3, 2, 1, Aaaaannndddd.... 8/7/20

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, DrStool said:

The next 4 months in the US will be sheer hell. Absolute chaos. This will end very badly. We just don't know how yet. 

My guess, as it was 3 years ago when I first predicted exactly what we're seeing now, is a military coup to remove Trump. That's the least worst case actually. The worst case is if he stays in office illegally.  There will be bloodshed on the streets. 

My older son starts 8th grade in a few weeks... remotely. I'm not among those who believe that there's going to be any quick vaccine solution to the current problem - I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I think we're likely still deep in the covid-soup come next spring.

Since positively everything in the US is politicized, including simple health stuff that might bring some measure of control to the pandemic as enjoyed elsewhere in the OECD, I'm not clear how any semblance of normalcy returns in a 12-month time frame.  This is especially true with a Trump "reelection" or permanence under any set of scenarios.  Which is to say, either Biden is inaugurated successfully in January 2021, and he shuts down the country for 6 weeks to break the spread (and that succeeds), or the further deterioration of quality of life stateside will continue to run its course.  Driving the main boulevard near our house watching the "For Lease" signs propagate and then get dusty is a measure of on-going disnormality.  

So, I'm looking at boarding schools for the older son abroad... someplace - any place - where he might avoid Zoom and carouse around like a teenager should in proximity to others.  He's wicked smart - posted top scores in the region on national math-competitions - so he has options. We watched "Crazy Rich Asians" together about a month ago and he fell in love with the scenes of Singapore.  "Great - go to boarding school in Singapore!" He's not ruled it out.

The mismanagement here has been so extreme, and the prospects for indefinite mismanagement paired with authoritarianism make flight into difficult exile increasingly reasonable.  It is so sad. I get so sad sometimes when I think about what's become acceptable... death, sickness, bailouts of the 1%.  It is so unrelentingly sad.

Archived