Jupiter's Moons: 2

. . . .hf_seti_jupitermoon_0925_01.jpg

. . . Consequently, it?s easy to overlook the astrobiology revolution brought about by Galileo?s satellite surveillance. This upheaval goes beyond the intriguing possibility that a microbe-laced ocean might lurk beneath Europa?s rigid, frigid crust. The real paradigm shift was when we realized that Earth-like planets, with surface water and heavy atmospheres, are not the only type of world that might be habitable.

Remarkably, this is the second time that Jupiter?s moons have provoked a revolution in cosmic perspective.

The first began nearly 400 years ago, when Galileo Galilei turned a 20-power spyglass on the heavens. His initial targets were the Moon and stars. Galileo soon made the astounding and dismaying discovery . . .

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a lot on the calendar today ...

I'm running some shorts on F in advance of the OCt release though ...

GDP-Final Sep 26

Chain Deflator-Final Sep 26

Mich Sentiment-Rev. Sep 26

Personal Income Sep 29

Personal Spending Sep 29

Consumer Confidence Sep 30

Chicago PMI Sep 30

Auto Sales Oct 1

Truck Sales Oct 1

ISM Index Oct 1

And to our Jewish stoolies - a very happy and healthy New Year!

What's that old saying by the Jewish traders ... "sell at Rosh Hashanah, buy at Yom Kippur [Oct. 6 this year]"?

Never took it seriously, but as I'm entering the 10-day period short, may as well give it a go ... :D

p.s. The bearish rabbis interpret it as "cover shorts at Yom Kippur." B)

Happy New Year, Glad, and to all of the Jewish stoolie persuasion!

Also Happy Birthday to anotherone!

Speaking of calendar, we can make better use of the board's calendar feature. It's really easy to add events to the calendar. If you know of a particular day an important report is due, go to the calendar and post it. YOu can even add events of a personal nature and with a simple drop down menu setting, the board will only show that event to you. Way cool.

If you want your birthday listed, just go to your profile in "My Controls" and input your birth date.

Be the first in your neighborhood to have one of these, and support the Stool!

Gold Loses Luster

Party Over?

Yesterday morning, in the Golden Stool, Doc wrote:

Have we reached the intermediate top? The 4 week cycle target moved up to 214 and the 13 day cycle target moved up to 220. Preliminary signs of rollover in the 13 week and six month cycles continued. Trending can continue as long as those indicators remain flat above the zero line, but the risk of a sudden break similar to yesterday's break in the broad market is growing.?

A push toward an apparent 1 year cycle cmap of 215 now appears to be in the cards, and if it gets there quickly enough, even 225 is possible. But Doc thinks 215 will be it. The correction will begin when the indicators and prices break to the downside together. The ensuing down phase should take the form of a sideways down phase (swdp), i.e. a trading range, but as always, such ranges can be wide, volatile, and can conclude with a deeper pullback.  The long term outlook has always looked unceasingly bullish. But the short term is growing increasingly risky.?

Your Golden Stool, including short and long term updated charts and price targets, is now loaded. Even if you are not a goldbug, you should read the Golden Stool! A daily Anals release. Take a subscribatory and get your daily release of the Golden Stool RIGHT NOW!

Well on the calendar today it is International Talk Like a Pirate Day. No, that doesn't mean saying things like " beat by a penny" or "upgrade to a strong buy on increased earings visibility"

Or maybe it does.

Avast me heartries, there is treachery afoot.

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

EDIT, oops, that was last Friday. Oh, well, it's the thought that counts.

Nobel-winning economist Franco Modigliani died.

Franco Modigliani, 85

The Nobel he received in 1985 also honored him for his insights into corporate financing. Working with Merton H. Miller, who won a Nobel in 1990 for his contribution, Mr. Modigliani demonstrated that leveraging a company through a lot of debt did not in itself affect a corporation's value.

The Modigliani-Miller theorem, taught to all finance students and universally accepted, is one of the engines of the debt expansion.

Machinehead's corollary: the Modigliani-Miller theorem is correct for one company in isolation. But in aggregate for the economy as a whole, it leads to a debt-financed boom, followed by the Hypertiger scenario.

Nobel-winning economist Franco Modigliani died.

Franco Modigliani, 85

The Nobel he received in 1985 also honored him for his insights into corporate financing. Working with Merton H. Miller, who won a Nobel in 1990 for his contribution, Mr. Modigliani demonstrated that leveraging a company through a lot of debt did not in itself affect a corporation's value.

The Modigliani-Miller theorem, taught to all finance students and universally accepted, is one of the engines of the debt expansion.

Machinehead's corollary: the Modigliani-Miller theorem is correct for one company in isolation. But in aggregate for the economy as a whole, it leads to a debt-financed boom, followed by the Hypertiger scenario.

I'd never heard of the M-M theorem specifically, although I have been aware and highly skeptical of the firm-level focus of finance education for some time. It's probably the one factor that most lead me on the path to find the Stool. The M-M theorem neatly capsulizes the intellectual bankruptcy of our times. You've neatly debunked it, MH, well done!

Archived