Photo
- - - - -

IDS World Markets 27th February 08

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
143 replies to this topic

#46 cwd

cwd

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:31 AM

Not going to deny that the dollar is collapsing in real terms against a a forced yuan appreciation strategy.

Dollar Index is manipulated via EUR/USD. 

EUR/USD is a mini carry-trade pair, not on the scale of EUR-JPY, but certainly distorted.

View Post

I bought some Swiss government bonds this morning, 1-2 years out. :unsure:

#47 Dharmaeye

Dharmaeye

Doctor of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:32 AM

Let's say you have an 83 year old widder aunt. It's not exactly feasible for her to own the physical gold.  In that case what would you put her in, assuming of course that the timing was right.

View Post

I would choose CEF
Very liquid.
Long history - decades
HELD outside of the USA in Canada

http://www.gold-eagl...ouse011806.html

#48 cwd

cwd

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:33 AM

Let's say you have an 83 year old widder aunt. It's not exactly feasible for her to own the physical gold.  In that case what would you put her in, assuming of course that the timing was right.

View Post

How much and what is the time frame? :unsure:

#49 Lemur

Lemur

Professor of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:34 AM

Let's say you have an 83 year old widder aunt. It's not exactly feasible for her to own the physical gold. In that case what would you put her in, assuming of course that the timing was right.

View Post

Why not? Just open a Goldmoney or bullionvault account. Fees are minimal. I have both for a number of years now.

#50 potatohead

potatohead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:34 AM

Try Goldmoney.com or Bullionvault.com. Its physical, low fees and you can store it safely in Switzerland.

View Post

you better read the contract.....that is not your gold. Bullion vault does not have to deliver the gold to you....Gold Money only will ship if you have 1000 ounces ...both programs are flawed....that is why I created a bullion fund that is meets the needs of individuals not the bullion dealers....

I have studied this in depth for over 2 years
"Don't piss on my back and tell me its raining!"

#51 elh

elh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:35 AM

I bought some Swiss government bonds this morning, 1-2 years out. :unsure:

View Post

Yeah, I saw that on my blog.

Diversification, right?

I'm still beholden to the thesis that the United States economy is too large to not wreak havoc on the entire global financial system. The collapse in the real money supply used by the American consumer should cause a crash in the price of goods, services, and assets.

I think everything is in a bubble blow-off stage right now: gold, commodities, oil, foreign exchange.

#52 Brick Stoolhouse

Brick Stoolhouse

Assistant Professor of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:37 AM

Dr. Benny is on the hill this morning.  Lately, his appearances there have been good for several hundred points to the downside.  :rolleyes:

View Post

Attached Images

• dancingben2.gif

“A million seconds is 11.5 days. A billion seconds is about 32 years. A trillion seconds is 32,000 years."

#53 stoolbob-brownpants

stoolbob-brownpants

Stock Proctology Intern

• Members
  • Pip
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:37 AM

What is the advantage of owning cef versus gld?

View Post

I started with cef before gld and slv were available. I like the 50/50 split between gold and silver in cef. I have not bought any cef since gld and slv came out. I do not like the wasting aspect of gld and slv etfs. The prospooktus indicates to me that gld and slv sell off assets to pay expenses.

#54 potatohead

potatohead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:38 AM

isn't this the one year anniversary of last year's big drop?
"Don't piss on my back and tell me its raining!"

#55 Lemur

Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:40 AM

you better read the contract.....that is not your gold. Bullion vault does not have to deliver the gold to you....Gold Money only will ship if you have 1000 ounces ...both programs are flawed....that is why I created a  bullion fund that is meets the needs of individuals not the bullion dealers....

I have studied this in depth for over 2 years

View Post

I have spoken to both James Turk (Goldmoney.com) and Paul Tustain (Bullionvault.com) and dont have any concerns about this. I don't forsee a situation where I need them to ship me physical metal. (Though it is possible to obtain the metal). When the time is right, i convert the metal to a currency of my choice and get it in the conventional wayie via bank wire.

#56 DrStool

DrStool

Chief of Stock Proctology

• Admin
  • 83,576 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:40 AM

Would you ever try timing shorts based on the liquidity outlook?
It seems that with over $100b needed between repos, trashury, and CMB's over the next 3 days, the mother of all vacuums is about start sucking.

View Post

No, not on the liquidity picture alone, but if the technicals lined up, I would move aggressively and with confidence that all the ducks were in a row.

I would generally never short into a Fed pumping binge. It's pretty much suicidal.

If your portfolio has you feeling irregular, for fast, long lasting relief, take a subscribatory. And support your local Stool!

#57 cwd

cwd

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:41 AM

Homies up almost a percent. I guess they liked the sales number. -2.8% vs -0.7%. :o

#58 cwd

cwd

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:43 AM

Yeah, I saw that on my blog.

Diversification, right?

I'm still beholden to the thesis that the United States economy is too large to not wreak havoc on the entire global financial system.  The collapse in the real money supply used by the American consumer should cause a crash in the price of goods, services, and assets.

I think everything is in a bubble blow-off stage right now: gold, commodities, oil, foreign exchange.

View Post

How does one protect their savings? :unsure:

#59 elh

elh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:44 AM

How does one protect their savings? :unsure:

View Post

I have no idea.

#60 DrStool

DrStool

Chief of Stock Proctology

• Admin
  • 83,576 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:46 AM

How much and what is the time frame? :unsure:

View Post

I don't know. It's just a concern I have about what to hold in a worst case scenario.

I am beginning to become concerned that the time is coming when T-bills will not be as safe an investment as we think they are. At that point, I don't know what the alternatives would be. It would probably be the end of life in the US as we know it.

It's just that the rate at which US Gov finances are collapsing and the rate at which cash is flowing into T-bills, is beginning to concern me greatly. This is not rational behavior. It is bubble like panic behavior.

If your portfolio has you feeling irregular, for fast, long lasting relief, take a subscribatory. And support your local Stool!

Stock market portfolio giving you the runs? See Dr. Stool.

Take a subscribatory!
Download 
The Anals of Stock Proctology now!

The Daily Stool - Stock Market Message Board
Stool's Gold- Gold and Precious Metals Forum
Look Out Below Message Board

Support your local Stool Board.

The Al E. Greenspeuman designer line at Stoolmart. Get yours today! Click here now!
Get Mugged!

Dr. Stool's
Book Search

Enter title, author, or keyword
Just books
All Products

Old Stool Depository

Live Steaming Pile Chart