Back In Business 9/11/20

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, sandy beach said:

How are you're lungs holding out Jimi? My eyes are watering from the smoke.

It’s insane, right? I tried explaining to friends what Wednesday was like - there just weren’t words to capture it.  We have an air filter we run and we also have an Ambient Weather system with air particle add-on that we us to measure air quality indoors. That’s allowed us to keep particle count indoors under 100. 

Hooray?

I mean, all we need is a cranky Hayward Fault, I guess.

How you holding up?

You were smart to buy the air filter. I thought no way this would last this long so we didn't get one. Instead I bought two generators this spring thinking I'd be all set for the PG&E outages this summer. Turns out I picked the wrong prophylactic! So at this point I'm hoping the smoke cures COVID-19 so there will be an upside :)

56 minutes ago, Jimi said:

I don't do ewaves or cycles or pretty much anything useful, but can I be an asshole, too?

No, you can't be.

But you can have one.  

Besides, I am the biggest asshole here. So anyone who aspires to assholism should keep that in mind. 

Our big trip this summer was to a VRBO in Yosemite the week before Labor Day. It was smoky there - Half Dome was sort of like gazing upon the San Gabriel Mountains from, say, Pasadena, ca. 1978 through LA smog. Purpleair indicated it was "only" around 120 while we were there, so we did some modest hikes, but we did keep windows open during the night in case the smell of overwhelming smoke was the signal to GTFO. We also took our sons horseback riding near Fish Ranch, about 50 miles south of the park... which is near where they were later evacuating the campers from the lake into which they retreated.

My buddy I met at Cal who grew up in Piedmont moved to Portland, OR was giving us grief about a week ago for not having heeded his advice to move there 2 decades ago; now fires threaten to sweep into Portland proper.

Guy I played in a band with in college moved to Colton, OR about 10 years ago - nice piece of farmland. I heard yesterday through a mutual friend that he & his wife had to evacuate abruptly. I hope his house remains.

A schoolmate of my youngest has a mom in a local Fire Department - she's been gone fighting fires for weeks and her husband told me she & her crew had one of those "Oh my god, we're going to die" moments, only one of three in 20 years of doing such work.

It's really freaking sad.

If we could just get 10 million or so Californians to move to Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico etc, the country could be saved.  

Seriously though, I hope that all my friends in Cali stay safe and well. With any luck, climate change would bring more rain to Cali. 🙃

2 hours ago, Jimi said:

It's really freaking sad.

That's intense and encapsulates 2020 for me as well.

Cal Berkeley 1995 also - lived on Telegraph Ave.  I remember - I remember when we used to have rain! The bell tower in the rain on the way to class in the A.M. - that was my intro to Berkeley. I thought the rain would never end.

I must aplogize to JP6 aka Feedfool, for calling him an asshole.  

It turns out that he had shown his work in a different thread.

Had I known about it, I would not have called him an asshole. 

Sorry, JP.  Nice work. Unfortunately, I hadn't seen it because I never venture off the Daily Stool. The Look Out Below Board had been dormant for years.  

Despite our issues that go back many years, I find that your work has redeeming social value. I would welcome you continuing to hand down your sweeping pronouncements from on high to the rest of us peons and assorted other assholes who may or may not be present. 

As my blessed dad used to say, may he RIP, "Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one."        

For some reason, as I advance deep into old age, I have a desire to see this community rebuilt, which probably means that I need to restrain my temper, and refrain from outbursts of mental distemper. 

Archived