US Treasury Crushes the Stock Rally 2/10/23

Yesterday I reported on how new US Treasury debt issuance policy is crushing the stock market rally. It's policy, and it will continue. The report delves into the mechanics of how, and why, the government can continue to issue massive amounts of debt despite the debt ceiling. It completely changes the outlook for stocks and bonds. And we know how long it will last. 

The effects of the policy were clear in the markets yesterday as the Treasury announced another $63 billion in net new issuance for next week, along with $33 billion already announced. While the pace of issuance will slow from here on, it will still be a huge problem for the market to absorb. Days like yesterday will become norm, rather than the exception.

Yesterday, the ES 24 hour S&P futures broke a triangle pattern. Triangle breakdowns often lead to explosive moves. Yesterday was no exception. The futures hit a sport line overnight, bounced weakly, and subsequently plunged through that. Now, 6:30 AM ET the futures are testing another important sport line at 4053. The most important sport level below that, the January 31 low of 3894, is in the market's sights. 

The market has been running in a 4 day cycle in recent weeks. The low of that cycle is due right now. This cycle has been the manifestation of an apparent merger of the nominal 3 day and 5 day cycles. I would not bet the farm on the duration remaining at 4 days, although I would expect another minor bounce here. The 5 day cycle projection is 4044. If we do a 4 day basis its 4056, right here. However, there's a 2-3 day cycle projection of 4018.  And using the flat base of the complex top pattern as a measuring basis, the measured move target of this move is 4000-4010. 

Any of these are plausible targets based on the location of sport lines on this chart. As you can see, there's a nice little crash channel working, and hourly oscillators are buried at basement levels. That cuts both ways. As long as they stay this low, the market will be in crash mode. The first low is unlikely to be THE low. I'd expect to see a significant positive divergence develop before a decent sized bounce. 

-8y3r

For moron the markets, see:

If you're serious about the underlying forces of supply and demand that drive the markets, join me! d

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

after reading your report and watching the michigan sentiment survey on Inflation

UNIVERSITY MICHIGAN 1 YR INFLATION PRELIM ACTUAL 4.2% (FORECAST 4%, PREVIOUS 3.9%)

I have come to the conclusion the whole thing is rigged to fit the narrative Lee lays out. The Treasury's demand for liquidity is masked by a narrative that provides the excuse for price volatility.

Bit of a pop off 4060 in progress I see.  From looking at my Daily Charts...that area looks like the last bastion of safety before the floodgates open a little wider.  I have to be honest...if this holds...a retest is not out of the question.  I'd personally like to see the dam break here...but, you know the rules.

A Pivot in Time

Until we get some form of confirmation...if anyone is sitting around bored.  Perhaps you can find the time to answer a couple of questions:

How many days are there from the low on October 13th to the recent high on February 2nd?

2046590787_112-February102023.thumb.jpg.c7a8a5596a11762504045d53b41fe661.jpg

That is 1/2 of?

Here a little...there a little...until it adds up to something that no one can take away from you.

TCG

1 hour ago, The CoinGuy said:

Bit of a pop off 4060 in progress I see.  From looking at my Daily Charts...that area looks like the last bastion of safety before the floodgates open a little wider.  I have to be honest...if this holds...a retest is not out of the question.  I'd personally like to see the dam break here...but, you know the rules.

A Pivot in Time

Until we get some form of confirmation...if anyone is sitting around bored.  Perhaps you can find the time to answer a couple of questions:

How many days are there from the low on October 13th to the recent high on February 2nd?

2046590787_112-February102023.thumb.jpg.c7a8a5596a11762504045d53b41fe661.jpg

That is 1/2 of?

Here a little...there a little...until it adds up to something that no one can take away from you.

TCG

112;224

That pop off 4060...unfortunately felt pretty solid.

Yesterday's decline...well, it needed confirmation.

Although, personally speaking...I think the next two weeks should get quite exciting.

TCG

oh...and..

That SPX vs YLD vs USD chart is...interesting.  I'm going to have to take a few days to mull that over.  I've never looked at the relationship between the three in that manner.  I like that chart...

3 minutes ago, The CoinGuy said:

That pop off 4060...unfortunately felt pretty solid.

Yesterday's decline...well, it needed confirmation.

Although, personally speaking...I think the next two weeks should get quite exciting.

TCG

oh...and..

That SPX vs YLD vs USD chart is...interesting.  I'm going to have to take a few days to mull that over.  I've never looked at the relationship between the three in that manner.  I like that chart...

That's just dollar vs. stocks. I see no correlation over the long haul. Sometimes they move together, sometimes they move inversely. 

Archived