So Hard to Process 1/8/20

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey SiP- I've been on Otodom, looking for an apartment in Sródmieście and Wola. Even with the USD collapse, they are still extremely cheap for an American. I mean the idea of getting a prime downtown apartment in a world class national capital for $700-750/mo is crazy. Even though last year it would have been 650. 🙃

I hope to go to Warsaw for 3 months to do some genealogy research and see the homeland of my ancestors. My grandfather came from Makow Mazowiecky. I found his birth registered in Nowy Dwor. My grandmother and great grandfather lived in Zychlin before coming to US.  Found my grandfather's birth record but haven't been able to find my babcia yet. 

9 hours ago, DrStool said:

Hey SiP- I've been on Otodom, looking for an apartment in Sródmieście and Wola. Even with the USD collapse, they are still extremely cheap for an American. I mean the idea of getting a prime downtown apartment in a world class national capital for $700-750/mo is crazy. Even though last year it would have been 650. 🙃

I hope to go to Warsaw for 3 months to do some genealogy research and see the homeland of my ancestors. My grandfather came from Makow Mazowiecky. I found his birth registered in Nowy Dwor. My grandmother and great grandfather lived in Zychlin before coming to US.  Found my grandfather's birth record but haven't been able to find my babcia yet. 

In terms of price, its all about

1. local salaries

2. USD Strenght

In terms of USD, USDPLN is still pretty high (3.65) having in mind that before GFC it touched 2.0

so for a person with USD - yeap, its cheap now. 

more over Polish gov wants to implement more export driven policy which means weaker PLN vs USD or EUR. Even just new year and Xmax there were 3 CB interventions (by NBP, polish central bank) so they could send more money to gov. coffers. so they push Usdpln higher by selling PLN. 

In terms of salaries, those are 50% lower than in advanced economies and the biggest difference is betaeen us and Ireland. Thats also a good example since Irish minimum wage is the biggest in EU and equals 1900 something EUR (so around 15 USD per hour which Biden wants in US, so the same as in Dublin) 

polish minimum wage is around 620 EUR (750 USD). 

avg pay in Warsaw is of course higher (capital of Poland) and equals 900 EUR.

in terms of rent

1 room 2000 PLN

2 rooms around 2500 PLN

3 rooms closer to 3200 PLN

please take a loot at the description since you CANT compare prices of rents in Poland. there is no standard. 

So some ads have official administrative rent included in the offering, but some people put info in ads, that you need to pay for adm. rent (it depends on apartment size starting at 400 PLN till 1000 PLN for big apartments with 4 rooms) 

So do check whether the official community rent ia added. 

In terms of rents, well, due to covid there was a 24% drop (!) in rents in Warsaw so ita a good time for you  come. 

let me know when you would be in Poland, I could help you like with mobile phone ("njumobile" is the cheapest and "Premium mobile") which you could buy in groceries stores, peteol station or via internet (DHL, UPS will come to your home to check your ID). 

Best! 

Archived