Weak-end thread June 10-13th.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest yobob1
Nuke plants are still being built.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, January 29, 2004 - The Shaw Group Inc. (NYSE: SGR) today announced that its subsidiary, Stone & Webster Asia, Inc., has been awarded a seven-year contract with an estimated value of $18 million to provide engineering support services to Korea Power Engineering Company, Inc. (KOPEC) for Shin-Kori 1 & 2 and Shin-Wolsong 1 & 2 nuclear plants to be built in the Republic of Korea

http://www.shawgrp.com/Press_Releases/2004/012904.cfm

No reason we could not build them in the USA.

The Sun also posted on yesterday's thread:

"We can build nuke power plants.

Will take about 7 to 10 yrs each."

True. However there is pretty good evidence that there is going to be a developing Uranium shortage. There's damn little Uranium on the planet and it's relatively easy to find what with being radioactive. It almost appears as though Uranium and Oil are peaking at the same time.

The bottom line with all energy is simple. Does it take more energy to produce the "energy" than it will give off? In every case except two, oil and NG, it does. When you factor in all of the energy required to build a nuke plant and operate it, it could be a net energy loser. Solar panels are. Hydrogen is.

Until the basic rules of thermodynamics are re-written, we're pretty much screwed as far as maintaining the energy intensive lifestyle that we have developed over the last 150 years.

Bush the Would-Be Torturer

????Marjorie Cohn

????t r u t h o u t | Perspective

????Wednesday 09 June 2004

? The Ninth Circuit said: "To our knowledge, prior to the current detention of prisoners at Guantanamo, the U.S. government has never before asserted such a grave and startling proposition." The court said this was "a position so extreme that it raises the gravest concerns under both American and international law."

????In December 2002, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a new anti-torture treaty after 10 years of negotiation. The Optional Protocol to the U.N. Convention against Torture will allow independent international and national experts to conduct regular visits to places of detentions within the States Parties, to assess the treatment of detainees and make recommendations for improvement. The treaty was adopted by a vote of 127 in favor, 4 against and 42 abstentions. The United States was joined by Nigeria, the Marshall Islands and Palau in opposing this treaty.

????The legal advice which would permit Bush to order torture without sanction is consistent with his policy to ignore or denounce treaties and federal laws that don't comport with his program. Bush's unprecedented act of "unsigning" the International Criminal Court statute, and coercing Security Council resolutions and bilateral immunity agreements, are meant to ensure that neither he nor his top advisors ever become defendants in war crimes prosecutions. But under the well-established laws of the United States, Bush would be a war criminal if he authorizes torture as recommended in the classified report.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/060904A.shtml

Older alternative energy sources like wind and solar are not considered cost-effective now. For them to be cost-effective, either their costs of generation need to go down --

or the value of that energy needs to go up.

Both are possible and probable, in my extremely humble opinion. Never underestimate the power of necessity to spur invention....to paraphrase another great American, Ben Franklin.

UPDATE 1-Fed's Pianalto says interest rates must rise

Fri Jun 11, 2004 01:35 PM ET

WASHINGTON, June 11 (Reuters) - U.S. official interest rates are too low to be sustainable and the Federal Reserve must raise them to preserve price stability or risk losing credibility, a top Fed policymaker said on Friday.

"I do know this -- the current federal funds rate, at 1 percent, is too low to be sustainable. Inflation expectations appear reasonably stable right now, but I am concerned about the potential for them to drift up in this environment," Cleveland Fed President Sandra Pianalto said in the text of a speech to the Pennsylvania Economic Association.

"Preserving price stability will require the (Federal Open Market Committee) to increase the federal funds rate. Failure to respond in a timely fashion puts our hard-won credibility at risk," she added.

http://www.reuters.com/financeNewsArticle....storyID=5403903

What about static charts generated by other sites such as prophet or stockcharts? are these OK? If it's not, I'll refrain from posting them, or use another tool to generate the charts.

--Ted.

I'm not a lawyer, but to my mind that's ok. They have an attribution on the chart, and the chart itself is something you created. Their terms of use do not permit reposting, but they could easily prevent it if they wanted to. My guess is that your reposting of an individual chart of your own creation is probably fair use as long as the source is identified. Any lawyers out there care to comment?

In any case you can always use Stoolie stock charts, which hardly anyone does at the moment. I realize there we can only do stocks and certain indexes. Unfortunately, it's the best I can do for now.

Older alternative energy sources like wind and solar are not considered cost-effective now. For them to be cost-effective, either their costs of generation need to go down --

or the value of that energy needs to go up.

Both are possible and probable, in my extremely humble opinion. Never underestimate the power of necessity to spur invention....to paraphrase another great American, Ben Franklin.

Consider......

Hydraulic ram pumping water to elevation in sufficient quantity to allow

falling water to power an individual hydro generator. No power input required.

:huh:

UPDATE 1-Fed's Pianalto says interest rates must rise

Fri Jun 11, 2004 01:35 PM ET

WASHINGTON, June 11 (Reuters) - U.S. official interest rates are too low to be sustainable and the Federal Reserve must raise them to preserve price stability or risk losing credibility, a top Fed policymaker said on Friday.

"I do know this -- the current federal funds rate, at 1 percent, is too low to be sustainable. Inflation expectations appear reasonably stable right now, but I am concerned about the potential for them to drift up in this environment," Cleveland Fed President Sandra Pianalto said in the text of a speech to the Pennsylvania Economic Association.

"Preserving price stability will require the (Federal Open Market Committee) to increase the federal funds rate. Failure to respond in a timely fashion puts our hard-won credibility at risk," she added.

http://www.reuters.com/financeNewsArticle....storyID=5403903

Another Fed head making similar statements:

Fed official underscores US inflation warning

ATLANTA, June 11 (Reuters) - 11:23 AM

The Federal Reserve must heed signs of brewing inflation to protect its key weapon against price pressures -- its credibility, a top Fed official said on Friday in remarks that cemented expectations for an interest-rate rise in June.

"Recent developments on the price front warrant significant attention in our analysis and policy debates," Atlanta Fed President Jack Guynn told an audience from the real estate industry.

"Given the economic growth and rising prices now unfolding, the general direction of our next policy move should be clear -- barring any unexpected events," he added.

Guynn cited a "flurry" of recent price rises and the apparent resurgence in some U.S. industries of the ability to pass through higher prices to consumers.

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?p...p=1012571727088

Isn't it too late for them to start worrying about their credibility? And how can even a 1.5% Fed Funds rate with 5% inflation be considered a "strong" measure?

The funny thing about this interest rate debate is that the Fed will start quantitive easing (increasing the monetary base) soon (if not already) - while at the same time raising interest rates.

The monetary base increased last week while money supply measures fell.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/categories/45

post-20-1086978273_thumb.png

Hunter, I'm not familiar with hydraulic ram pumping. Can you give a brief explanation?

I have friends with a solar heated house in North Carolina. They very rarely have to use even the wood-burning stove they have, much less their furnace. Admittedly N.C. has a much milder winter climate than much of the U.S. but it does get in the 20's and 30's there, or even colder, in the winter. Perhaps that will fuel the next round of construction spending -- retrofitting for more energy efficiency and newer heating/cooling technologies.

Any stoolies remember that post I made about the interview with that guy concerning the Mayan calander. Remember what he said. "The truth about a great many things will be surfacing around the 8th of june 2004".

It has started.

I'm curious about the Fed Bullhorning this weekend about inflation and raising rates.

Dollar is being jammed big time.

Why does the U.S. Dollar suddenly have to be supported?

Does Fukui need an exit?

"Raise the currency so I can get out of these dollars, or I'll dump your T-Bones"......

Any stoolies remember that post I made about the interview with that guy concerning the Myan calander. Remember what he said. "The truth about a great many things will be surfacing around the 8th of june 2004".

It has started.

The Truth has already come out:

1) Stocks are not allowed to go down

2) RE goes up forever, impervious to rising rates

3) Permanent Plateau has been reached

4) Don't mess with the Fed.......or suffer from the Keystrokes....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As we watch today, the ceremony surrounding the passage of this American President, we are reminded of the greatness of this country and these institutions. This position transcends the people who pass through it. This is a celebration of the American Presidency, and the position of high honor it represents, all of which stands in sharp contrast to the truths which are now becoming self-evident with respect to the present administration.

With the acknowledgement today by Secretary of State Colin Powell, that his high office may have issued a bogus report regarding terrorism which (if true) was designed to serve a political end, we must view the following with the same scrutiny (which this administration so rightly deserves).

If it is ever proven that the jobs data and the economic data (which this administration is not only using to its political advantage, but is attempting to set permenant policy based upon) were and are being intentionally massaged (lied about) to promote a political agenda...this would be one more example of criminality for political gain. Virtually everybody knows that the reason given for the holding back of the PPI data is a lie. This is illegal.

With every claim made by this administration, assume it's a lie, and insist that they prove otherwise.

Cheney: make tax cuts permanent

Vice President tells Money Summit tax cuts have created jobs, calls for making them permanent.

June 8, 2004: 11:20 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - The tax cuts promoted by President Bush have created jobs and should be made permanent, Vice President Dick Cheney said Monday evening.

Cheney, speaking in New York at MONEY Magazine's third annual Money Summit, cited the creation of nearly one million jobs in the past three months, among other signs of an economic rebound, and said three tax cuts pushed through by the Bush administration in each of the past three years were responsible.

"It's pretty clear the President's tax relief has done what it was designed to do -- add momentum to the American economy and help generate new jobs," Cheney said.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/07/news/cheney_money/

Archived