The Russian Revolution

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking a little deeper into the census homeowner vacancy rates, the historical rate has been 1.5% to 1.7% from the 1980s to 2004. In the last 5 quarters through Q3 2006 it ratcheted up from 1.8% to 2.5%. Q4 is gonna be interesting.

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/housing/hvs...c/histtab2.html

The 16 million figure sounds bad, but 3.8 million are seasonal, 5.7 million are either for occasional use or intentionally vacant for some other reason. 3.8 million are rental units and 1.1 million are under contract for sale or lease and to be occupied.

Interestingly, occasional use units haven't changed much in the last two years, but seasonal vacant units have gone up 10%. More second homes are part of the problem, but the increase there is much smaller than the increase in vacant for sale units.

Yup, 10 and counting....

Mortgage Lender Implode-O-Meter

Edit: Link fixed

Anyone else remember Financial Corp of America/American Savings, melting down just before the crash of '87???

I remember American Savings. I was turned down for a job as an anal cyst with them because I flunked the polygraph test. (If I remember correctly, the test indicated deceptive answers regarding the use of marijuana).

Those tests lie. B)

More blabber about production cuts.

Jan. 15 (Bloomberg) -- OPEC needs to address excess oil production of ``close to'' 1 million barrels a day in global markets to stem a price slump, Nigerian Oil Minister Edmund Daukoru said.

Hedge funds that bought oil to benefit from last year's rally are selling, pushing futures lower, Daukoru told reporters on arrival in New Delhi for a conference. Oil has slid 13 percent this year.

Oill plunging on the news, all of today's gains have been erased.

Any wonder why a Global Meltup is underway??

post-184-1168910335_thumb.jpg

Russ Winter speaks of Bully Americans and Brazil Americans. You could make the same case for Bully Banks (GS and the XBD gang) and Brazil Banks.

While Goldman's Sac is rolling in what used to colloquially be called "obscene" profits, many small regional banks are getting the squeezejob---shrinking deposits, shrinking margins, bad RE loans, you name it. The banks that rely on local business from Joe Soccer Mom are having it rough.

Here's a quote today from the Green Bay (WI) Press Gazette: "This is probably the most difficult banking environment I?ve ever seen," said Paul Beideman, president and CEO of Associated Banc-Corp in Ashwaubenon.? Mr. Beideman has been a banking exec since 1974. :ph34r:

Wow. Sounds bad. Makes you think Associated's stock must be in the terlet.

Think again.

ASBC just made a new all-time high and is actually breaking up out of a three-year sideways consolidation. It's up 208% since the 2000 lows.

If ASBC can make a new ATH in what their CEO says is "the most difficult banking environment I've ever seen", imagine how well it would do if business was good.

Or maybe something else is happening. Does ASBC's stock price have anything to do with their business at all? Is there an acquisition premium built in? Is the stock being held up simply because of the general bullishness of the market?

Questions, questions, questions.

Sure seems like a hugemungus disconnect here between finagler funnymentals---especially the smaller regional finaglers---and their stock charts.

Maybe they will keep going straight up from here. Or maybe the crooks are getting ready to pull the plug on the regional banksters.

Keep an eye on the RKH (regional bankster etf) and the $IIF (Nardsaq Finagler Index). Most of the small-fry finaglers are traded on the Nardsaq. These charts could well be telling a tale shortly.

By the way, I checked and ASBC's CEO is NOT related to Mister Rogers.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/p...247/GPGbusiness

post-2169-1168911492_thumb.jpg

post-2169-1168911500_thumb.png

Not from some "conspiracy site"...

ING Wholesale Banking issues long memo re: Attacking Iran:The market impact of a surprise Israeli strike on its nuclear facilities.

Conclusion

The financial markets are assuming that an attack on Iran by Israel or the US is unlikely. However, bellicose rhetoric from Israel and an imminent build-up of US forces in the Gulf suggest that they could be in for a shock.

Israel is concerned that Iran may have acquired nuclear weapons capability by the time the Bush administration leaves office at the end of 2008, and is determined to prevent this. With a diplomatic solution apparently still far off, Israel may take the opportunity to attack with the cover of two US aircraft carrier strike groups due to be in place in the Persian Gulf within weeks.

Given that risk assets are currently richly priced, they would suffer a dramatic reversal in the event of such an attack. This would involve sharp falls for stocks, corporate and emerging debt and emerging currencies. Safe havens such as government bonds, the euro, gold and oil would benefit.

How long these effects would persist would depend on the extent of any Iranian retaliation. The threat of a massive US military counter-strike might persuade the Iranians to limit their reprisals, in which case the financial market effects might quickly reverse their initial panic reactions.

Looking a little deeper into the census homeowner vacancy rates, the historical rate has been 1.5% to 1.7% from the 1980s to 2004. In the last 5 quarters through Q3 2006 it ratcheted up from 1.8% to 2.5%.  Q4 is gonna be interesting.

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/housing/hvs...c/histtab2.html

The 16 million figure sounds bad, but 3.8 million are seasonal, 5.7 million  are either for occasional use or intentionally vacant for some other reason.  3.8 million are rental units and 1.1 million are under contract for sale or lease and to be occupied.

Interestingly, occasional use units haven't changed much in the last two years, but seasonal vacant units have gone up 10%. More second homes are part of the problem, but the increase there is much smaller than the increase in vacant for sale units.

Don't forget that in 04,05 45% of home sales were considered 2nd or vacation homes even though most were located in a 20mi radius of the primary residence. Makes the 3.8m seasonal and 5.7m occasional use difficult to determine.

I own a vacation home but rent my primary residence. My primary residence is listed as the landlords primary residence. He also owns the house he lives in and another that he hasn't been able to rent in three years. How could the census bureau possibly make sense of this data?

Ron Paul gets a direct shot at Bernanke..should be some interesting dialogues...a step in the right direction anyway.

If only he could actually win in 2008.....sigh.

January 10, 2007

Washington, DC: Congressional leaders recently named Representative Ron Paul as the top Republican on an important House Financial Services subcommittee. Paul is the new Ranking Member of the Subcommittee on Domestic and International Monetary Policy, Trade, and Technology.

?The House Financial Services Committee will face a number of important issues during the 110th Congress,? stated Rep.Spencer Bachus, Ranking Member of the committee. ?During my service on the committee, I have gotten to know Congressman Paul very well. He is a top-notch legislator who will perform his new duties with integrity, thoughtfulness, and energy.?

The Monetary Policy subcommittee plays a key role in the nation?s economic affairs. As ranking member, Paul will meet several times each year with Federal Reserve Chairman Bernanke to address ongoing issues of inflation that affect the pocketbook of every American. Paul also will call witnesses to appear before the subcommittee, and draft legislation to stabilize and strengthen the U.S. dollar.

Republican leaders in Congress selected Paul based on his broad knowledge of economics and his many years of seniority on the (previously named) House Banking committee dating back to the late 1970s. In the 1980s, Paul was appointed by a Democratic congress to the acclaimed Gold Commission. Paul is widely credited as a congressional expert on economic and monetary policy, and is known for his ability to work with both sides of the aisle in crafting legislation.

?I look forward to working with my colleagues to address the financial issues facing all Americans, and I?m gratified to accept a leadership position on the Financial Services committee,? Paul stated.

Archived