Amazon's Amazing Ramp

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty strange. Without a balance to pay, and with a sky high interest rate, your incentive to use your card is zero. Why would they want you to not use your card? After all they get the 3% vendor fee at a minimum.

It seems to me that if they want to increase business, fees, and charges, that they would provide reasonable interest rates to the most responsible, and very low interest rates to people in over their heads, in order to avoid charging off the account due to a strategic BK filing.

Maybe these guys have spent the last 12 months circling the bowl and are making one last effort to avoid the drainpipe.

Without access to cheap and easy credit the consumer is going down. This Christmas is going to one big lump of coal for retail.

House Bill to Provide Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Assistance

First-time bankruptcy filers (those who have not filed within the last three years) will receive up to $15,000 government assistance in the form of a refundable tax credit if their bankruptcy closes by Dec 15, 2009 under a new "Cash for Credit Cards" Bill H.R. 1069 sponsored by Rep. Richard Dickley of Sacramento, CA.

The legislation is intended to stimulate consumer spending by forgiving all existing credit card debt and staking the consumer with a fresh $15,000 just in time for Christmas shopping.

Applicants must not have earned over the median annual income anytime within the past three years, nor done anything useful or productive during their entire lives.

History ryhmes?

Since the charts on the indexes look quite similar to the 1975 liftoff, and Tradestation provides some individual stock charts back to those days, I thought I would compare a high flier of the time, with one today. By the way. I looked at a bunch of symbols, and it is striking how similar many of them look to individual stock charts today.

Just as with Baidu now, it must have seemed the Hewlett Packard would never stop rising in 1975...

Well it eventually had a bit of a correction after a run just a bit shorter than BIDU's current ramp.

It is a long way to the 200. ;)

First-time bankruptcy filers (those who have not filed within the last three years) will receive up to $15,000 government assistance in the form of a refundable tax credit if their bankruptcy closes by Dec 15, 2009 under a new "Cash for Credit Cards" Bill H.R. 1069 sponsored by Rep. Richard Dickley of Sacramento, CA.

The legislation is intended to stimulate consumer spending by forgiving all existing credit card debt and staking the consumer with a fresh $15,000 just in time for Christmas shopping.

Applicants must not have earned over the median annual income anytime within the past three years, nor done anything useful or productive during their entire lives.

Linky no workee...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D

There is a pretty interesting discussion going on over on Denninger's message boards regarding CC rate hikes. It seems alot of people are getting subjected to complimentary 25%+ interest rates on their credit cards, even if they have been good customers. The theory appears to be that the CC are attempting to make money any way they can because their losses are big.

It certainly seems like a game of Chicken. If you owe alot of money and you get the huge rate jack, why not just declare BK and give the boyz a big middle finger? A BK filing this year probably won't be a big deal in a year or two anyways, especially if things get worse.

If the big boyz were playing their cards correctly they would be lowering interest levels on people with large balances in order to reduce chances for a BK filing, after all, getting money back is certainly better than getting nothing back and eating a discharge. Of course we know they are not smart because they made massive unsecured loans without even verifying people's ability to pay.

:lol:

idiots!

If I remember correctly, the law was changed a couple of years ago and it is more difficult now to wipe out credit card debt in a BK. Those banksters get a lot for their money invested in the Congress critters. :angry2:

I have heard longtime precious metal experts like Dave Morgan say how there might be "one more shakeout" of gold before the "real" explosion begins. I like Dave Morgan, but there have been enough calls by these guys for "one more shakeout" to fill Fort Knox! Either commit to buying the stuff, or don't. Period. Nobody knows if and when there will be shakeouts, or how big they will be if/when they arrive.

As for Amazon.com- speaking of calls for "one more"- very gullibly on my part, I really did believe we were done with this nonsense. Not that it was impossible for there to be bounces- even big ones- but to get to the point where this POS has SURPASSED the bubble high...well, what can you say? And no, Peter Schiff, I don't care that it's down in "real" terms- nobody could have imagined this- even the most bullishly bullish bull. And as far as I'm concerned, this is all the more reason to BUY put options for Jan '11 and Jan '12. The higher up they go, the harder they fall. And even if they don't fall far enough, the pricing is so lopsided, it would be insane NOT to take the "risk"!

Happy trading...

I quit trading gold about two years ago. There have been some wide rides, but I just try to keep adding when I think each new shakeout is about over. I don't think gold is going up, fiat paper is going down as printing presses are going warp speed and I don't they are going to slow down. I am starting to buy small miners now,

I loved the shots of Steve LIESman in some bucolic setting interviewing the big names at the Boston Fed conference talking about raising interest rates. UFB :wacko:

Every time I see that crazy sh%t, I convert more paper into real gold coins. There is no possible way this government is going to stop handing fresh new money, hot off the press until the dollar collapses . :angry2:

It must be Friday and the FDIC has some more credit fron the UST. :angry2:

The bank failures, 106 in all, are the most in any year since 181 collapsed in 1992, at the end of the savings-and-loan crisis. On Friday, regulators took over three small Florida banks — Partners Bank and Hillcrest Bank Florida, both of Naples, and Flagship National Bank in Bradenton — along with American United Bank of Lawrenceville, Ga., Bank of Elmwood in Racine, Wis., Riverview Community Bank in Otsego, Minn., and First Dupage Bank in Westmont, Ill.

Yahoo

uh.... it was Shorty's little joke. Rep. Dick Dickley?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

They were talking about extending the home buyer tax credit to 15k and making it available to anyone on CNBS. Just wait a few days and Mr DICK may be Mr Frank. :lol: :

I quit trading gold about two years ago. There have been some wide rides, but I just try to keep adding when I think each new shakeout is about over. I don't think gold is going up, fiat paper is going down as printing presses are going warp speed and I don't think they are going to slow down. I am starting to buy small miners now,

It sounds like this guy has been reading M2M. B)

Financial Insurance’

“I don’t think the question really is what is gold worth but what are currencies not worth,” McGuire, 43, said yesterday. “Consider the tremendous fiscal excess that major governments have made to prevent the world economy from collapsing,” he said. Owning gold today is “financial insurance,” he said.

McGuire, with 15 years of international financial experience, has worked for the seventh-largest pension fund in the U.S. since 2001. He had managed a $2 billion European equity portfolio and was ranked among the best Latin American anal cysts by Institutional Investor in 1995 and 1996, he said.

Bloomer

Need a gold plated tungsten bar that is very difficult to detect? Who do you think is advertising that product. And you thought you banker was a crook.:blink:

Why tungsten alloy is used as gold substitution?

In theory, as its density is 19.1g/cm3, which is approximately 70% denser than lead, uranium could be used as material of making fake coin. However, it is weakly radioactive and not as dense as gold, so it does not appear to be a practical method.

Then people have discovered that tungsten is environmental-friendly, durable and hardness, the most important is that its density of 19.25g/cm3 is just about the same density as gold (19.3g/cm3), which bears the similar specific gravity. These advantages make tungsten enjoys the superiority to be the best substitute for the costly metal of gold or platinum. It is necessary to tell that alloying gold with tungsten would not work for several reasons but a coin with a tungsten center and gold all around it could not be detected as counterfeit by density measurement alone.

Link

If I remember correctly, the law was changed a couple of years ago and it is more difficult now to wipe out credit card debt in a BK. Those banksters get a lot for their money invested in the Congress critters. :angry2:

My research into that indicates that in the end there isn't much different about the process. If you can't pay you can't pay. The only thing that can't be discharged still is student loans.

Archived