Photo
- - - - -

IDS World Markets Tues 3rd March 09

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
354 replies to this topic

#1 aussiebear

aussiebear

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,521 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://finance.yahoo.com/intlindices

#2 aussiebear

aussiebear

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Moderators
  • 18,521 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:54 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://money.cnn.com...s/morning_call/

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.kitco.com

Posted Image

http://www.kitconet....ase_metals.html

Energy futures

#3 aussiebear

aussiebear

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Moderators
  • 18,521 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

Posted Image

Another hefty down day. All Ords -2.2% with REITS leading the selling, -4.8%, Gold -4.3% and Utilities -3%. There's a couple of greens, Healthcare +1% and IT +0.1%.

#4 aussiebear

aussiebear

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Moderators
  • 18,521 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:07 PM

Australia’s Retail Sales Unexpectedly Increase 0.2%

March 3 (Bloomberg) -- Australian retail sales unexpectedly rose in January as households spent more on food and clothing after the central bank cut interest rates and the government gave cash handouts to families.

Retail sales, seasonally adjusted, advanced 0.2 percent from December, when they climbed 3.8 percent, the most in eight years, the Bureau of Statistics said in Sydney today. The median forecast of 19 economists surveyed by Bloomberg News was for a 0.5 percent drop.

#5 aussiebear

aussiebear

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Moderators
  • 18,521 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:14 PM

Empty Containers Clog South Korea’s Busan Port as Trade Slumps

March 3 (Bloomberg) -- South Korea’s biggest port is running out of room to store shipping containers, said Park Jung Ho, an official at one of Busan’s nine operators. The bigger concern is that the boxes are almost all empty.

Container trade at Busan, the world’s fifth-largest port, has fallen about 40 percent in recent months, said Park, at Busan International Terminal Co. Even by stacking boxes five deep and leasing a nearby lot, he barely has room for the 31,700 containers that have piled up on his wharves.

-----------------

Mitsui O.S.K. Halts Iron-Ore Ship Orders on Demand

March 3 (Bloomberg) -- Mitsui O.S.K. Lines Ltd., the world’s largest operator of iron-ore vessels, halted new orders for the ships as demand for steel drops.

The company is scrapping up to seven iron-ore carriers and may not renew long-term charter contracts, Masafumi Yasuoka, a senior executive officer at the shipping line, said in an interview in Tokyo yesterday.

#6 aussiebear

aussiebear

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Moderators
  • 18,521 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:57 PM

Thanks, AB! I hope you are keeping your rentals full, as I noted your past post about the crash in housing pressure in the mining towns.

I rent out a couple of spare rooms in my house not buildings per se but, yes there are loads of rentals available at the moment. No probs from my end as incoming workers are not keen to lock themselves into leases for one reason or another so rooms are still in demand. I've got a couple of Gen Ys at the moment; one is a Kiwi, motivated, works hard and saves his money but the other one is clueless...

A recent conversation with the latter ran something like this:

:mellow: Wayde: I've got a headache so I don't think I'll go to work today...

<_< AB: So take a painkiller, you can't afford to skip any more work days. There's
a recession coming you know....

:huh: Wayde: What does that mean?

:ph34r: AB: It means that jobs will become scarce and others will be only too keen to step
into your shoes should your employer tire of your unreliability...

;) Wayde: Nah, they'd have to train someone else...

:rolleyes: AB: Trust me, Wayde, a shelf filler in a supermarket does not need a lot
of training....

#7 DrStool

DrStool

Chief of Stock Proctology

• Admin
  • 83,448 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:02 AM

http://wallstreetexa...sional-edition/

If your portfolio has you feeling irregular, for fast, long lasting relief, take a subscribatory. And support your local Stool!

#8 snorkels4

snorkels4

Stock Proctology Intern

• Members
  • Pip
  • 447 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:27 AM

and so it goes
http://clearstation....post_id=8977008

#9 joe3pack

joe3pack

Master of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:57 AM

the calendar i use ends every 365 days or so, after which a new age begins and lasts about as long.

it's all purdy crazy, i know. :P
Long UFB.

#10 joe3pack

joe3pack

Master of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:16 AM

and happy new revolution around the burning orb, jimi.

('scuse me while i kiss the sky.)
Long UFB.

#11 alceringa

alceringa

Professor of Stock Proctology

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:22 AM

It would not suprise me to see the girliebulls fill Ms. Russell's gap at 383-390.

After that, there's overhead resistance at 395 from the 7 day EMA and the top of the down channel.

Posted Image

If the girliebulls get to 395, think Ms. Russell has a surprise for them.

Posted Image
"Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing...after they have exhausted all other possibilities."
Churchill

"You can fool some of the people all of the time."
Lincoln

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
Jefferson

#12 aussiebear

aussiebear

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Moderators
  • 18,521 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:30 AM

Posted Image

Buyers came in after the initial fall but overall the action was fairly weak. All Ords finished -1% with the majority of sectors down to some degree.

Gold slid the most, -5.6% followed by Miners -3% and Materials -2.9%. At the other end, REITS did a bounce, +2.7% and Healthcare closed +1%.

The big miners were both down, BHP -2.4% and RIO -0.5% but it was the golds that took the brunt: Newcrest -5.9%, Newmont -6.9% and Lihir -5.7%.

Oils were reasonably stable: Woodside -0.1%, Santos -1.7% and Caltex +4%.

Asia mixed: China -1.1%, Honkers -2.3%, India +0.2% and Nikkers -0.7%.

Over to UK/Europe:

Footsie

Posted Image

DAX

Posted Image

CAC 40

Posted Image

http://finance.yahoo.com/

#13 aussiebear

aussiebear

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Moderators
  • 18,521 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:38 AM

Australia Leaves Rate at 3.25% After Recent Cuts

March 3 (Bloomberg) -- Australia’s central bank left its benchmark interest rate unchanged for the first time in seven months, saying the lowest borrowing costs in four decades and government spending are supporting the economy.

The nation’s currency surged after Governor Glenn Stevens kept the overnight cash rate target at 3.25 percent in Sydney today. Only four of 18 economists surveyed by Bloomberg forecast the decision. The rest tipped at least a quarter-point cut.

----------------

Australian Current Account Deficit Narrows on Exports

March 3 (Bloomberg) -- Australia’s current-account deficit narrowed in the three months through December as the value of coal exports surged by almost a third. Shipments of raw materials to countries including China are supporting Australia’s economy as a global recession deepens and consumers cut spending on imported goods.

“This may be the last contribution from exports,” said Su-Lin Ong, senior economist at RBC Capital Markets Ltd. in Sydney. “It reflects the lagged effects of previous coal and iron-ore contracts.”

Today’s report suggests Australia’s fourth-quarter GDP may be positive, which “is going to look very resilient against all the major economies,” Ong added.

#14 aussiebear

aussiebear

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Moderators
  • 18,521 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:47 AM

Provident Financial’s Profit Rises on Loan Demand

March 3 (Bloomberg) -- Provident Financial Plc, the 129- year-old lender to low-income households, said 2008 profit rose 14 percent as the U.K. entered recession, increasing demand for loans marketed by door-to-door salesmen.

Provident, the best-performing lender in the 249-member FTSE ASX Financials Index in 2008, has gained customers as high street banks, including Barclays Plc and Lloyds Banking Group Plc, tightened their lending criteria. The lender expects to weather the U.K.’s worst recession since 1980 because half of its 1.7 million customers are on some form of state benefit.

#15 Pretzel Logic

Pretzel Logic

Doctor of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:54 AM

ES did lotsa work tonight in the 710-715 area, and formed what looks like a double-top.

So... short again from an average of 713.75. Hoping to pick up 20 points or so.

Europe started off green and is now drifting flat -- we may see something similar here tomorrow morning. I don't think this wave is quite complete yet... not sure if we head up or down first, but at some point soon we'll prolly see a bounce up to around 715 (although the futures may have been it tonight), then we'll head back down and finish off this wave around 675. THEN we should get one last good tradeable bounce (to 780ish?) before we head lower again (580 is my working target at the moment) and finally bottom.

That's my best guess anyway. Not sure though, 'cause the minuette count is somewhat hazy here, as is my brain (or what's left of it) -- I need sleep.
In honor of the times, back to the 2008 signature:

"When Black Friday comes, I'll stand down by the door,
And catch the grey men when they dive from the fourteenth floor,
When Black Friday comes, I'll collect everything I'm owed,
And before my friends find out I'll be on the road,
When Black Friday falls
you know it's got to be...
Don't let it fall on me." - Steely Dan, Black Friday

Stock market portfolio giving you the runs? See Dr. Stool.

Take a subscribatory!
Download 
The Anals of Stock Proctology now!

The Daily Stool - Stock Market Message Board
Stool's Gold- Gold and Precious Metals Forum
Look Out Below Message Board

Support your local Stool Board.

The Al E. Greenspeuman designer line at Stoolmart. Get yours today! Click here now!
Get Mugged!

Dr. Stool's
Book Search

Enter title, author, or keyword
Just books
All Products

Old Stool Depository

Live Steaming Pile Chart