Photo

Snow Circuited

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
347 replies to this topic

#346 DrStool

DrStool

Chief of Stock Proctology

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,442 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 07:25 AM

The Best Gold Forum.

If your portfolio has you feeling irregular, for fast, long lasting relief, take a subscribatory. And support your local Stool!

#347 rayok

rayok

Bachelor of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 10:38 AM

WHY CURRENCY DEVALUATIONS ARE A LOSER'S GAME

If your country is productive and it's products are in demand, why reduce prices?

When prices are reduced (currency devalued) by 20%, you now need 21% more sales to benefit.

Imports are reduced because they are more expensive (20%), but imports must be reduced by more than 20% to benefit.

No country has ever devalued it's way to greater prosperity. :P

#348 BarBu

BarBu

Master of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 12:25 PM

I cannot site sources but believe the number I have seen in several places for  10% of all stock holders holding around 60% of all stocks is a good number.

This is not really that new.

Pareto (to whom the 80/20 rule is named after) was an economic historian who made the observation that 20% of people owned 80% of wealth.

Unfortunately, I am lumped in the plebian side of this wealth equation. :lol:

DIDNT WE ALL LEARN THIS at the Parker Bros. school of Economics,located i believe ,in Atlantic City??
:P

Looks like people are serious about this numbers...... I saw it at Bloomberg, a commtary by Art Pine about 2 years ago; Bloomberg already removed that link. I will dig the exact number from my office's computer if it is still there.

I retrieve the follwoing old commentary from my archive with the answer.

this is prettry much an obsolete commentary so I skip most the part.

---------------------------------------------

10/30 00:01

The Wealth Effect -- Not as Potent as Some Suggest

By Art Pine

Washington, Oct. 30 (Bloomberg) -- Next to the idea that there's a ``New Economy,'' the most ballyhooed concept in economics in recent years may be the ``wealth effect.''

... .....

Indeed, Edward N. Wolff, an economist at the Jerome Levy Institute, points out thatthe 1998 Fed figures show that 90 percent of total stock shares -- accounting for 79 percent of the overall value -- were held by the richest 10 percent of American families. The richest 1 percent held half of the total.

Stock market portfolio giving you the runs? See Dr. Stool.

Take a subscribatory!
Download 
The Anals of Stock Proctology now!

The Daily Stool - Stock Market Message Board
Stool's Gold- Gold and Precious Metals Forum
Look Out Below Message Board

Support your local Stool Board.

The Al E. Greenspeuman designer line at Stoolmart. Get yours today! Click here now!
Get Mugged!

Dr. Stool's
Book Search

Enter title, author, or keyword
Just books
All Products

Old Stool Depository

Live Steaming Pile Chart