I was on a fellowship to Germany in Bonn the year Holbrooke was ambassador there. There was a group of Americans students in a separate program who did internships with German members of parliament. I met and drank lots of beer with one of them, a very wicked smart libertarian. This guy:

http://www.afn.org/~afn18566/walls.html

Among the events they got to attend was some reception at the American Embassy. Holbrooke was present - most of the young Americans were intimidated to go talk to him, but not Walls. He went up to him and as the story goes, engaged Holbrooke in his characteristically affable & offbeat manner. This helped break the ice, and his colleagues gathered around to here the banter.

At some point, Holbrooke asked, "So, what you hoping to do professionally?" And Walls said, "Well, I was sort of thinking I want your job." The other uptight interns couldn't believe he'd said such a thing, but Holbrooke was reportedly very amused.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, but I've got Minnesota in my pick 'em pool as an upset.

:huh:

Yeah, I know... that ain't workin' out for me right 'bout now.

Well, well, you get to go to Germany and meet very impotent people and all I get are these lousy photos of mobile love vans on the side of the road near Cella, courtesy of my lovely wife! :)

Nice touch with the Neon in the front window!

mobilelovevan.jpg

Pimco’s Gross Puts $4.4 Million Own Money on Muni Bond Rebound

Dec. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Bill Gross, the co-chief investment officer of Pacific Investment Management Co., spent $4.4 million of his own money this month to purchase shares of five municipal-bond funds run by his firm after tax-exempt debt tumbled.

Gross, 66, who manages the world’s biggest bond fund at Pimco, has more than doubled his holdings of the firm’s closed- end municipal bond funds, according to Securities and Exchange Commission data. He bought about 451,000 shares of Pimco municipal bond funds in December, bringing his total holdings to about 878,000 shares.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-12-13/pimco-s-gross-puts-4-4-million-own-money-on-muni-bond-rebound.html

You've just identified where supply turded the market back in 2008. Let's see if they have enough to continue with a "capital gains 2011 rally" or else.

I'm thinking a nice corrective weak week. That would be nice. Then maybe a Santa rally. A win for both bears and bulls. Everybody has a nice merry holiday season that way. It's best for all, overall.

Bears with quick winning trades for the week and fresh confidence can run out to Best Big Box and buy a new big screen or home theatre for all those Nutflix movies...or something...or wherever.

Archived