Weak-end thread June 4-6.

To bad about Reagan a good President and a fine human being. Drano the big player in the Oil Sands is SunCor listed on the NYSE, Canadian Oil Sands Trust listed in Toronto is another (I own both). There are currently 5 Multi-Nationals and Canadian Companies pouring hundreds of Billions into expanding extraction from the Alberta tar sands, most of those will not be in operation for 5 to 7 years. One that will be onstream soon and is already one of the largest integrated oil and gas producers is Encana Energy (yes I own that too) all or any of the 3 are great investments for the long term. Stay away from Shell after having to re state their reserves 3 times they are a joke up here.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like you Folks-We in Canada are enduring a Federal Election campaign. In fact we go the polls June 28th. The Conservatives (read Republican) and the governing Liberals(read Dems) are running neck and neck. The Conservatives led by Stephen Harper an affable guy are promising to beef up the Military, increase Medical spending and cut taxes without going into deficit (yeah right). The Liberals led by Paul Martin are promising not to raise taxes,to spend more on Medical and the Military and maintain the surplus. Martin to his credit saved Canada from itself when he became Finance Minister many years ago. We then had the largest national debt in the G-7 now we have the lowest. Every year has seen a surplus albeit this years is pretty slim due to increased Military commitments. I have voted Conservative all my life and am a Conservative by nature. But this time I will hold my nose and vote Liberal. Governments cannot cut taxes and increase services without going into deficits. Shrub is living proof of that-with what is coming Canada needs to maintain its surplus. My hope is my fellow Canadians will see it that way too-odds are that like Bush, Gore this will be a hung jury and go right to the wire.

Brian........

One can only hope that reason rather than pandering will win the day.

Canada has been down before because of malfeasence and misfeasence. Recovering is always the struggle. ;)

MARTA to Cut 300 Bus Employees

WXIA-TV, GA - 4 minutes ago

... MARTA officials said the layoffs are the largest ever of union workers in the authority's history.

http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=47756

N. Canton could lose 500 jobs to Iowa

Akron Beacon Journal (subscription), OH - 3 hours ago

... Windell, like about 200 other salaried employees, was initially laid off in 2003 as part of Maytag's previous cost-cutting venture

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/business/8847161.htm

Texas-based firm blames low-carb diet; plant made pasta, employed 65 people

With the "low-carb" craze eating into profits, a Modesto pasta factory is closing its doors and putting 65 people out of work.

http://www.modbee.com/business/story/8669514p-9542655c.html

Lear to close Michigan plant

NewsOK.com (subscription), OK - 4 hours ago

-- Lear Corp. plans to close its Auburn Hills plant by mid-June, putting the factory's 305 hourly employees out of work, company officials said Friday

http://www.newsok.com/cgi-bin/show_article...&TP=getbusiness

Michigan public schools will spend summer slashing budgets

MLive.com, MI - 4 hours ago

... In others, it will mean fewer counselors, coaches and maintenance workers. "What we're seeing is a lot of pink slips out there," said Margaret Trimer-Hartley

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michigan/in...37945302760.xml

To bad about Reagan a good President and a fine human being. Drano the big player in the Oil Sands is SunCor listed on the NYSE, Canadian Oil Sands Trust listed in Toronto is another (I own both). There are currently 5 Multi-Nationals and Canadian Companies pouring hundreds of Billions into expanding extraction from the Alberta tar sands, most of those will not be in operation for 5 to 7 years. One that will be onstream soon and is already one of the largest integrated oil and gas producers is Encana Energy (yes I own that too) all or any of the 3 are great investments for the long term. Stay away from Shell after having to re state their reserves 3 times they are a joke up here.

Wouldn't it be ironic that our good friends to the north, a couple

of decades in the future, are the key to US energy supply.

Hmm, a friend us Americans many times take for granted.

SEH

Hunter65/ Purdymouth,

My sympathies and prayers for both of your families.

My mother passed away 6 years ago of the same disease.

Worked part time helping others until 76 when the disease took over.

Its hard to see people of such love and character deteriorate in front of you.

I deal with it by remembering who she was when she was in control and not

the disease. I'm thankful for how she loved, taught and nurtured her family as I'm sure both of you do to.

Best Regards

patriot

Last year, the

employment numbers started to include an estimate for the birth and death

of new businesses. There is a time lag between the time these businesses

are created (or die) and when the Bureau of Labor Statistics finds out

about them. So they have created some fairly elaborate models for

estimating the numbers of new businesses. While this does attempt to show

more realism in the actual final number, it also throws some subjectivity

into the numbers.

Last month, 195,000 jobs were in that category across the entire spectrum

of the employment markets. They estimate over 700,000 new businesses have

been created in the last four months alone, or more than double the amount

created in the preceding 10 months. Were those 195,000 real, or were they

the creation of a government agency desperate to show employment growth?

Copyright 2004 John Mauldin. All Rights Reserved

If you would like to reproduce any of John Mauldin's E-Letters you

must include the source of your quote and an email address

([email protected])

Hummmmm!!!

Australia has a travel advisory for it's citizens traveling to the US.

Fresh travel advisory for US

May 28, 2004

FEARS of al-Qaeda terrorist attacks have led the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to issue new advice for Australians travelling to the United States.

US officials this week said they had intelligence that the al-Qaeda terrorist network might be planning big attacks in the US or against US interests in the next few months.

A DFAT travel advisory today urged Australians in the US to monitor local news broadcasts and to follow the advice of local authorities.

"United States authorities have stated that attacks are possible over the coming United States summer months and could be aimed at large political and international events," the DFAT advisory said.

"Before and during your trip, monitor local developments and news broadcasts carefully, and follow the advice of local authorities."

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0...55E1702,00.html

Media Subpoenas in U.S. Terror Case Raise Concerns

Fri Jun 4, 2004 11:48 AM ET

By Caroline Drees, Security Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. government has subpoenaed four journalists from major media to testify in the trial of a lawyer facing terrorism charges in a case which has raised fears for the freedom of the press.

"We are supposed to be the watchdog of our government, not its lap dog, so we shouldn't be in bed with it testifying," Freeman said.

SETTING A PRECEDENT

Kevin Goldberg, a lawyer for the American Society of Newspaper Editors, said the subpoenas could set a dangerous precedent.

"There are provisions in the USA Patriot Act (post-Sept. 11, 2001 anti-terrorism legislation) that conceivably make it very easy for the government to trample on First Amendment rights," he said. "The really dangerous precedent I'm seeing from this case is the increasing reliance on journalists to be an investigatory arm of the government."

Michael Gerhard, a First Amendment expert at the William & Mary School of Law, said: "There is a tension here that we haven't seen much before between the journalists' efforts to do their job and the government's explicit acknowledgments that it has paramount concerns."

http://www.reuters.com/printerFriendlyPopu...storyID=5348181

The Serious Implications Of President Bush's Hiring A Personal Outside Counsel For The Valerie Plame Investigation

By JOHN W. DEAN

----

Friday, Jun. 04, 2004

Recently, the White House acknowledged that President Bush is talking with, and considering hiring, a non-government attorney, James E. Sharp. Sharp is being consulted, and may be retained, regarding the current grand jury investigation of the leak revealing the identity of Valerie Plame as a CIA covert operative.

(Plame is the wife of Bush critic and former ambassador Joe Wilson; I discussed the leak itself in a prior column, and then discussed further developments in the investigation in a follow-up column.)

This action by Bush is a rather stunning and extraordinary development. The President of the United States is potentially hiring a private criminal defense lawyer. Unsurprisingly, the White House is doing all it can to bury the story, providing precious little detail or context for the President's action.

Perhaps Bush may have knowledge not only of the leaker, but also of efforts to make this issue go away - if indeed there have been any. It is remarkably easy to obstruct justice, and this matter has been under various phases of an investigation by the Justice Department since it was referred by the CIA last summer.

It seems very possible the leaker - or leakers, for two government sources were initially cited by columnist Robert Novak -- may have panicked, covered up his (or their) illegality, and in doing so, committed further crimes. If so, did the President hear of it? Was he willfully blind? Was he himself the victim of a cover-up by underlings? The grand jury may be interested in any or all of these possibilities.

Suffice it to say that whatever the meaning of Bush's decision to talk with private counsel about the Valerie Plame leak, the matter has taken a more ominous turn with Bush's action. It has only become more portentous because now Dick Cheney has also hired a lawyer for himself, suggesting both men may have known more than they let on.

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dean/20040604.html

Archived