Photo

To bottom or not to bottom, that is the question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
309 replies to this topic

#31 Pretzel Logic

Pretzel Logic

Doctor of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:09 PM

Stress? What STRESS?

This guy inspires about as much confidence as a fire-fighter wielding a flamethrower.

I bet he had a full head of hair 5 weeks ago. :lol:
In honor of the times, back to the 2008 signature:

"When Black Friday comes, I'll stand down by the door,
And catch the grey men when they dive from the fourteenth floor,
When Black Friday comes, I'll collect everything I'm owed,
And before my friends find out I'll be on the road,
When Black Friday falls
you know it's got to be...
Don't let it fall on me." - Steely Dan, Black Friday

#32 Charmin

Charmin

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,177 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:27 PM

The only question the average guy with losses of half a million is wondering right now is -

how long will it take to recover?

"It took 7 1/2 years for stocks to regain their losses from the bear market that accompanied the 1973-74 recession." and the 1930's?

Yes, you heard it right, my boss said today he has $500,000 in paper losses.
Cycles + Wyckoff + NTM = TechnoPile
A true Master averts disaster

#33 hokahay

hokahay

Master of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:32 PM

OK, the governor of NJ was just on Jon Stewart. Another Government Sacks alumni. Talking about stabilizing house prices and putting money in the pockets of the regular people.

Manna from heaven?

We are so Doomed.

#34 Charmin

Charmin

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 34,177 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:39 PM

"the Dow is building out within a large, developing triangle pattern that could spark a big 2,200 point move ahead. As such, a downside break through 8,200 could put the index conveniently at 6,000." Ed Downs
http://www.signalwat...p?Date=10/27/08

#35 coastiepilot

coastiepilot

Stock Proctology Intern

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:51 PM

I apologize if you have already covered this Doc, but the latest Treasury Fails to Deliver data is staggering. Are the PD's counterfeiting Treasuries now? (obligatory sensational characterization :lol: )

http://www.newyorkfe...s_failsdata.txt

A chart extrapolated from the data can be found here:

http://jessescrossro...annot-take.html ;)

#36 BusKow

BusKow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:03 PM

Gnawing tires...

Attached Thumbnails

• 24OctSPXflag.png

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and and transient causes, and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, which evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations , pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

#37 BusKow

BusKow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:13 PM

Weeklies thumbnail ref

Attached Thumbnails

• 24OctIDXwkly.png

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and and transient causes, and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, which evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations , pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

#38 lineup32

lineup32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:06 PM

Tesla Motors Inc. is eliminating one-quarter of its workforce.

As many as 87 of the San Carlos electric car company's employees will be gone, mostly from California and an engineering site in Rochester Hills, Mich.

Tesla, which began delivering $109,000 Roadsters to customers this year, said last week it would trim jobs and delay production of a second model, a $60,000 electric sedan, until 2011 because of the financial crisis.

http://www.sfgate.co...ottomline/index?

tesla240x159.jpg

#39 Charmin

Charmin

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 34,177 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:15 PM

"Depending on what time you got up, we had a huge media event." Tom O'brien

"Contrary to the some people’s belief, the US equities did not crash today. When S&P futures hit its limit down levels before the US markets opened and Dow futures dropped 5 percent, some media outlets were touting the possibility of circuit breakers kicking in; that would have meant an 1100 point decline in the Dow. Thankfully, it did not happen and even though the Dow fell 312 points today, it is off its lows." Kathy Lien http://www.gftforex......st=Kathy Lien

#40 mdporter

mdporter

Associate Professor of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:25 PM

Tesla Motors Inc. is eliminating one-quarter of its workforce.

As many as 87 of the San Carlos electric car company's employees will be gone, mostly from California and an engineering site in Rochester Hills, Mich.

Tesla, which began delivering $109,000 Roadsters to customers this year, said last week it would trim jobs and delay production of a second model, a $60,000 electric sedan, until 2011 because of the financial crisis.

http://www.sfgate.co...ottomline/index?

tesla240x159.jpg

View Post

Tesla has become one of the "Great Hopes" in the bay area, especially relating to manufacturing jobs. Management has been unstable.. I think they are on their third CEO in as many years. The sedan was just announced a few weeks back and the paper got lathered up about it because it was to be made in San Jose.
The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars, the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth. -- H.L. Mencken

"Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can ... come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win." - Muhammad Ali

"When plunder has become a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -- Claude Frédéric Bastiat

#41 kaotic

kaotic

Stock Proctology Intern

• Members
  • Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:25 PM

It never ceases to amaze me to see just how much Bullishness is still out there. (not necessarily on this board). Even with the VIX floating above 50 for weeks now, the pundits and amateurs continue to look for bottoms rather than for rallies to short. Personally, I see ZERO signs of recovery on the horizon as the major indexes keep putting in lower highs on all rallies. As a matter of significance, the US indexes are being propped up which makes a selling climax impossible to achieve. Things are about about to get even more interesting in the days ahead. Traders who have stayed on the right side of trend earn my respect. Riverboaters with the "buy the dip bull market mentality" continue to provide sure fire proof that the plunge is imminent..

#42 ChicagoBear

ChicagoBear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:51 PM

Stress? What STRESS?

<embed src="http://s.wsj.net/med...a/swf/main.swf" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoGUID={3FF10494-5D10-4C43-BE2F-0DD7F0A0BCAF}&playerid=2000&configURL=http://wsj.vo.llnwd.net/o28/players/&autoStart=false” base="http://s.wsj.net/media/swf/" name="flashPlayer" width="512" height="363" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedi...Flash"></embed>

View Post

That is great. Thanks for posting it.

Man, you can just feel the guy’s hopelessness. He hates coming in to work cause they’re all just hanging around waiting for someone else to do something. Unreal! This guy might just as well have come right out and said the markets are dead.
If we don't change our direction, we're likely to end up where we are headed.
It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.
"and the vicious cycle will feed on itself in an orgy of cannibalistic self destruction until even the skeletal remains of the system are ground into powder." - Doc, 3/2/09

#43 byhiselo

byhiselo

Bachelor of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:58 PM

It never ceases to amaze me to see just how much Bullishness is still out there. (not necessarily on this board). Even with the VIX floating above 50 for weeks now, the pundits and amateurs continue to look for bottoms rather than for rallies to short. Personally, I see ZERO signs of recovery on the horizon as the major indexes keep putting in lower highs on all rallies. As a matter of significance, the US indexes are being propped up which makes a selling climax impossible to achieve. Things are about about to get even more interesting in the days ahead. Traders who have stayed on the right side of trend earn my respect. Riverboaters with the "buy the dip bull market mentality" continue to provide sure fire proof that the plunge is imminent..

View Post

this is a generational bull being barbequed, takes a while to fully cook

lots of people waiting for a rally to short, so we either don't get one of any consequence or one that carries much further than people expect

#44 lineup32

lineup32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:21 PM

The only question the average guy with losses of half a million is wondering right now is -

how long will it take to recover?

"It took 7 1/2 years for stocks to regain their losses from the bear market that accompanied the 1973-74 recession."  and the 1930's?

Yes, you heard it right, my boss said today he has $500,000 in paper losses.

View Post

Owners of significant RE, Corp bonds, preferred financial stock and common generally are the wealthy within our country and many are old wealth to boot.
The current financial downturn has impacted that class more then any other and as the income stream from interest/dividends various structured debts unwind they will tend to be the biggest financial losers. That does not mean the wealthy will be on the street corner with a tin cup but many have pledged their assets as collateral for larger loans to finance even a bigger and better lifestyle such as buying expensive islands, multi-jet planes, large stock purchases etc so the hit can be pretty hard.
These are also the most politically connected group which explains many of the actions taken by Congress and the current adminstration. Their phones are ringing of the hook and the folks at the other end expect actions to be taken that will turn this situation around quickly.

#45 lineup32

lineup32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:41 PM

usdfri.png

Stock market portfolio giving you the runs? See Dr. Stool.

Take a subscribatory!
Download 
The Anals of Stock Proctology now!

The Daily Stool - Stock Market Message Board
Stool's Gold- Gold and Precious Metals Forum
Look Out Below Message Board

Support your local Stool Board.

The Al E. Greenspeuman designer line at Stoolmart. Get yours today! Click here now!
Get Mugged!

Dr. Stool's
Book Search

Enter title, author, or keyword
Just books
All Products

Old Stool Depository

Live Steaming Pile Chart