This is Different and Mysterious 1/18/23

The US Treasury will sell $191 billion net in new T-bills this week. How? They're up against the debt ceiling. I guess they'll pay down intragovernmental debt. But why. Why, O Load?

14 hours ago, DrStool said:

What in holy hell. How are they doing this? 

01/24/2023 Bills $226,000 $124,991 $101,009
01/19/2023 Bills $168,000 $98,999 $69,001
01/17/2023 Bills $151,000 $129,973 $21,027

Does Madame Secretary want to force the crisis sooner rather than later? Do they want to make sure that market rates continue to rise? The 4 week T-bill is now up 65 bp since the Fed last played ketchup with the Fake Funds rate. 

-1jrn

It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery, inside in an enema.  And what comes out? 

Meanwhile, stocks have arrived at a permanently high plateau. At least on the hourly chart of the 24 hour ES, S&P fucutures. Stay tuned for further developments as they happen. Net will end soon, and then what? Long Live the Bear. The Bear is Dead

-1jlo

And try not to fall asleep. 

With the Treasury sucking $191 billion in cash from the market, and probably also scheduling big bond and note issuance for end of month, it will be interesting to see how the bond market behaves. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Debt Ceiling

-1jr0

For moron the markets, see:

If you're serious about the underlying forces of supply and demand that drive the markets, join me

If you are a new visitor to the Stool, please register and join in! To post your observations and charts, and snide, but good-natured, comments, click here to register. Be sure to respond to the confirmation email which is sent instantly. If not in your inbox, check your spam filter.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There must be quite a tale to tell about the Treasuries December bill paydown.  A story we will never hear.  Who made the call?  Yellen?  Was the Fed onboard?  Were they even told before the paydowns were announced?  

And now this bill bomb cyclone.

Anyone else getting sick of the non-stop drum beating on the China re-opening story being pushed by every news outlet and knuckle dragger brought on the financial TV programs to justify higher stock prices everywhere in the world.

I am not saying that China reopening will not be a positive thing (when/if real economic activity happens), but you could also get more then you wished for with higher inflation.  Look at Oil, Copper, ect... moving up higher on the hopes of stronger demand.

Have enough retail suckers been pulled into the "Great Stocks of China" for the rug to be pulled out from under them for a quick 24% overbought trip down?  I'm about to find out, long YANG.

5 hours ago, DrStool said:

The US Treasury will sell $191 billion net in new T-bills this week. How? They're up against the debt ceiling. I guess they'll pay down intragovernmental debt. But why. Why, O Load?

20 hours ago, DrStool said:

What in holy hell. How are they doing this? 

01/24/2023 Bills $226,000 $124,991 $101,009
01/19/2023 Bills $168,000 $98,999 $69,001
01/17/2023 Bills $151,000 $129,973 $21,027

Do you think that today's selloff has anything to do with this? 

Why, yes. Yes I do. 

2 hours ago, potatohead said:

An absolute must Listen....warning: do not drink any liquids while watching

deep fake, its gonna be popular and more popular and some day we could nuke somebody based on deep fake or star a war.

Archived