Humpty Dumpty Falls

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Close: Like a lot of sessions this week, the market started with great promise - underpinned by a number of bullish developments - but finished noticeably lower as buyers backed away from their positions... Conviction was once again weak as market internals never assumed a bullish tone, and stocks began inching away from their highs at the open...

A solid Q2 (June) report from IBM (IBM 84.28 +0.26), a strong day of trading in Asia (following reports that China's GDP decelerated from Q1's rate as government reforms appear to be working), and a basically in line June CPI report all set the stage for the higher start to the day... The latter proved to be especially key as the core CPI grew less than expected (+0.1% versus the consensus of +0.2%) and led to a bond market rally... The subsequent fall in interest rates helped out shares of homebuilding, insurance, gold, and other interest-rate sensitive stocks... Energy also performed well thanks to a nearly 1% rise in the price of crude oil to $41.30/bbl - which was credited to concerns that OPEC's raised quota will not meet still high North American demand... Everywhere else, however, basically traveled south...

"A.G. Edwards oil anal cyst Bruce Lanni pointed out just how tight global markets have become. On Thursday, he estimated that daily crude production surplus has shrunk by nearly 80% to just 1 million BPD. That compares to a 10-year average of roughly 5 million BPD. The International Energy Agency suggests that surplus is lower, closer to 600,000 BPD.....

If that becomes the case, $40 oil may be a thing of the past. It may be a price in the oil bulls' rearview mirror."

Thank goodness higher oil prices aren't inflationary to "core" prices.

"Conviction was once again weak as market internals never assumed a bullish tone, and stocks began inching away from their highs at the open..."

I luv the bullish spin from those clowns at barfing.con......

I actually thought the conviction on the part of the bears was

rather strong !

Have a great weakend.

Gotta love this week -

Crude oil +3.3%

Nasdaq -3.2%

SOX -9.3% :lol:

Meanwhile the cash dollah index finished at 87.15 .... about a 4-month low, and only two points above the multiyear low of 85.

The dollah is well and truly the lynchpin, the keystone of the Matrix. It is the closest thing to a "USA Inc." common stock.

If the dollah cracks (and Fed Gov Susan Bies said Thursday she doesn't care if it does!) ... then it's --

- All over for the Al Green Leveraged Treasury Fund

- All over for the Johnny Law II USA Paper Economy Fund

- All over for the JPM 700-story Credit Derivatives tower

- All over for the 7,700 momo hedgehogs and kamikaze carry traders

And of most interest to Stoolville --

- All over for the ridiculous House of Cards stock market.

This is the way markets act just before confidence totally shatters.

The ignorant, cavalier Susan Bies remark is very reminscent of Treas-Sec James Baker telling the Germans "we will let the dollar slide" on the weekend before 19 OCT 1987.

If anybody can crash this market, it's the clowns at the Federal Reserve. We're counting on you, Al!

Talk about Bullsh*t.

The stock was halted ALL DAY, then it finally opens with less then 10 minutes left on a day options expire.

I'm pissed, and I have NO position in the stock.

Criminal

Good thing the talking heads have Martha to yack about to totally avoid discussing the carnage in the markets today.

Including bumping the DOW bug and replacing it with a MSO bug on Crapvision. Amazing. Viewership is so light, they now put the story-stock of the day in the top bug, and flip the Dow/nasty in a bug below it. (For those who don't know the tv lingo, the bugs are the little boxs on the screen, crawl is the ticker/news on the bottom).

I'm looking for some insight into one of these Stock selection/screening tools like VectorVest , TC2000 etc. I have used Valueline but have not found it very good for trading purposes. The subscription is ending and I'm looking to put that money into some other tool.

Any reco, experience would be highly appreciated.

TIA.

Archived