger - August, 2005

So much content I don't know where to begin. It wasn't the big rally, it was me switching to Monthly, wazzun tit?

Anyway I'm glad you've liked my recent missives as I've quite enjoyed writing them, well more than my trading, that's for sure. :(

Hey bv, I recognise that count. :D And I'm sure that the South African strike was a major major factor. As for the deer in the headlights thing, I quite think that we will see 202.? again soon. But one never knows.

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ageka - I've got quite a few MS64 $20 St. Gaudins, bought on the premise that over the bull run they would end up seeing greater appreciation. So far, that has not been the case and I'm beginning to regret not having bought bullion instead. I'd like to get your thoughts.

MS 64 is like the starting grade for a beauty contest

There are many contenders but the real winners are MS65 and higher

Sometimes the one point means a four to five time higher price

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/frame.chtml?typ..._gaudens_twenty

Several people crack out the coin and resubmit ( to the same or another grader )in the hopes of making 65

This only works if you really have a very nice 64 and the best prices are with

NGC and PCGS anyway I think graders with lesser reputation commend less money even in 65

So with MS 64 double eagles you need buyers that believe they will be protected

from confiscation and that they make a safe investment and that it will appreciate

I think this will typically happen in the fifth wave ; the final bubble

In the meantime a lot of intrest is focussed on the US issueing a new coin with a 999 goldgrade to "combat" the maple leave at 999 goldgrade

If that coin is issued at real bullion prices it will be a good deal to get the first year of issue

Ageka - I've got quite a few MS64 $20 St. Gaudins, bought on the premise that over the bull run they would end up seeing greater appreciation. So far, that has not been the case and I'm beginning to regret not having bought bullion instead. I'd like to get your thoughts.

MS 64 is like the starting grade for a beauty contest

There are many contenders but the real winners are MS65 and higher

Sometimes the one point means a four to five time higher price

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/frame.chtml?typ..._gaudens_twenty

Several people crack out the coin and resubmit ( to the same or another grader )in the hopes of making 65

This only works if you really have a very nice 64 and the best prices are with

NGC and PCGS anyway I think graders with lesser reputation commend less money even in 65

So with MS 64 double eagles you need buyers that believe they will be protected

from confiscation and that they make a safe investment and that it will appreciate

I think this will typically happen in the fifth wave ; the final bubble

In the meantime a lot of intrest is focussed on the US issueing a new coin with a 999 goldgrade to "combat" the maple leave at 999 goldgrade

If that coin is issued at real bullion prices it will be a good deal to get the first year of issue

It might not be a good idea to own coins made by the most hated country on the planet. I'll stick with the Canadians. If you find this offensive Doc please delete but this is my political commentary on the sitting king.

post-1718-1123148570_thumb.jpeg

The canadian coins whilst 999 pure are badly designed

They damage easily because the large open fields

Therefore if you try to sell them they will be bought as melters

( damaged or not because the buyers cannot be bothered to look at the coins )meaning only usefull to be remelted

This will bring you only 95% of goldprice

I think St Gaudens and 100 FF Angels are amongst the most beautifull coins

I have ever seen

If american coins are not to your liking I would choose Wiener Philharmonikers

They are THE preferred coin of many ; amongst them Japan

Ander - after reading the financials for GSS, I must digress, I will not buy it at any price. They are hedging gold and currencies, I try to only hold the unhedged miners. The losses on their hedges in the last quarter were just shy of a $1 million, not terrible but they said they were going to add put options this quarter - yikes!

That sucks because it looks like they got some costs down at one of their mines and should now be profitable.

I suspect this is why the stock has been under pressure.

Anyone familiar with EDV.T - a venture capital co. for miners? Look pretty solid.

Beginning to wonder if some of the folks who have traded this stuff over the last couple of years and have been rewarded by a pullback following every rally, stepped up yesterday and shorted in anticipation of being rewarded again.

Can't blame em'

Thinking GRS might start another mini leg up - maybe more like hoping. :)

habits, could you post your list of unhedged miners. tia

coin guy miss your astute observations, your stuff always makes me think!

thor - your work is a gem on this site

fwiw, i am using the same count as carver. w/the triangle as my alternate count. the dolar looks like the correction is over. however, my alternate count has the top as the end of 3 of c, and we are now in 4. there are many fundamental factors that will goose gold:the reintroduction of the 30year, the potential for a miners strike in the country that produces the most gold, and the fcbs diversifying out of the greenback. also, if china is not allowed to buy us assets (maytag, unocal) why have dollars. stay tuned. not foaming at the mouth ,..........yet, but bullish. dharma

Wave 2 isn't complete yet. I have said it should complete in 2006 with John Laws III in place.

Lets see how the waves progress, as u know I don?t follow preacher waves and if I did it wouldn?t work most of the time.

Buy and read Neowave or I could let u have a PDF copy. Then u modifies some stuff to suite the market. Each market has its own wave structure.

Thor:

This rally came right out of the blue. Bearish divergence on MACD and a bear flag.

But there's no doubting it, I believe.

Here's Carver's ultra-bullish count. Feed and I don't entirely agree, but it sure looks sweet.

Ander - after reading the financials for GSS, I must digress, I will not buy it at any price. They are hedging gold and currencies,

I know. It kindof pissed me off. But I know why they had to do it, the hedging (put options) is part of their financing deal. Its a put, so it doesnt cap upside potential, all it does is throw some money down a hole. Their currency hedging is to short the dollar, which I find reasonable, since overall I am bearish on the dollar, and it looks to have topped out. But of course, they lost some money on that as the dollar rallied.

Their assertion was: "first half of 05 is the turnaround, second half of 05 will have good earnings". We will see if it turns out that way.

I havent had a chance to listen to the conference call yet, I want to do that. I think I'm not going to buy any more, but I dont think I'll sell, the price held up well today.

Thor:

This rally came right out of the blue. Bearish divergence on MACD and a bear flag.

But there's no doubting it, I believe.

Here's Carver's ultra-bullish count. Feed and I don't entirely agree, but it sure looks sweet.

Nice Chart Bear - and thanks for sharing all your time consuming charting work with us EW dabbler wannabes! Likewise, thank you to all the other posters here who share their highly regarded knowledge keeping us PM investors on our toes! Charmin, TFH, Thor, etc.

Welp Goobs - so far so goober!

A few chart updates and a few comments:

1. POG readies its assault on $440

2. Dollar does not see significant support until 85

3. XAU/HUI consolidate yesterday's gains

4. Juniors serepticiously creepin up

5. Everything fallin into place - few days to a week

A few other thoughts:

1. Seasonailty for increased gold demand begins mid Aug - Dec

2. Strong Indian Rupee / stockmarket / crop harvest from world's largest importer

3. Shanghai gold slipped to a discount to world gold / anticipation of further possible strengthening of renminbi

4. Stubbornly high oil prices necessitating Middle Eastern CBs to divest more dollars into Euros to maintain current reserve currency composition

Chart Update:

As clearly evidenced by 4 1/2 years of chart history, gold stocks (priced in gold) are still significantly undervalued and have a lot of catching up to do. On the weekly chart, note the GOLD/XAU ratio breaking support and XAU breaking out.

Goober out B)

post-2021-1123189115_thumb.jpg

post-2021-1123196788_thumb.jpg

habits, could you post your list of unhedged miners. tia

coin guy miss your astute observations, your stuff always makes me think!

thor - your work is a gem on this site

fwiw, i am using the same count as carver. w/the triangle as my alternate count. the dolar looks like the correction is over. however, my alternate count has the top as the end of 3 of c, and we are now in 4. there are many fundamental factors that will goose gold:the reintroduction of the 30year, the potential for a miners strike in the country that produces the most gold, and the fcbs diversifying out of the greenback. also, if china is not allowed to buy us assets (maytag, unocal) why have dollars. stay tuned. not foaming at the mouth ,..........yet, but bullish.  dharma

Dharma - Did you want my personal unhedged holdings or unhedged holdings in general?

Obviously the components of the HUI are supposed to be a basket of unhedged gold stocks (bugs)

http://www.a1-guide-to-gold-investments.com/gold-stocks.html

The better stuff I hold not in the HUI is RGLD and GRS, the lesser quality stuff is NXG, GBN. For the most part, the producers I hold are in the HUI. RGLD is more of a holding company and GRS is not a producer yet. NXG and GBN are small producers. The rest of the stuff I hold is some Canadian Jr. exploration cos.

GSS may end up being replaced because of their hedging practices, but who knows?

My top holdings are GG, GRS, RGLD and KGC.

Archived