Photo

Where the Bull Ends

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
134 replies to this topic

#106 Trader Joe

Trader Joe

Phd, Douchebagology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,570 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:24 PM

If you've never seen this documentary, it's worth a watch

...although, you'll never eat beef, chicken, dairy, ....etc again

Posted Image

#107 cwd

cwd

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

How nice. The Shell Oil company needs someone to accept transfer of some of their funds out of Nigeria, and they have chosen me to receive them.

:P

Congratulations. :D

#108 Jimi

Jimi

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 11,187 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:44 PM

Sounds familiar. I co-manage my Dad's portfolio. It's all about picking stocks for him.

He talks now & then about how there are "damn good companies" that are or were "cheap". Sometimes he actually seems to get a little affronted by the idea that the market suggested one of these damn good companies wasn't a damn good company, as evidenced by its stock price going down.

I just leave that dialogue alone. It's like arguing about who would win a fight between Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Totally surreal.

Plus, I need to preserve credibility, for when I'll really need him to listen.

My father, in contrast, was a Depression Era child who says he never knew sweets and whose family left Detroit in the middle of the night to stay ahead of his father's creditors. In my dad's final decade of employment, he systematically rebalanced from equities to bonds pretty much annually. This was through until ~1998, which allowed him to harvest a lot of gains that his equity-only friends saw evaporate in subsequent years.

He says he learned his lesson from bowling alley shares in the 1950s.
Sure glad all my albums went GOLD.
"Ferdy-bee-bee-dee-ferbs."
Subscribe & Earn Karma Miles with Every Visit!
Rule #5 Professional Exemption.
Blind Follower, Just Think Positive Hyperinflation, I Get Paid 500 Quadrillion Dollars/Hour at 1000% Interest/Hour Compounding Forever Each Mouse Click Religion.
"I too observe 'flation.'"
I love you, TASR!
YOU MAKE KITTY SCARED
Tops Take Time
Postulate A Free Lunch Economy
Anyone, now, who is not genuinely afraid is a moran.
[T]housands of empty stucco crapboxes vacated after being circle-jerk sham-traded among corrupt borkers, uppraisers and loan officers from 100K up to 800K, then "nopay-walkaway" (with dirty loan cash in pockets)
Guess again, girlfriend.
Or, $2.7 million every effing day since the effing pinball machine.
Permabear Hysterian

#109 cwd

cwd

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:48 PM

BWHAHAHA

My parents barely have 2 nickels to rub together, they survive off Social Security and Medicare

Good News though...

"When ya ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose"

They came to the US (Brooklyn) from England (by way of Canada) with $300, me and an old 1954 Chevy 4-door

Looks like there going out the same way....$300 and a 1996 Malibu

Plus what you give them. ;)

#110 cwd

cwd

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:07 PM

I don't know Summers' views, but it seems to me that far more important than a booming stock market for public confidence is some recovery in residential real estate. The shareholdings for most Americans is pretty limited - what limited wealth they'd accumulated through, say, 2007 existed as equity in their home. You see these stats about 1/4th of all Americans now being upside down in their home - I believe that will continue to trump everything related to asset values & consumer confidence until clear recovery is underway and home values are going up again.

Before the real estate crash, I think a link between the stock market and public confidence made more sense - back then, home values were assumed never to decline, and therefore, the stock market was the easiest public barometer of economic prospects, and thereby, public confidence.

I think most Americans now believe that a rising stock market raises few yachts, and its performance on the upside isn't going to generate the same dynamics we might have assumed of them in years past. Downside performance for the major indices, however, would confirm for many on Main Street the financial pain they feel.

I think the big difference between the RE and the SM now is the MARGIN call. The RE market has never had a margin call and with no mark to mark for the banksters, the leverage has never been paid off but every day the players in the stock and futures accounts are M2M and where appropriate, margin calls go out and even when hedge funds blow up, margin calls insure the big houses don't get hurt.
It is only when assets in the big houses read TBTF go bad is there a big problem which we know is fixed by the government.
IMO, at the current time it is much easier to inflate the SM as opposed to the RE market :blink:

#111 Trader Joe

Trader Joe

Phd, Douchebagology

• Members
  • 13,570 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:29 PM

ShamWow!

Here's an interesting factoid

Did anyone here know that commercial farmers today are not allowed to "save their own seed" for replanting....

Monsanto has a team of 75 ex-military thugs that roam the countryside keeping an eye on farmers...

If you are caught, "saving your own seed", well, best watch out....for "patent infringement"

Whodathunk

UFB

#112 Jimi

Jimi

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 11,187 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:35 PM

From the Marketwatch "B-Team":

12/27 CORRECT: Australian, Indian markets closed Monday

6:09p Australia's S&P/ASX 200 rises 1.1% in early moves
Blind Follower, Just Think Positive Hyperinflation, I Get Paid 500 Quadrillion Dollars/Hour at 1000% Interest/Hour Compounding Forever Each Mouse Click Religion.
I love you, TASR!
YOU MAKE KITTY SCARED
Tops Take Time
[T]housands of empty stucco crapboxes vacated after being circle-jerk sham-traded among corrupt borkers, uppraisers and loan officers from 100K up to 800K, then "nopay-walkaway" (with dirty loan cash in pockets)
Guess again, girlfriend.
Permabear Hysterian

#113 Jimi

Jimi

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 11,187 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:50 PM

ShamWow!

Did anyone here know that commercial farmers today are not allowed to "save their own seed" for replanting....

Monsanto has a team of 75 ex-military thugs that roam the countryside keeping an eye on farmers...

If you are caught, "saving your own seed", well, best watch out....for "patent infringement"

Whodathunk

UFB

Yuppers. They modeled it after the standard software wrapper: breaking the seal and using the product binds the buyer in a license of limited personal use. Plenty of seed available for farmers who wish not to enter into the contract.

Also little different from the thugs the recording industry sends out to listen to music in elevators and dentist waiting rooms to collect royalties and keep others honest. Intellectual property is intellectual property, and while there are plenty who don't like it, tough titties until they change the governing laws.
I love you, TASR!
YOU MAKE KITTY SCARED
Tops Take Time
Guess again, girlfriend.
Permabear Hysterian

#114 Trader Joe

Trader Joe

Phd, Douchebagology

• Members
  • 13,570 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:58 PM

Plenty of seed available for farmers who wish not to enter into the contract.

You'd think...

but then the plot thickens...

Soybean Farmer #1 (SF1) uses Monsanto and his next door neighbor (SF2) uses non-Monsanto non-GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) seed....

Eventually the pollination from SF1 crosses over to SF2 (and after saving seed and a few replantings of said seed), he now is growing GMO and as a result is now under Monsanto's thumb (patent protection / anti seed saving)...

Friggin' crazy

#115 cwd

cwd

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:00 PM

One of the great moves in SM history 10X in 9 months. :wacko:

Posted Image

Now let us check the fundies, Here is the net tangible assets for the last four quarters. Although things are improving, Ford still is 8 bil in the hole. :blink:

Stockholders' Equity
Misc Stocks Options Warrants - - - -
Redeemable Preferred Stock - - - -
Preferred Stock - - - -
Common Stock 33,000 33,000 24,000 24,000
Retained Earnings (14,524,000) (15,521,000) (17,782,000) (16,145,000)
Treasury Stock (178,000) (179,000) (180,000) (181,000)
Capital Surplus 14,698,000 13,929,000 10,985,000 9,076,000
Other Stockholder Equity (8,704,000) (9,005,000) (10,624,000) (10,085,000)

Total Stockholder Equity (8,675,000) (10,743,000) (17,577,000) (17,311,000)

Net Tangible Assets ($8,900,000) ($10,978,000) ($17,804,000) ($18,904,000)

#116 Jimi

Jimi

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 11,187 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:09 PM

You'd think...

but then the plot thickens...

Soybean Farmer #1 (SF1) uses Monsanto and his next door neighbor (SF2) uses non-Monsanto non-GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) seed....

Eventually the pollination from SF1 crosses over to SF2 (and after saving seed and a few replantings of said seed), he now is growing GMO and as a result is now under Monsanto's thumb (patent protection / anti seed saving)...

Friggin' crazy

Do you have a real-life example of this? The most celebrated case making this claim was Percy Schmeiser in Canada. Courts found him to be a liar:

As indicated by the trial court in Canada, the seed was not blown in on the wind nor carried in by birds, and it didn’t spontaneously appear. Schmeiser knowingly planted this seed in his field without permission or license. By doing so, he used Monsanto’s patented technology without permission. In fact, the courts determined this in three separate decisions.

http://www.monsanto....y_schmeiser.asp
I love you, TASR!
YOU MAKE KITTY SCARED
Tops Take Time
Guess again, girlfriend.
Permabear Hysterian

#117 cwd

cwd

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:21 PM

ShamWow!

Whodathunk

UFB

I thought most of the corn seed was hybrid, and wouldn't germinate if planted. I am not sure about soybeans. :unsure:

#118 Jimi

Jimi

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Members
  • 11,187 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:33 PM

I thought most of the corn seed was hybrid, and wouldn't germinate if planted. I am not sure about soybeans. :unsure:

It will germinate, but you'll suffer diminishing trait consistency with successive harvests, which is why farmers rebuy non-GMO corn seed each season rather than save it.
http://msucares.com/...eets/is1549.htm
I love you, TASR!
YOU MAKE KITTY SCARED
Tops Take Time
Guess again, girlfriend.
Permabear Hysterian

#119 GregFokker

GregFokker

Dean of Stock Proctology

• Moderators
  • 15,013 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:45 PM

"The Future of Food," "Food, Inc." and "King Corn" will change your eating habits for good. I was an enthusiastic omnivore until I watched them. I haven't gone vegan, because I don't seem to have been built that way, but I'll now go out of my way to try to find non-franken"food". And so far, it's been neither easy nor cheap. But one look at that poor grain-fed cow with the shunt they've fitted into its side, and the though of what all this crap is doing to us, and I'm now careful.

For years, my snack has been air-popped corn sprinkled with olive oil and salt. This year, the corn has been completely tasteless. I've tried different brands, organic, all kinds, and can't find anything that tastes like anything approaching the corn I bought even a year ago.

Really makes you go "hmmm."

...A declining spenglerian carnival of Colossaalism united with Inflation where the numbers one through 10 are forever banished as worthless arithmetical detritus from a bygone age... - Beardrech

Naturally we believe the govt numbers... and Boobus Americanus sleepwalks off the edge of the energy-crisis cliff clutching his shares of "Crisco", Yoohoo and GooGah munching on his Yum Yums and Ho Hos. Future historians will have a hell of a time figuring out what the hell Americanus neanderthalus was thinking and exactly what brought on his sudden demise... - Henny Penny

Well, good night everyone. I gotta go lube up for tomorrow's regular end-of-week Gold Slapdown and Stock Index Bear Punishment Rally Weekend Greenprint. ...Probably another Shock-and-Awe Gap-Up-Open and Wire-to-Wire Meltup Runaway Bull Charge Mo-Mo Spike to Fresh New All-Time Lifetime Highs, culminating in a 4:15 yelping scalded dog runoff with panic short-covering and legal not-held bad double fills due to fast market conditions, plus quote system freeze-ups and trading platform lock-outs along the way. *yawn* typical gov't Friday. - Shorty

#120 Last Dollar

Last Dollar

Stock Proctology Intern

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:52 PM

An incredible read:

An Introspective Look at the Future of America

http://earthblognews.blogspot.com/

Stock market portfolio giving you the runs? See Dr. Stool.

Take a subscribatory!
Download 
The Anals of Stock Proctology now!

The Daily Stool - Stock Market Message Board
Stool's Gold- Gold and Precious Metals Forum
Look Out Below Message Board

Support your local Stool Board.

The Al E. Greenspeuman designer line at Stoolmart. Get yours today! Click here now!
Get Mugged!

Dr. Stool's
Book Search

Enter title, author, or keyword
Just books
All Products

Old Stool Depository

Live Steaming Pile Chart