IDS World Markets Wed 20th April 05

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

t?s=^AORD

A bit of a hangover from yesterday but All Ords still managing to scrape up 0.5%. 8 out of 10 sectors are green with Healthcare in the lead, +1.6% and Telecoms in the rear, -1.3%.

Miners are looking good, particularly the gold producers: the Materials index +0.8%. The oils looking ok too with Energy +1.1%.

NZ, which has been open some time, has deteriorated intraday so it will be interesting to see if the rest of us do the same..

One example of how government controls affect free markets....

Ipiranga Shuts Brazil Refinery to Try to Stem Losses

April 19 (Bloomberg) -- Cia. Brasileira de Petroleo Ipiranga, Brazil's second-largest oil company, shut down an unprofitable refinery, saying it was unable to compete after the government-owned producer held back prices.

``We are shutting down to stop the losses,'' Elizabeth Tellechea, director of Ipiranga's refining business, said in an e- mailed statement today.

The Rio de Janeiro-based company has been hurt by the government's efforts to slow inflation by stemming increases in fuel prices charged by state-controlled Petroleo Brasileiro SA, which supplies 98 percent of the market, even as crude oil prices have climbed to records.

Petrobras raised fuel prices 17.6 percent since January 2004, while crude oil soared by more than half.

Ipiranga loses money at its refinery when crude oil prices rise above $44 a barrel, the company said. Crude has been above $44 since August 2004.

China's Economy Grows 9.5 Percent, More Than Expected

April 20 (Bloomberg) -- China's economy, which accounted for a 10th of global growth last year, expanded more than expected in the first quarter as exports and investment surged.

China, which last year overtook Japan to become the world's third-largest exporter, accounted for 26 percent of the record $617.7 billion U.S. trade deficit last year, prompting U.S. Treasury Secretary John Snow to renew calls this week for an end to the yuan's peg to the dollar. American manufacturers say the peg, which enabled the yuan to track the dollar's 9.1 percent slide against the euro in the past year, gives Chinese exporters an unfair advantage.

Investors are betting China will allow its currency to appreciate. The yuan would rise to 7.8445 in a year if freely traded from the pegged rate of 8.2770, according to forward contracts as of 10:55 a.m. in Hong Kong.

Crapvision Europe doing a valiant job "explaining" why European markets are going to open higher - various company stories blah blah blah..

What they should really say is:

europe went down beacause US mkts went down, then we held on waitinng to see what the US markets would do after we closed yesterday. Well, US markets went up after we closed , so we go up today.

And, perchance if the US markets are closed , well we are clueless and have a low volume, nothing day, unless of course we have some catching up to from the previous day in the US Markets - in which case we promptly make the rrequired adjustments so we are EXACTLY in line withe the US Markets and ready for when they open again, and we just wait.

CLEVER. And original TOO..

Asia not responding to INTC news- esp Taiwan tech. matbe they did'nt get the benefit of an extra week in their quarter - hey get with it!

China GDP 9.5% - I believe China's GDP numbers about as much as I believe US CPI numbers , maybe less - because I understand the CPI manipulations in excruciating detail but only have a general sense that China's GDP even if an honest attempt were made would be impossible to quantify with any precision - and iam not sure an "honest " attempt is always made. All I know is recent oil import figures were down significantly and this does not jell with 9.5%GDP growth.

So the entire world is pegged to the US - currencies, stocks .. everything. No need to bother to "diversify" internationally - unless you enjoy hearing the same rubbish with a cute accent.

Yep,Henny Penny! The rest of the world's markets are around to provide US crapvision viewers with cute accents from far away places! :lol:

Mind you,what the purpose is of our little pile opening every morn is,I haven't a clue.

If they were realistic,they would maybe open for an hour at 9.00am but close it by 10-10.30am.Everyone could then go and do something really sensible and productive with their time.The market would just need to open again at the same time as NY,so that everyone could get the feeling that they had done something for the day!

To complement the China GBP "number," today's schedule from the Ministry of Plenty is once again packed tight. Here are the notables:

US ET Bullhorning Description

------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

04:30 ?words? re Bank of England minutes

07:00 ?numbers? re Real Estate Bubble inputs

08:30 ?numbers? re ?There is no Inflation? for the ?resilient consumer?

12:00 ?words? from UST?s Snow in support of National Usury Cartel

12:15 ?words? from FED?s Furguson re BOJ?s ?vigorous? USD TICK Machine

14:00 ?words? re FED?s biege book

14:15 ?words? from FED?s Geithner in support of National Usury Cartel

In the interest of full disclosure , here is a partial list of new items I don't believe:

1. Nigerian bank scam emails

2. Nigerian oil worker strike threats

3. US Inflation, real GDP and Productivity numbers

4. Chinese GDP, Inflation numbers

5. earnings ex items/ or raw - particularly from US companies

5. Words from Govt heads, central bankers and the Davos crowd

6. All analysis from Wank Street / Bloomber anal cysts

7. All major News Media stories

There - so now I can spend my days reading interesting science fiction novels - no I don't believ these either - but at least they are interesting!

So the entire world is pegged to the US - currencies, stocks .. everything. No need to bother to "diversify" internationally - unless you enjoy hearing the same rubbish with a cute accent.

Yep,Henny Penny! The rest of the world's markets are around to provide US crapvision viewers with cute accents from far away places! :lol:

Mind you,what the purpose is of our little pile opening every morn is,I haven't a clue.

If they were realistic,they would maybe open for an hour at 9.00am but close it by 10-10.30am.Everyone could then go and do something really sensible and productive with their time.The market would just need to open again at the same time as NY,so that everyone could get the feeling that they had done something for the day!

I must admit I enjoy watching Sue-Ellen of Hobken dressed up as heidi with a German accent , also mary-Jo from louiville doing the French accent - HOT.

I must admit I enjoy watching Sue-Ellen of Hobken dressed up as heidi with a German accent , also mary-Jo from louiville doing the French accent - HOT.

TV settings : Wide Screen Ratio - Volume Muted

Archived