What Jim Rogers thinks uv us...and his No. 1 ranking

This just in FURom Mr. Jim Rogers who has granted consent to HRFF to post this here. BARE had FURwarded to JR a recently linked article from Mk to Mkt or IDS re Fed beginning to push "PANIC" button re growing signs of deflation. He has been having a "discussion" w Jim re whether deflation or inflation has the upper hand. Rogers alleges inflation is the threat and commodities are the place to be. Here's an email he sent BARE earlier, today, in response. Rogers FURwarded anUDDER email citing his fund's ranking. There are three iterations of Mr Rogers' commodities fund. The International is butt (_)_) one. His (Rogers') commentary appears in RED Note the lASSt sentence. HRFF is vASStly amuzed by it :lol: :D :P :

Delivered-To: Cyber-den of HRFF

Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:46:28 -0400

To: The BARE

Subject: FW: Rogers International Commodity Index "RICI" - Numero Uno

X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook, Build 10.0.2616

Importance: Normal

FYI. I knew commodities had been a good place to be since we started the INDEX fund 1 August 1998, but I had no idea they had been the best place in all the world. Amazing.

[This is through March 2003; March is when commodities had a big hit so the results are even more significant.]

You can chatter with all those guys who still have no clue about what is happening in the markets.

www.jimrogers.com

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 12:53 PM

To: Jim Rogers

Subject: Fw: Rogers International Commodity Index "RICI" - Numero Uno

----- Original Message -----

To: Tom Price

Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 11:38 AM

Subject: Rogers International Commodity Index "RICI" - Numero Uno

Tom,

I have just gotten the Barclay performance updates for major stock, bond and commodity indexes, through March. For the period from August 1998, when the Rogers Raw Materials Fund began trading, through March 2003, the RICI ranks number one, with the GSCI a distant second. The hedge fund indices haven't reported March as yet. I will include them in the update when available. However, they will be aways back in the pack.

Will anyone notice that Jim has been right on this thing for years? Individual investors have for sure. Please advise any comments. Thanks.

George

oh, attached is an Excel file of the resultz of the study. HRFF ain't Excel-capable - YET. Can upload it to Stool's site if ya wanna c it, HRFF guesses? Ain't done that beFUR tho.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to tape Crapvision interviews that I wasn't home to watch.

In March 1993, I had taped Ron Insana interviewing Jimmy Rogers.

Jimmy Rogers was certain that interest rates were going higher, stocks much lower and commodities were the place to be. DJIA about 3400 then, T-bills at 6%, you tell me where the CRB was at then, but it might even have been higher then than now.

He said that throughout the 90s, until he left to see the world. His Barron's Roundtable contrtibutions were hilarious - I remember his recommendation of nutmeg in one roundtable.

I sent that tape to Ron Insana sometime in the late 90s. All the Crapvision talent seemed to revere this guy, and he was a one-note for a decade. BTW, he was the Barron's cover story in 1988, "Bear On The World" with the DJIA at 2400 or so.

Bear markets happen every so often. Calling for them permanently does note make you a seer when they eventually reoccur.

He exudes contempt. Hey, maybe if I had his money I would have the same smug tood. But send me a nickel for every time you hear him say "Maybe with your money, but not with mine."

I had heard that Rogers' commodities fund was down nearly 50% on this most recent bear market rally. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), the retail class shares of his fund is still not available ($10,000 minimum). It's going through some sort of SEC review. The investor class shares are available, but it has a minimum investment of $100,000.

Archived