Bear Beatings Continue, Waiting For Morale To Improve 12/4/20

The stock market is more jittery as the 10 year attacks and then backs off from a new high in yield. 

On the hourly chart, the ES S&P futures are hewing to the centerline of an uptrend stemming from Tuesday's double bottom. Hourly oscillators are dead flat, but slightly above the zero line. This reflects the straight line nature of the trend as it fluctuates narrowly around the regression mean. 

It's all so bizarre. 

Technically, resistance is at yesterday's peak of 3682. Support is around 3667. The trend centerline, to which price has been sticking, is currently around 3675 heading for 3679 at the closing bell at 4 PM ET. 

While the pattern has a bit of wedginess, it also has the outline of a launch pad. I'd go with that for now. They'd need to break 3671 at a minimum to even have a prayer of getting anything going on the downside. 

I come into today about 30% long in my trading account. 0% short. The rest is cash.   My hotlist for swing trading has 9 potential longs and 6 potential shorts. I'm looking to add a couple on each side depending on how the pattern develops during the day. Probably not until 2:30 turn time.  I'll let you know if I think the tape looks interesting either way. 

tvc_c63f0d2642060597b86bbd642cca0420.png

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My superficial, uninvestigated, current working-hypothesis-since-breakfast-and-until-I-abandon-or-forget-it is that sharp declines in the cryptocurrency complex will be the bell rung at the top this cycle.

I'm not a crypto-skeptic, per se. But I have done my formal studies of money & sovereignty.

The gleeful (smug?) pile-in and emotional commitment to crypto (mainly by 20-something & 30-somethings?) is approaching "eyeball metric ca. 2000" analogous euphoridiocy(TM).

The hyper-liquidity afforded a market for something no one can see, few can cogently describe & explain, but is certain victoriously to supplant established monetary alternatives seems... overwrought.

What's the difference between bitcoin and tesla?

What's the difference between cryto in general and stocks in general, other than those that pay dividends out of earnings?

What are dividends, you say?

Why, back in the 50s, that's why we bought stocks. To get the dividends. Nowadays, instead of paying dividends, companies buy back their stocks and that way they can pay the dividends to the executives who deserve them, rather than the ridiculous, do-nothing, stock holders. Besides, the buybacks make stocks go up. Dividends are so mid-century modern.   

The longs on my hot list all ran this morning. So I'll hold off on adding. The real question is whether to harvest profits this afternoon or hold over the weekend. I'll let you know. 

As for my hotlist shorts, I'm kind of "meh." They're at a fulcrum here. If they come off to the downside I'll nibble. If they pop, I'll stay away.  

I know this guy Ed, who's a real con man. They call him Ed the Con, or Con Ed for short. 

I told him I wasn't interested. 

He said it's a great chart. But I'm not to excited about elect trick utilities, expecially with what's going on today.  

They pay dividends, you know. 

And they're rigged. 

As Shakespeare famously wrote:

To flatten or not to flatten, 

That is the question. 

Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune

Over the weekend, 

or to take the ARMS index against a sea of troubles, 

and by flattening, avoid them. 

Aye, there's the rub. 

First, let's kill all the economists. 

Archived