Long Weekend Discussion

Coal stocks today remind me of the steel stocks back in December 2005 and January 2006.

Spectacular collapse from a peak.

Nice rally that failed.

Then another big selloff.

Then another huge volume breakout.

Nobody bought it because nobody believed it, after being burned so many times trying to pick a bottom.

big.chart?symb=x&compidx=aaaaa%3A0&ma=0&maval=9&uf=0&lf=1&lf2=0&lf3=0&type=2&size=2&state=8&sid=994422&style=320&freq=1&startdate=12%2F4%2F2004&enddate=12%2F1%2F2005&comp=NO%5FSYMBOL%5FCHOSEN&nosettings=1&rand=3603&mocktick=1

big.chart?symb=aks&compidx=aaaaa%3A0&ma=0&maval=9&uf=0&lf=1&lf2=0&lf3=0&type=2&size=2&state=8&sid=12303&style=320&freq=1&startdate=12%2F4%2F2004&enddate=1%2F28%2F2006&comp=NO%5FSYMBOL%5FCHOSEN&nosettings=1&rand=5505&mocktick=1

574136[/snapback]

Not quite sure where you think we are if it's following the steel pathway -- are we about to have the 2nd big selloff, or is this the breakout that no one believes?

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Researchers from the Nanomaterials Research Centre at Massey University in New Zealand have developed synthetic dyes that can be used to generate electricity at one tenth of the cost of current silicon-based solar panels. These photosynthesis-like compounds work in low-light conditions and can be cheaply incorporated into window-panes and building materials, thereby turning them into generators of electricity."

http://masseynews.massey.ac.nz/2007/Press_...s/04-04-07.html

"Researchers from the Nanomaterials Research Centre at Massey University in New Zealand have developed synthetic dyes that can be used to generate electricity at one tenth of the cost of current silicon-based solar panels. These photosynthesis-like compounds work in low-light conditions and can be cheaply incorporated into window-panes and building materials, thereby turning them into generators of electricity."

http://masseynews.massey.ac.nz/2007/Press_...s/04-04-07.html

574139[/snapback]

The company XSUNX is already working along these pathways. I don't know if this is old news, or new news, and if this will be good or bad for XSUNX.

And this is why I grit my teeth and hold on to TINY, which can be wildly volatile. They're the CMGI (venture capital company) of nanotechnology -- but hopefully without the disastrous bust that CMGI experienced. They are profitable now, but if they happen to be holding a private placement in a company that announces some great new technology and then goes public.... to the moon, Alice.

Just because I miss him, has TE posted lately? I hope he did not get upset or anything. Thanks Drano for reminding me of TINY.

I wish I were joking, received a multi million dollar assessment from the I R S.  This is lunacy.  Is this common? It is obviously a mistake, please tell me these are easy to fix.

574140[/snapback]

I used to own a business and the bank that handled our payroll taxes made an error.

Once or twice a week, we'd get threatening letters from the IRS with increasing penalty amounts. We got the bank to admit the errors to the IRS but the letters continued. It's the kind of thing that you do lose sleep over.

We solved the problem by contacting the IRS Problem Resolution Office. It took some calls but the letters eventually went away.

You should go through normal channels first before contacting the PRO.

BTW, is this for some mismatch on your Schedule D?

I wish I were joking, received a multi million dollar assessment from the I R S.  This is lunacy.  Is this common? It is obviously a mistake, please tell me these are easy to fix.

574140[/snapback]

I used to own a business and the bank that handled our payroll taxes made an error.

Once or twice a week, we'd get threatening letters from the IRS with increasing penalty amounts. We got the bank to admit the errors to the IRS but the letters continued. It's the kind of thing that you do lose sleep over.

We solved the problem by contacting the IRS Problem Resolution Office. It took some calls but the letters eventually went away.

574145[/snapback]

Similar situation, used to own a business, and it could be pointing to that, although I doubt on the scale of millions. Your comment on Sched D, an error could cause a whopping multi-million??

574140[/snapback]

574145[/snapback]

Similar situation, used to own a business, and it could be pointing to that, although I doubt on the scale of millions. Your comment on Sched D, an error could cause a whopping multi-million??

574146[/snapback]

Well, you add up your sales for the year and if you trade a lot, the amounts could be in the tens or hundreds of millions. That's one area.

Could be illegals using your SS number too but that wouldn't lead to millions unless those illegals were mortgage brokers.

Did you get an explanation of the assessment? Or were you able to call someone? Better yet, if you have a local office, head down there Monday (if Friday is a holiday), sit down with someone and have them pull up your records so that you can get to the bottom of this. You sound like you have some sophistication with taxes.

If the amount were a lot smaller, you could just write them a check to get them off your back and then work out whatever the problem is and then get your money back. If you don't have that luxury, then IMO, time is of the essence.

Very weak bullish action the last three days, IMO. 2004, they could run up a pre-holiday market 1%. Maybe not Monday, but by next Firday, we'll be back at 1425 or below. Like Mark Haynes said, this rally is water weight.

Mark knows his water, especially when mixed with Jack Daniels.

some folks are sloooowly starting to join the dots.

The perfect storm is about to unleash all ts fury on all the unsuspecting sheeple.

As winter ends, job market blues just starting

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The labor market may be wilting just as spring gets under way, with warmer weather highlighting the housing sector's misfortune and its growing toll on the broader economy.

This is bad news for displaced workers but is also bound to unnerve Wall Street investors, who are banking on consumers to carry growth forward as businesses turn cautious.

http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersEdge...is&pageNumber=1

574140[/snapback]

I received an assessment of $1.9 million from the IRS two years ago. Primarily this conerned my schedule D from 2003 when I was a heavy trader. The IRS has no buyside data on investment securities, only info and when you sold a stock and for how much. Apparently my trading pattern and the way I reported my info to the IRS fit the description of someone who hides/ launders money so i was investigated, thorughly. I hired a tax attorney and after several thousand $ and several liters of tequila my name was cleared. During the darkest period of this investigation the IRS sent to me a repayment schedule where I would have to repay $1.95million. Each month $9,000 of interest would have accrured on this balance (assuming a 5% rate). I think a lot of hair on my head turned grey that summer.

You have two choices, represent yourself or get a lawyer. The obfusticating nature of the IRS and the amount of the assessment pushed me to the latter. In retrospect I may have panicked

Sorry, it sucks

Archived