B4 The Bell Tuezelday October 19

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard something on the radio tonight.

Somebody-or-other in the government with this analysis of the economic woes of the commercial airline industry.

Americans have, on the average, put on weight.

This extra ballast is adding almost half a billion dollars a year to airline fuel expense.

I guess these people have meetings at which they figure out what tomorrow's line of malarkey is going to be and everybody follows it.

Today's line was: Take some heat off the administration by making people feel guilty about the deteriorating economy.

LINK

Seems like the tide could be turning for a flexible exchange rate in China? Oh dollar how I loved thee.... :o

SHANGHAI (AFX) - China could move towards a more flexible exchange rate system while maintaining a stable currency, the Beijing Morning Post reported, citing Yu Yongding, a member of the monetary policy committee of the People's Bank of China, the country's central bank

"If the yuan exchange rate appreciates by one, two or even three percent, or depreciates at the same pace, does that mean an unstable exchange rate? The answer is obviously no," Yu was quoted as saying in a magazine published by the State Administration of Foreign Exchange (SAFE)

"To keep the exchange rate stable does not mean the system could not be changed," said Yu, also the director of the Institute of World Economics and Politics under the Chinese Academy of Social Science (CASS), a government think-tank

Earlier this month, SAFE reiterated its stance that no timetable exists to allow the currency to float freely and that a "one-off" revaluation of the currency is both "impossible" and "unwise"

The PBoC followed that with a statement on its website reiterating its policy of maintaining the yuan's "stability"

However, earlier state media reports quoted He Fan, another senior researcher with CASS, as saying he expects to see a 10 pct appreciation in the yuan

Last week, Guo Shuqing, SAFE's director, said there will not be much impact on exports and employment if the yuan exchange rate is allowed to float in a controllable range

China's currency has been pegged at about 8.3 yuan to the dollar for the past 10 years. Its major trading partners, particularly the US and EU, have been lobbying the central government to revalue the currency, claiming it is undervalued, giving Chinese exporters an unfair advantage over rivals

(1 usd = 8.3 yuan)

Listening to Jason G at Ike's place from yesterday. He points to the P/C ratio being over one 4 out of 5 days last week and every time that has occured(5 times) The market was at least 5% higher 20 days later. I ain't betting that way no mo but, it is something to think about.

when i read the anals i thought i would find mention of spx 960 or 965

nothin

i'll never understand cyclces.

only thing i know/understand

AT SPX 965 WE'LL FIND OUT WHO WINS

i'm still bettin on DA BEARS

Listening to Jason G at Ike's place from yeterday. He points to the P/C ratio being over one 4 out of 5 days last week and every time that has occured(5 times) The market was at least 5% higher 20 days later. I ain't betting that way no mo but, it is something to think about.

But first it drops 5%. Then, d=ong for a 10% gain.

Archived