Photo
- - - - -

IDS World Markets Wed 28th November 07

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
281 replies to this topic

#241 4shzl

4shzl

Doctor of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:57 PM

Dow up 340 pts, Naz up 3%, BKX up 5%...  :o

... and here I am holding the only red thing on my screen.. CFC calls are down for the day.  :lol:

That is absolutely hilarious.  Any other year it would be pretty depressing.

View Post

Countrywide says it's not in trouble

Countrywide Financial Corp. moved to reassure investors Tuesday that it wasn't borrowing too much and wouldn't be constrained in its ability to provide home loans.

"We said it back in August, we said it in September, we said it last week, we'll say it until we turn blue in the face, but we have ample liquidity to fund our growth and operational needs," David Bigelow, Countrywide's managing director of investor relations, said at an FBR Capital Markets conference in New York.

Countrywide shares rose 33 cents, or 3.8%, to $8.97, marking only the second gain in two weeks for the stock. The shares are down 79% this year.

Bigelow rejected criticism that Calabasas-based Countrywide had threatened the soundness of the Federal Home Loan Bank system by borrowing excessively. He also said Countrywide didn't expect issues affecting Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae to materially hurt its ability to make home loans.

LATimes

Personally, I think blue might be an improvement on orange.
The problem with Californians is that they think that death is optional. -- Aldous Huxley

The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us. -- Paul Valéry

#242 Drano

Drano

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,315 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:59 PM

Dow up 340 pts, Naz up 3%, BKX up 5%...   :o

... and here I am holding the only red thing on my screen.. CFC calls are down for the day.   :lol:

View Post

Countrywide Financial Corp. moved to reassure investors Tuesday that it wasn't borrowing too much and wouldn't be constrained in its ability to provide home loans.

"We said it back in August, we said it in September, we said it last week, we'll say it until we turn blue in the face, but we have ample liquidity to fund our growth and operational needs," David Bigelow, Countrywide's managing director of investor relations, said at an FBR Capital Markets conference in New York.

Countrywide shares rose 33 cents, or 3.8%, to $8.97, marking only the second gain in two weeks for the stock. The shares are down 79% this year.

Bigelow rejected criticism that Calabasas-based Countrywide had threatened the soundness of the Federal Home Loan Bank system by borrowing excessively. He also said Countrywide didn't expect issues affecting Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae to materially hurt its ability to make home loans.

LATimes

View Post

"He also said Countrywide didn't expect issues affecting Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae to materially hurt its ability to make home loans."

How could it hurt its ability to make home loans? It already doesn't HAVE any ability to make loans.
Of course I'm caustic!

#243 dogsie

dogsie

Associate Professor of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:59 PM

Oh oh, bad news for bears, Cramer:

Savor This Rally; It'll Get Ugly Again

Market hugely Dover Sole, more Dover Sole than anytime in years. Third-to-last day of the quarter, the last day you can mark up stocks without worrying that the feds will investigate you. A successful offering from the most beleaguered enterprise out there -- Freddie Mac . New, fresh capital from overseas for the worst of situations. Comments from a Fed head that actually recognized that something might be wrong, helped by incredibly and undeniably weak data.

Link
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time. Abraham Lincoln
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it George Santayana

#244 Drano

Drano

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 23,315 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:00 PM

Rules:

Close at low of day, gap up next day.

Close at high of day, gap up nest day.

Do I have those rules correct?
Of course I'm caustic!

#245 Drano

Drano

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 23,315 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:00 PM

Oh oh, bad news for bears, Cramer weighs in

Savor This Rally; It'll Get Ugly Again

Market hugely Dover Sole, more Dover Sole than anytime in years. Third-to-last day of the quarter, the last day you can mark up stocks without worrying that the feds will investigate you. A successful offering from the most beleaguered enterprise out there -- Freddie Mac . New, fresh capital from overseas for the worst of situations. Comments from a Fed head that actually recognized that something might be wrong, helped by incredibly and undeniably weak data.

Link

View Post

Boy, that IS bad news. And Abbey Jo nowhere in sight.
Of course I'm caustic!

#246 dogsie

dogsie

Associate Professor of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:06 PM

On the other hand, our favorite ex Stooly had this to say:

600-days worth of pessimism is about to reverse.

Probably see the biggest leg of the bull market starting today.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time. Abraham Lincoln
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it George Santayana

#247 Dr.Correll

Dr.Correll

Bachelor of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:09 PM

sudaca, what those markets doin down south of the equator?

#248 Sudaca

Sudaca

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 11,915 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:10 PM

Dow up 340 pts, Naz up 3%, BKX up 5%...   :o

... and here I am holding the only red thing on my screen.. CFC calls are down for the day.   :lol:

View Post

LATimes

View Post

Definitely.

Attached Images

• tanman2.JPG

Thanks, David

#249 T_Slim

T_Slim

Doctor of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:11 PM

Time to grab the pom poms. The bull market returns. Is it too late to go long? Commodities taking a beating, but stocks are up? Smells fishy . . . wash, rinse, repeat.

Attached Images

• s_owens_i.jpg

#250 Phil Late Show

Phil Late Show

Stock Proctology Intern

• Members
  • Pip
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:15 PM

On the other hand, our favorite ex Stooly had this to say:

600-days worth of pessimism is about to reverse.

Probably see the biggest leg of the bull market starting today.

View Post

600 days of pessimism? A reversal of this trend sounds good to me.

Attached Images

• _dji.png

#251 patents

patents

Master of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:16 PM

How about a nice big red candle to top off this day? Can it happen?

#252 Drano

Drano

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 23,315 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:18 PM

How about a nice big red candle to top off this day?  Can it happen?

View Post

In some alternate universe, perhaps.
Of course I'm caustic!

#253 Sudaca

Sudaca

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 11,915 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:18 PM

sudaca, what those markets doin down south of the equator?

View Post

Goin' bananas, of course... Brazil, Mexico up 4%, add in currency effect and it gives you 6-7% in USD terms for the day.

Brazilian bank ADRs up 10-11%.

Even Ecuador and Bolivia, that don't have stock markets, are up :huh:
Thanks, David

#254 Speakeasy

Speakeasy

Escaped American Inmate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,055 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:21 PM

You were correct Jimi. Bucky is getting whacked back down. Seems to be churing up and down. Lows at a74.5ish. I still think it's in a swup mode until that's taken out.
Posted Image
Behind every great fortune there is a crime. ~ Honore de Balzac
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives
~ Paul Bourget

#255 cwd

cwd

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:22 PM

I think the Fed is gonna have to cut, and cut aggresively, BTW.  I think Fed Funds target has to go down 100bps in the next 6 months.

View Post

what happens when dollar tanks another 20%? Oil will be over $150/bbl and gasoline, home heating oil and natural gas will be over $5/gal.

Consumers are already getting squeezed. More squeezing isn't going to help. As it is a recession is inevitable. Cutting rates will simply turn it into a depression.

Cutting rates only works if the existing debt can be refinanced at a lower rate and at the same time additional debt is created to spur growth. This is impossible at this junction. Already debt is being destroyed and asset prices are declining. Refinancing is not possible and the capacity to expand debt, in aggregate, does not exist. The price of marginal debt is irrelevant.

View Post

Brilliant and succinct. Love it. However, I agree with Suds. US rate cuts will be matched by rate cuts elsewhere. There are also forces related to debt contraction and the need of some foreign holders to pay debt service and payoffs in dollars that could boost the dollar. From that standpoint, it's hard to know which way the dollar will go. I'll stick with what the charts are telling me. The size and staying power of a short term dollar rally here should give some good clues about just how low the dollar is headed in the big picture.

View Post

How is this for the Dollar rally. :unsure: and check real money B)

GC Z07* N/A 8159 7910 8050 + 47
GC G08* N/A 8232 7981 8120 + 47
TX Z07* 75145 75735 75075 75140 + 35

Stock market portfolio giving you the runs? See Dr. Stool.

Take a subscribatory!
Download 
The Anals of Stock Proctology now!

The Daily Stool - Stock Market Message Board
Stool's Gold- Gold and Precious Metals Forum
Look Out Below Message Board

Support your local Stool Board.

The Al E. Greenspeuman designer line at Stoolmart. Get yours today! Click here now!
Get Mugged!

Dr. Stool's
Book Search

Enter title, author, or keyword
Just books
All Products

Old Stool Depository

Live Steaming Pile Chart