Bear Zone Stool for Tuesday, 19 August

ThorAss

Could it be that a lot of hedgies were long bonds and short stocks? And that they've been blown out on their bond longs and need to buy up their tekrap shorts as a result? It would certainly explain recent counter-intuitive action. It also does not paint a happy picture for the Bull when the shortcovering stops. Many of the extremelt wise and faithful participants of Stoolville are now pushing out their decline horizon further and further for whatever reasons. I'm still sticking to mine. August 25th to September 3rd has been a time of momentous tops and that period is fast approaching.

I closed off the rest of my non-PMS longs for small profits and am now sitting on a heavy short position and modestly long the PMS.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yo THor:

Well, I learned a lesson today. I was in Montreal for a wee holiday weekend, knowing Monday I wouldn't be able to check the markets...

I should've closed out my SMH shorts last Friday for breakeven, now I'm down as I'm short 1K shares.... but strangely, I"m not emotional about it as I'm at a loss on this position only if I choose to close it now...

Instead, perhaps more short of SMH $35 will be a gift beyone gifts from the Short Gods above....

In the future, never hold a large short position over a Monday that you can be actively checking the indexes...

thanks for rallying Da Bears :lol:

Guest yobob1

I have the same time frame in mind Thor. Butt (!) (always have those sorry assed butts hanging around) I think there are way too many shorts, anybody have the total short position figures for the NYSE and Nazdog? If it's over 1% it's too high for a major whoosh. Would like to see <.5% as a setup for a crash. Perhaps this latest orgy will bring those shorts in.

Secondarily it looks like the lagging data is reflecting the last surge of re-fi money and that will be spun to the max. But what else is new.

The bond market is still key and the next magnitude larger forex will be key in the near future. We have seen the volatility in stocks over the last few years and now the bond market is shown to not be immune to violent swings. Next will be forex. That's the capper. There is no doubt many large dislocations due to bonds' wild swings and my guess is that will, through the derivatives daisy chain, lead to volatility in the forex markets causing further upsets in the derivatives. It's all one big smoldering, gas soaked, house of cards looking for a little breeze to fan the flames.

From Raymond Merriman's weekly astro-market post :

"...I am concerned where these world stock markets are concerned. I could make a case, based purely on my knowledge of astrology, that the high for the year may occur between now and September 10. The rally upwards may become very exciting, even explosive in a positive sense. And then something completely unexpected happens, and these markets suddenly reverse."

As shown in his latest post, the astros are pretty darn ugly for the

next couple of months...

Merriman's Financial Astrology weekly commentary

Thanks for the link, Windbreaker....don't get too many market sites that mention global indices, obscure ones and all. I'll post it over at IDS World Markets....

Archived