The Seven Per Cent Solution

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why in the world global tensions would arise for something as trivial as vaporizing (with a rocket), a blind old man in a wheelchair as he departs a place of worship... is simply beyond me.

Yeah, can you believe these hotheads --

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, who had been using his influence to press ahead with peace efforts, called [the assassination] ?cowardly."

Asked about its likely impact on the peace process, he replied: ?What peace process??

Mubarak cancelled plans for a few Egyptian legislators to participate in a celebration tomorrow in the Israeli parliament of the 25th anniversary of the Egypt-Israel peace treaty. The treaty was the first between Israel and an Arab state.

Why do the heathen rage?

Dr. John Hussman quotes a CSFB report on the mortgage market, which is now larger than the Treasury market (!):

The GSE's (Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac) among others, have been busy trying to redistribute this prepayment risk to broker dealers, among others. One way they do this is by buying an OTC interest rate option. This explains why the notional amount of interest rate options purchased by Fannie Mae has increased from about $27 billion at the end of 1998 to a whopping $444 billion by September of last year. In a nutshell, an increasingly small group of dealers are taking on an increasingly large amount of prepayment risk. Their hedging creates a feedback loop because dealers, collectively, will tend to buy Treasuries when interest rates are falling and sell them when interest rates are rising. Simultaneous hedging by dealers has the capacity to turn a relatively small move in interest rates into a relatively large one.

The net position in global interest rate options written by dealers (including FDIC insured banks like J.P. Morgan, Citigroup, and Bank of America) has exploded from a neutral position in 1999 to a net short position of -$888 billion in notional value.

Tail wags dog

Haven't we seen this movie before? It ran in Oct. 1987. It was called "portfolio insurance."

If mortgage rates start rising, the dealers who are $888 billion net short on rates are going to dump Treasuries by the ton into a market with no bids.

Will we experience the first bond market crash, in which bonds drop by 10% or 20% in a single day?

It is perfectly clear that a major train wreck is being set up here. There is no soft landing.

Interesting suggestion, but somehow I think the 'bond market solution' from the dealers association would be just to close the market. Of course doing so would make just about every MMFs and many MFs illiquid and unable to price their shares.

Plunger - My own opinion on the GDP is that besides some hedonic adjustment problems and some phanthom income, it is overstated simply because inflation is understated.

I think today gonna be UGGGGLY

Added to my shorts on the Russel and Spoos a few minutes ago.

Stops are very loose up at 1111.25

The PPT has their hands full.

Drawing straws to see who gets to pull the plug today. <_<

Archived