Perfectly Normal Markets- 4/28/23

Rate this topic

“In San Francisco, the office vacancy rate ‘is about 30 percent, or about 35 million square feet that is not currently being used,’ Colin Yasukochi with commercial real estate firm CBRE told NBC News Bay Area. ‘And that’s the highest that we’ve ever seen in San Francisco.’ A former San Francisco WeWork building has seen its property value slashed by about 66 percent, according to Trepp, which tracks CRE data. The building at 25 Taylor Street was once almost entirely leased to WeWork, the formerly highflying co-work startup. The building was valued at $28.1 million in 2014, but was recently appraised at $9.5 million, according to Trepp.”

18 minutes ago, sandy beach said:

“In San Francisco, the office vacancy rate ‘is about 30 percent, or about 35 million square feet that is not currently being used,’ Colin Yasukochi with commercial real estate firm CBRE told NBC News Bay Area. ‘And that’s the highest that we’ve ever seen in San Francisco.’ A former San Francisco WeWork building has seen its property value slashed by about 66 percent, according to Trepp, which tracks CRE data. The building at 25 Taylor Street was once almost entirely leased to WeWork, the formerly highflying co-work startup. The building was valued at $28.1 million in 2014, but was recently appraised at $9.5 million, according to Trepp.”

No wonder nobody wants to work downtown anymore with all the clochards, drug addicts and other braindead housing in their tents on the sidewalk.

They gotta sack the mayor and throw her into prison.

• Like 1

Is that a lot?

NYU Stern School of Business

Interest rate risk beyond MBS: The estimated losses on securities are only part of the total unrealized losses banks suffered from the rise in interest rates. Loans, like securities, also lose value when interest rates go up. Total loans plus securities as of December 2022 was $17.5 trillion. Applying the average duration of loans and securities (3.9 years), the total unrealized losses on total bank credit as of December 2022 is $17.5 × 3.9 × 2.5% = $1.7 trillion. This is only slightly less than total bank equity capital of $2.1 trillion in 2022. Hence, the losses from the interest rate increase are comparable to the total equity in the entire banking system.

https://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~pschnabl/research/DSS_SVB.pdf

2 hours ago, sandy beach said:

25 Taylor St, San Francisco, CA for sale - Primary Photo - Image 1 of 3

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/25-Taylor-St-San-Francisco-CA/24293206/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fxfox said:

No wonder nobody wants to work downtown anymore with all the clochards, drug addicts and other braindead housing in their tents on the sidewalk.

I'm not personally familiar with the squalor into which NYC fell in the 1970s & 80s. But the city became notorious for crime  & murder.

New Yorkers fear return of 'bad old days' after shootings surge | Financial  Times

On a related note, in 1993 residents voted in the first Republican as Mayor more or less since WWII. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mayors_of_New_York_City

Conceding for argument's sake that all the policy goals pursued in San Francisco are noble & pure, it seems apparent on my aperiodic visits that the execution of that policy has been, to put it generously... "spotty."  In some ways, the situation is not as bad as it is caricatured by rightwing media, which otherwise loves demonizing the place; but it is also far worse than those running the city and their starry-eyed supporters will admit. Quality of life there is down. I've walked my younger son past junkies shooting up on our way back from his doctor's appointment far afield from the Tenderloin or downtown. I've walked down long BART corridors at the Civic Center station lined with junkies, some cooking & others shooting.

For its part, San Francisco established itself as a safe-zone on the eve of an opioid wave.  I've watched youtube interviews of addicts from other parts of the country who moved to SF because they knew they could get their fix and not get hassled - acknowledging that if they shot up in public back home the way they can on Market Street, they'd go straight to prison. As a result....

There are about 24,500 injection drug users in San Francisco — that’s about 8,500 more people than the nearly 16,000 students enrolled in San Francisco Unified School District’s 15 high schools and illustrates the scope of the problem on the city’s streets.

It’s also an increase of about 2,000 serious drug users since 2012, the last time a study was done.

https://www.beatiteap.com/san-francisco-drug-addicts-outnumber-students/

If you've ever known any addict of anything, you know solutions are not simple. Supply of affordable housing is another component that has rendered urban California less attractive. With recession looming, the situation seems poised to get worse before it gets better.

But I would say much like NYC in the 1970 & 80s: only the foolhardy bet against San Francisco. And if its denizens surprise the nation eventually by voting in a Republican mayor, I'd buy up all the possible real estate I could manage.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, fxfox said:

Yes right. I remember that part of the press conference very well. Poopwell lied, 100% sure.

This is NOT NEWS. I pointedly remarked at that moment that he was lying. 

Once a lying bastard coward, always a lying bastard coward. He has shown himself to be that repeatedly during his tenure. Why anyone ever had any faith in that guy mystifies me. Yet Yellen, who was one of the bravest Fed Chairs in history, the ONLY ONE SINCE VOLCKER to do the right thing, is repeatedly the subject of bitter criticism that has not one iota of truth to it. 

She may be a horseshit Treasury Secretary, but as Fed Chair she did the right thing despite Bernanke's trap, and despite Powell reversing her policy by orders of magnitude. 

Bernanke was a master criminal. Powell is an idiot criminal. 

So, looking at the Balance sheet, there's a $45 billion NEGATIVE Liability. A negative liability is an asset. 

WTF are they saying? It's a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enema.

image.png

1 hour ago, DrStool said:

This is NOT NEWS. I pointedly remarked at that moment that he was lying. 

Once a lying bastard coward, always a lying bastard coward. He has shown himself to be that repeatedly during his tenure. Why anyone ever had any faith in that guy mystifies me. Yet Yellen, who was one of the bravest Fed Chairs in history, the ONLY ONE SINCE VOLCKER to do the right thing, is repeatedly the subject of bitter criticism that has not one iota of truth to it. 

She may be a horseshit Treasury Secretary, but as Fed Chair she did the right thing despite Bernanke's trap, and despite Powell reversing her policy by orders of magnitude. 

Bernanke was a master criminal. Powell is an idiot criminal. 

You've made me think differently about Yellen.

1 hour ago, Jimi said:

I'm not personally familiar with the squalor into which NYC fell in the 1970s & 80s. But the city became notorious for crime  & murder.

New Yorkers fear return of 'bad old days' after shootings surge | Financial  Times

On a related note, in 1993 residents voted in the first Republican as Mayor more or less since WWII. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mayors_of_New_York_City

Conceding for argument's sake that all the policy goals pursued in San Francisco are noble & pure, it seems apparent on my aperiodic visits that the execution of that policy has been, to put it generously... "spotty."  In some ways, the situation is not as bad as it is caricatured by rightwing media, which otherwise loves demonizing the place; but it is also far worse than those running the city and their starry-eyed supporters will admit. Quality of life there is down. I've walked my younger son past junkies shooting up on our way back from his doctor's appointment far afield from the Tenderloin or downtown. I've walked down long BART corridors at the Civic Center station lined with junkies, some cooking & others shooting.

For its part, San Francisco established itself as a safe-zone on the eve of an opioid wave.  I've watched youtube interviews of addicts from other parts of the country who moved to SF because they knew they could get their fix and not get hassled - acknowledging that if they shot up in public back home the way they can on Market Street, they'd go straight to prison. As a result....

https://www.beatiteap.com/san-francisco-drug-addicts-outnumber-students/

If you've ever known any addict of anything, you know solutions are not simple. Supply of affordable housing is another component that has rendered urban California less attractive. With recession looming, the situation seems poised to get worse before it gets better.

But I would say much like NYC in the 1970 & 80s: only the foolhardy bet against San Francisco. And if its denizens surprise the nation eventually by voting in a Republican mayor, I'd buy up all the possible real estate I could manage.

Thanks a lot Jimi. I had in mind the other day to ask you about the situation in SF since you live in the area. Always good to get info first and not filtered by left or right wing media. I saw the same youtube videos you mentioned and was really shocked. I thought it would get better once pandemic is over, but it seems it even got worse.

A negative image of s city or a part of a city lasts for a very long time. In Germany every kid knows „The Bronx“, although no one was ever there. If a place looks a bit rotten, we always said and say till today:“Looks like da Bronx!. To have and maintain a positive image is very important for a city.

Right now SF still has a positive image, it has a unique „aura“. but if these problems go on for another 10 years then maybe not. But it will rise again from the ashes, that‘s for sure.

5 hours ago, fxfox said:

How would throwing the mayor into prison solve the problem of clochards, drug addicts and braindead in cities?

You know in the US, there's virtually no social safety net for these people, unlike most European countries.