- - - - -

A Scientific Quiz

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
145 replies to this topic

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 01:46 PM

Both Doc and I, from time to time, have cautioned here about the risks and evils of compulsive gambling and how important it is to recognize the early warning signs.

Now, at long last, Dave Barry of The New York Daily News has published a a very easy test to enable one to determine if he or she has any of these tendencies. While presented in a non S&M context, it should be easy to draw parallels here.

Gambling is a huge industry that has caused many people to become addicted, possibly including you. To find out, take this test:

A Scientific Quiz to Determine If You Are a Compulsive Gambler

1. Do large men sometimes come around and break your thumbs?

2. Have you ever lunged across a table and tried to strangle a 73-year-old grandmother simply because she said, "Bingo"?

3. Have you ever, after gambling away all your money and pawning all your possessions, asked yourself: "Hey, why do I need TWO kidneys?"

4. Have you ever attempted to place a bet on the chariot race in "Ben Hur"?

5. If so, did you bet AGAINST Charton Heston, your reasoning being that, hey, one of these times he has to lose?

6. Have you ever wagered money that you should have used to feed your children?

7. Have you ever wagered your actual children?

If you answered "yes" to any one of these questions, the odds are that you are a compulsive gambler.

The preceding was brought to you as a public service and, with that being said, I wish you all a very safe and enjoyable weekend. :)

#2 GregFokker

GregFokker

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,013 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 01:48 PM

Nice fresh little low here on the COMPX. Listening to Chet Baker now on the Sennheisers, craptop on the sofa lying in the sunbeam doing my bit to fight seasonal affective disorder. Whatta life, wot?

The US Dollar
Posted Image
Credit: http://quotes.ino.com

Gold
Posted Image
Credit: http://cdchart.innovative-software.com

...A declining spenglerian carnival of Colossaalism united with Inflation where the numbers one through 10 are forever banished as worthless arithmetical detritus from a bygone age... - Beardrech

Naturally we believe the govt numbers... and Boobus Americanus sleepwalks off the edge of the energy-crisis cliff clutching his shares of "Crisco", Yoohoo and GooGah munching on his Yum Yums and Ho Hos. Future historians will have a hell of a time figuring out what the hell Americanus neanderthalus was thinking and exactly what brought on his sudden demise... - Henny Penny

Well, good night everyone. I gotta go lube up for tomorrow's regular end-of-week Gold Slapdown and Stock Index Bear Punishment Rally Weekend Greenprint. ...Probably another Shock-and-Awe Gap-Up-Open and Wire-to-Wire Meltup Runaway Bull Charge Mo-Mo Spike to Fresh New All-Time Lifetime Highs, culminating in a 4:15 yelping scalded dog runoff with panic short-covering and legal not-held bad double fills due to fast market conditions, plus quote system freeze-ups and trading platform lock-outs along the way. *yawn* typical gov't Friday. - Shorty

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 01:48 PM

Hey, come on, two out of seven ain't bad . . . right?? :blink:

#4 DrStool

DrStool

Chief of Stock Proctology

• Admin
  • 83,447 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 01:52 PM

PM Update

If your portfolio has you feeling irregular, for fast, long lasting relief, take a subscribatory. And support your local Stool!

#5 Miss Moneypenny

Miss Moneypenny

Bachelor of Stock Proctology

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 01:53 PM

Listening to Chet Baker now on the Sennheisers, craptop on the sofa lying in the sunbeam doing my bit to fight seasonal affective disorder. Whatta life, wot?

Wearing those new boxers too with the little Santas all over them, aren't ya Greg! Come on... don't cheat us on the details! :D
The moment you stop and analyze what "should" be happening, instead of what "is" happening,
is the moment you have to hand your money to the next trader - Blackbelt
Call me kinky, but I pay to see Doc's Anals!

#6 Sam Adams

Sam Adams

Stock Proctology Intern

• Members
  • Pip
  • 288 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 01:53 PM

Just hedged my CHF position that has increased by 400% in value in the last month. Hated to do it because it limits my upside but last time I got greedy and missed taking the profits.

I have been toying with an idea for RYVNX that may interest you guys. You can hold a core position in Ryvnx. Buy an offsetting amount of QQQ so that you are essentially flat.

Simply buy and sell the QQQ during intraday swings if you want to day trade. This allows you to drastically cut down on the premiums. It also gives you the great 200% RYVNX leverage without a time penalty.

In essence you can exit and enter RYVNX intraday. Worst case you buy enough QQQs to hedge your core position and sell whenever things get toppy.

I'll need to do some math on the equivalent amount of QQQ you will need to be flat with a set position in RYVNX. Maybe someone else out there has already done this.

Think I'll do this on a small basis as a test.

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 01:57 PM

Depends on which two, MD! :grin:

#8 GregFokker

GregFokker

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Moderators
  • 15,013 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 01:59 PM

Miss MP, some deets Fokker doesn't share by remote- however, you could sollicit KWave to pick up the tab for a hop to cold, sunny Mtl and find out for yourself :P

...A declining spenglerian carnival of Colossaalism united with Inflation where the numbers one through 10 are forever banished as worthless arithmetical detritus from a bygone age... - Beardrech

Naturally we believe the govt numbers... and Boobus Americanus sleepwalks off the edge of the energy-crisis cliff clutching his shares of "Crisco", Yoohoo and GooGah munching on his Yum Yums and Ho Hos. Future historians will have a hell of a time figuring out what the hell Americanus neanderthalus was thinking and exactly what brought on his sudden demise... - Henny Penny

Well, good night everyone. I gotta go lube up for tomorrow's regular end-of-week Gold Slapdown and Stock Index Bear Punishment Rally Weekend Greenprint. ...Probably another Shock-and-Awe Gap-Up-Open and Wire-to-Wire Meltup Runaway Bull Charge Mo-Mo Spike to Fresh New All-Time Lifetime Highs, culminating in a 4:15 yelping scalded dog runoff with panic short-covering and legal not-held bad double fills due to fast market conditions, plus quote system freeze-ups and trading platform lock-outs along the way. *yawn* typical gov't Friday. - Shorty

#9 Ned38

Ned38

Doctor of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 02:00 PM

CAC40 down........... .2.25%
DAX down ................3.78%
FTSE closed down.....2.86%

#10 sniff

sniff

Master of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 02:02 PM

looks like S&P down momentum has paused. I have a long but not for a scalp, a swing... Looking at the 5 min & 15 min for higher lows. Of course have my eye on the afternoon cmap........

#11 DrStool

DrStool

Chief of Stock Proctology

• Admin
  • 83,447 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 02:02 PM

Doc doesn't know the stock symbols on all the stuff stoolies like to play with. If it's not a big cap let's get in the habit of mentioning the name. The only symbols I know are SPY QQQ, AhOL and BM. After that I have a problem. :wink2:

If your portfolio has you feeling irregular, for fast, long lasting relief, take a subscribatory. And support your local Stool!

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 02:03 PM

MD, you said in the morning thread that NAZ is resting on the 50-day MA. Uh, what are you looking at? Posted Image The 50-dma for the COMPX is at 1380.67 for today. We've been below it all the time today - didn't even come close to approaching it.

Regards,
Vesselin

#13 Stutz

Stutz

Bachelor of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 800 posts

Just hedged my CHF position that has increased by 400% in value in the last month. Hated to do it because it limits my upside but last time I got greedy and missed taking the profits.

I have been toying with an idea for RYVNX that may interest you guys. You can hold a core position in Ryvnx. Buy an offsetting amount of QQQ so that you are essentially flat.

Simply buy and sell the QQQ during intraday swings if you want to day trade. This allows you to drastically cut down on the premiums. It also gives you the great 200% RYVNX leverage without a time penalty.

In essence you can exit and enter RYVNX intraday. Worst case you buy enough QQQs to hedge your core position and sell whenever things get toppy.

I'll need to do some math on the equivalent amount of QQQ you will need to be flat with a set position in RYVNX. Maybe someone else out there has already done this.

Think I'll do this on a small basis as a test.

I've tried/am trying, but I keep getting so greedy on the core RYVNX position I don't have enough margin to fully hedge. That, and hating being long.
Also, I'm lame enough to have double whopsawed my self, at which point I soak my head in a bucket of ice water. This prevents me from following the action on the screen.

#14 PileDriver

PileDriver

Professor of Stock Proctology

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,448 posts

CAC40 down........... .2.25%
DAX down ................3.78%
FTSE closed down.....2.86%

seems to be par for the course of late...every world market goes to hell but the propped POS US market. That can only last so long. :lol:

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 02:04 PM

Depends on which two, MD!  :grin:

I'll just say this Glad, you keep watching that Chariot race. One day it's going to surprise you :wink2: .

Stock market portfolio giving you the runs? See Dr. Stool.

Take a subscribatory!
Download 
The Anals of Stock Proctology now!

The Daily Stool - Stock Market Message Board
Stool's Gold- Gold and Precious Metals Forum
Look Out Below Message Board

Support your local Stool Board.

The Al E. Greenspeuman designer line at Stoolmart. Get yours today! Click here now!
Get Mugged!

Dr. Stool's
Book Search

Enter title, author, or keyword
Just books
All Products

Old Stool Depository

Live Steaming Pile Chart