Second Attempt at Prison Breakout 4/1/21

Thank god I just stocked up on bananas and clementines. 

Everywhere I have been around the Mediterranean in the past 6 years, which literally is just about everywhere you can be around the Med, groceries have always been dirt cheap. Spain, France, Italy, the Balkans, Greece. 30-40% less than I used to pay in Florida. 

Except for great bread. That's 80% less. 

Big commercial bakeries are ripping off Americans on bread.

The European model that protects small business really is better. It's more convenient, and most goods are cheaper. Why? I don't know. 

The thing is, there are big box stores here too. But they're not that much cheaper than the corner grocer, and definitely not cheaper than the public markets. I love shopping at the outdoor produce markets. I usually get an apartment within a couple of blocks. 

The meat markets and fish markets are indoors, and in the Covid era, I stay away from them. I have meats delivered from the super market. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

My household has recognized supermarket prices increasing - everything from vegetables to beer.  Beef prices can be almost double from last year depending on cut of meat.  The only thing I do not see increasing is chicken. No idea why.

Maybe because it takes longer to increase the supply of beef?

Also cow farts. 

Always a problem.  

2 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

My household has recognized supermarket prices increasing - everything from vegetables to beer.  Beef prices can be almost double from last year depending on cut of meat.  The only thing I do not see increasing is chicken. No idea why.

Mrs. Finger was just saying the other day that she is appalled at what food costs in the supermarket. And speaking of Kellogg's, take a look at the size of cereal boxes these days. They are basically snack size now.

I read somewhere (forget where) that meat prices were up due to supply chain disruptions due to covid. Farmers couldn't get items to market and were holding onto their livestock longer, breeding fewer livestock, and having to just dump out milk, etc. I know that a bunch of meat packing plants were closed last year due to covid breakouts in the midwest, but I would think that would have been pretty temporary. But since it takes months to get livestock ready for market, maybe shortage caused by reduced breeding are showing up. No idea. I was a farm kid, so I should know this stuff, but it is long since forgotten. 

In any event, I guess it's time to look at some inflation plays. 

Much as I try to support Australian produced foods I despair at the generally bland palate of the average Aussie.  I mean why would I buy a very ordinary can of pumpkin soup produced in Australia when I can purchase a pumpkin and coconut soup with delicate spices made in Thailand?  I agree with Doc's comments re bread and it's the same here: fluffy, tasteless construction with virtually no nutrition.  I buy imported wholegrain German rye bread which costs the same and one tasty slice is perfectly satisfying with a meal.  Likewise with butter: no Aussie dairy makes garlic butter so I buy a Danish garlic butter which I use on everything, sweet and savoury.

I buy fresh garlic and throw it in the oven with a little olive oil at 180C for 20 minutes. Awesome! 

I avoid butter, sadly. It killed me once. I won't let it happen again. Something else will have to get me when the time comes. 

A couple weeks ago I bought this loaf of bread at one of the 10 bakeries within 3 blocks of my apartment. It cost 66 cents, US. 

PXL_20210318_120800302.jpg

It was marked down from 88 cents because it was after noon, and they close at 1 PM. 

I put it in a freezer bag, froze it, and enjoyed it as toast every morning for a week. It tasted as good as it looks. 

1 minute ago, DrStool said:

I buy fresh garlic and throw it in the oven with a little olive oil at 180C for 20 minutes. Awesome! 

I avoid butter, sadly. It killed me once. I won't let it happen again. Something else will have to get me when the time comes. 

A couple weeks ago I bought this loaf of bread at one of the 10 bakeries within 3 blocks of my apartment. It cost 66 cents, US. 

PXL_20210318_120800302.jpg

It was marked down from 88 cents because it was after noon, and they close at 1 PM. 

I put it in a freezer bag, froze it, and enjoyed it as toast every morning for a week. It tasted as good as it looks. 

Gawd. I would weigh 468 pounds if there were 10 bakeries within 3 blocks of me. 

I have one slice of toast with whole natural peanut butter and whole, natural raspberry/blueberry preserves from the public market. That's the one thing I pay premium for. $6 for a medium sized jar. I swear the guy grows the berries out back and makes the jam in his kitchen.

I admit that in season, I buy the whole berries and boil them down myself. I add just a touch of sugar. Otherwise they're inedible.  

Admittedly, the bread requires restraint. The bread here is off the charts good. Different from French bread, but more interesting in many ways. Some bakeries are just so so, but most of them are fantastic.  

It's what I love about living in European towns. If I run out of bananas, I go downstairs to the corner and buy some. Needed a box of salt too this morning. This little grocer on my corner, with a store not more than 250 sq. ft. had that too. And her prices are no more than the big supermarket a couple blocks down. 

1 hour ago, DrStool said:

Back in the day, fucutures traded above cash. 

Mi culpa. Now I see what you meant. Reading comprehension issues. 

That's it for me--see y'all next week. Thanks also for the prompt follow-up with my subscription and login issues. Appreciate the customer service! 

Archived