B4 The Bell Moonday November 1

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dozer - Assuming you are Libertarian, and if I gave you cause to think about it, then it was worth printing. I do think we need more parties and more voices, but I also know that parties are built slowly and start at the lower rungs of the ladder. Badnarik would be a wonderful voice in Congress - and could probably build support for Libertarians just by being there. Hope he will consider that. . ... But in this election - Nader's one percent could throw it again. so I think every last vote that does not go to Kerry is a nail in our coffins. To answer your questions, yes, I am leaving anyway. just very quickly if these guys stay. I will pm you on the rest of it - too long to post here.

If there were a Nihilist Party in this race, it would win the Stoolville vote by a landslide. Or perhaps the F.A.P- the F-All Party would be more accurate. The vote has been reduced to a sick prank, maybe half the registered voters who bother have brains run thru the blender of sound bites, spin & hypnotic media idiocy, it has become impossible for an average joe voter to discern what if anything (other than a swarm of lobbyists) a candidate stands for, & by the time a candidate is in position to be nominated be The Party, it [sic- denoting a manufactured commodity] is owned/ corrupted down to shoelaces by the military-industrial-media-oil complex; and 2 egotistical clowns running appealing to the Black Hole vote.

So- why not throw in the towel, give up, surrender? F it all! A few more election cycles & we will have One Voter- a drooling semi-human, its [sic] retinas replaced by thin-film transistor panels wired to whatever the The Party decides is the most effective visceral stimuli. At the close of The Poll it will be announced: ?Uh?. whatever? dude?.. OK, sure?.isn?t there a war on, or sometin???

Or possibly is there a slim chance that if a few got off their duffs & did their damned best to abort this dismal future, things could be different for your grandchidren? Do I sound bitter & disgusted enough? Is the problem that as the Comfortable, we haven?t been Afflicted sufficiently? Oh, right, got my ammo, my pop-gun, my stack of gold Eagles & passport, what me worry?

Anyone left unoffended? Sorry. Rage against the dying of the light is my mantra of late. Maybe its time to join the f-it-all/ why bother crowd Yeh, I sent my cute little message to the powers that be last election, who, after studying it for one nanosec, yawned.

"They" control the US Postal Service?

Holy guacamole, Doc! Where do I send the thank you card?

You're making me look centrist and rational by comparison!

This was one office in one county, not the entire US Postal Service.

I think "they" counted on the US Postal Service to do what they are famous for... leaving envelopes containing the absentee ballots with too little bulk rate postage sitting in the dead letter file collecting dust until it was too late to matter.

The US Postal Service in that particular office can surely take the credit for being dispassionate about their job, no?

I worked for the postal service in a past life. Ballots are regarded as highly time sensitive. I don't think anybody would sit on it or throw them into the dead letter pile even if they didn't had the right postage. The issue would have been escalated to the higher levels and employees (belonging to both parties) would have openly questioned holding the ballots. As you know there are quite a few disgruntled souls in there.

My take on this. This mail had never reached the floor of the postal processing center. If it did, someone would have yelled foul. It went straight to the dead letter office without stopping anywhere.

An operation like this doesn't need a lot of people. I agree with doc, they contol the postal service or at least certain key individuals in there.

The Economist on Kerry's side.

America's next president

The incompetent or the incoherent?

With a heavy heart, we think American readers should vote for John Kerry on November 2nd

...Today, Guant?namo Bay offers constant evidence of America's hypocrisy, evidence that is disturbing for those who sympathise with it, cause-affirming for those who hate it. This administration, which claims to be fighting for justice, the rule of law and liberty, is incarcerating hundreds of people, whether innocent or guilty, without trial or access to legal representation. The White House's proposed remedy, namely military tribunals, merely compounds the problem.

...If Mr Bush is re-elected, and uses a new team and a new approach to achieve that goal, and shakes off his fealty to an extreme minority, the religious right, then The Economist will wish him well. But our confidence in him has been shattered.

...as Mr Bush has often said, there is a need in life for accountability. He has refused to impose it himself, and so voters should, in our view, impose it on him, given a viable alternative. John Kerry, for all the doubts about him, would be in a better position to carry on with America's great tasks.

http://www.economist.com/printedition/disp...tory_ID=3329802

"...as Mr Bush has often said, there is a need in life for accountability. He has refused to impose it himself"

This is Bush's most serious weakness. No accounting of his own mistakes and

an unrelenting, stubborn resolve to stick to a losing hand; all the while ignoring

the counter-arguments around him.

This is not an effort to influence a vote, just an observation.

How does this affect stocks?

Well, if re-elected, Bush's personality trait will set up a trend, down IMO.

SEH

(Patiently waiting for the top)

Seh- I do agree with your comments but I would add that the World is looking at the U.S. to address the mistakes of 2000. Should Shrub be re-elected you are very much on your own...it is America's call...you are with the world or against it..choose Shrub..you bear all the costs militarily and financially and you simply cannot afford either..for it to have gotten this far is beyond comphrension to the rest of us. ;)

Seh- I do agree with your comments but I would add that the World is looking at the U.S. to address the mistakes of 2000. Should Shrub be re-elected you are very much on your own...it is America's call...you are with the world or against it..choose Shrub..you bear all the costs militarily and financially and you simply cannot afford either..for it to have gotten this far is beyond comphrension to the rest of us. ;)

A lot of us too Brian. Hang 'em high. :o :D

Is it my imagination or is this board still running on Daylight Saving Time?

Go to your controls and then board settings and uncheck the

daylight savings.

Thanks, depends!

<<Hugs!!>>

Guest Icky Twerp

I say this withOUT any facetiousness at all:

that this is exactly right, as B$ has said, that W got it exactly Wrong:

If we do not join in with the world, we are against the world.

It is backwards to say, "If you are not with US, you are against US" -- this is the essence of totalitarianism to hold so, and the essense of Democracy to hold the reverse.

If there were a Nihilist Party in this race, it would win the Stoolville vote by a landslide.  Or perhaps the F.A.P- the F-All Party would be more accurate.  The vote has been reduced to a sick prank, maybe half the registered voters who bother have brains run thru the blender of sound bites, spin & hypnotic media idiocy, it has become impossible for an average joe voter to discern what if anything (other than a swarm of lobbyists) a candidate stands for, & by the time a candidate is in position to be nominated be The Party, it [sic- denoting a manufactured commodity] is owned/ corrupted down to shoelaces by the military-industrial-media-oil complex; and 2 egotistical clowns running appealing to the Black Hole vote. 

So- why not throw in the towel, give up, surrender? F it all!  A few more election cycles & we will have One Voter- a drooling semi-human, its [sic] retinas replaced by thin-film transistor panels wired to whatever the The Party decides is the most effective visceral stimuli.  At the close of The Poll it will be announced:  ?Uh?. whatever? dude?..  OK, sure?.isn?t there a war on, or sometin??? 

Or possibly is there a slim chance that if a few got off their duffs & did their damned best to abort this dismal future, things could be different for your grandchidren?  Do I sound bitter & disgusted enough? Is the problem that as the Comfortable, we haven?t been Afflicted sufficiently?  Oh, right, got my ammo, my pop-gun, my stack of gold Eagles & passport, what me worry?

Anyone left unoffended?  Sorry.  Rage against the dying of the light is my mantra of late.  Maybe its time to join the f-it-all/ why bother crowd  Yeh, I sent my cute little message to the powers that be last election, who, after studying it for one nanosec, yawned.

Hmmm.. I for one do not believe Stoolville is Nihilist. Anarchist & Realist perhaps, but NOT Nihilist. On the contrary, I believe the majority of Stoolies care deeply about the mess the US, and the world for that matter, is in.

Stoolies recognize the corruption of the matrix and vote with their wallets daily. How to change the system - ah that is the question. Disillusioned with the politics that appears to only perpetuate the illusion of control - yup. We still try though...

The change we seek will come about when the festering rotten to the core debt driven system implodes in and of itself. Alas this change is unlikely to be pretty. Starting to sound like Hyper... :shocked

Bush Is Completely Wrong On Terrorism

Many people have been writing recently, and some of us quite some time ago, about the fact that the Bush administration, instead of seeing the assymetrical threat of terrorism for what it was, simply applied their cold war tenets of nation state rollback to the new threat. It is an intellectual failure of huge magnitude and it will haunt us for many years to come.

? You cannot explain neocon intellectuals like Wolfowitz away with fundamentalist religion and there is no reason to believe that men like Rumsfeld and Cheney are subject to any Bush cult of personality. But, they all have one thing in common that is demostrable throughout their public careers --- their relentless adherence to their beliefs, no matter what the facts may seem to show. Going all the way back to TEAM B and the Committee for the Present Danger, these people have been proven wrong --- proven, mind you --- again and again and yet they maintain their bedrock belief that the threat of totalitarian nations is the singular overwhelming threat to our country and they must be defeated militarily wherever they occur. These people are stuck in a fringe cold war mindset that nothing can shake. 9/11, it seems, did not change anything.

? Their idea of draining the swamp was to invade and occupy the source of their funding, which many of them convinced themselves had to be Saddam Hussein. Richard Clarke, in Against All Enemies quotes Wolfowitz as saying: "You give Bin Laden too much credit. He could not do all these things like the 1993 attack on New York, not without a state sponsor.

? (That this enormous error is seen as George W. Bush's primary strength is such a depressing comment on our media and my countrymen that I can't even contemplate it.)They fit their threat assessment into the mold of anti-communism, fatally misunderstanding the nature of what we are facing. If they are given the chance to continue on this deluded path (and they have never changed course in more than 40 years, no matter what the facts present) then we can expect this situation to hurtle ever more out of control.

related link-

Parallels

(links to transcript of BBC documentary series The Power of Nightmares)

VO: In the past, politicians promised to create a better world. They had different ways of achieving this. But their power and authority came from the optimistic visions they offered to their people. Those dreams failed. And today, people have lost faith in ideologies. Increasingly, politicians are seen simply as managers of public life. But now, they have discovered a new role that restores their power and authority. Instead of delivering dreams, politicians now promise to protect us from nightmares. They say that they will rescue us from dreadful dangers that we cannot see and do not understand. And the greatest danger of all is international terrorism. A powerful and sinister network, with sleeper cells in countries across the world. A threat that needs to be fought by a war on terror. But much of this threat is a fantasy, which has been exaggerated and distorted by politicians. It?s a dark illusion that has spread unquestioned through governments around the world, the security services, and the international media.

VO: This is a series of films about how and why that fantasy was created, and who it benefits. At the heart of the story are two groups: the American neoconservatives, and the radical Islamists. Both were idealists who were born out of the failure of the liberal dream to build a better world. And both had a very similar explanation for what caused that failure. These two groups have changed the world, but not in the way that either intended. Together, they created today?s nightmare vision of a secret, organized evil that threatens the world. A fantasy that politicians then found restored their power and authority in a disillusioned age. And those with the darkest fears became the most powerful.[/url]

Archived