Your Tax Dollars At Work Through the Plunge Protection Team 10/14/22

4 minutes ago, potatohead said:

Are most Treasuries on banks balance sheet in the form of  held-to-maturity or held-for-trading/ available-for-sale. I was under the impression that the majority of treasuries are  held-to-maturity from an accounting basis and not marked to market.  Where as the primary dealers have to mark to market their losses.

Correct.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have touched on the subject of unrealized losses on bank balance sheets in a several reports over the past 6 months. They can't remain unrealized indefinitely as overleveraged banks get collateral calls. Depositors pulling deposits to buy Treasuries is a form of collateral call. 

QT is a constant margin call on bank portfolios. They can't sell their conventional loan portfolios. They can't sell the esoteric stuff. What can they sell? 

Treasuries. 

7 hours ago, DrStool said:

The Federal Plunge Protection Team (PPT) swung into action early yesterday, triggering a marketwide short squeeze with spectacular results. But these interventions can only last so long. The market must then sink or swim on its own. 5 day cycle projections on the ES 24 hour futures chart of the S&P 500 says that this one will swim to a target of 3725, and then start sinking again. 

It topped out at 3721. I was off by 4 points. Sorry. 

21 hours ago, DrStool said:

I have touched on the subject of unrealized losses on bank balance sheets in a several reports over the past 6 months. They can't remain unrealized indefinitely as overleveraged banks get collateral calls. Depositors pulling deposits to buy Treasuries is a form of collateral call. 

QT is a constant margin call on bank portfolios. They can't sell their conventional loan portfolios. They can't sell the esoteric stuff. What can they sell? 

Treasuries. 

Should we be buying them?

Archived