Mark To Market Memorial Forum

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Piles and I and the End have been pounding the table for 3 days saying the top is in! Last night when I posted- the MOOD in here by and large was "they are going to ramp it again-oh NO! It was so bad Piles e mailed me and we had a good laugh about it. Guyz and Gals-this one is where we make the BIG DOUGH in a pardon the pun-SHORT TIME. This was the first of many KA CHING days dead ahead. Downside volume today was 10 to 3 over upside-you know when you last saw that happen, look it up, you'll like what you find. Oops forgot Summoner he's been balls to the walls short too and stayed the course. Enjoy Monday looks to be a beaut-Trade Safe!

VXN chart

Interesting how during '99 while the Nazz was gaining 80%+ the VXN spent its time between about 32-50.

What makes 33 such an incredibly low number now? Or is it just the spike down from the 40's in the last month that is significant?

well, simply put... high or rising bullishness in a momentum-driven bull-market may work OK for extended periods...

but... high and rising bullishness in a bearmarket spells another disaster for the bulls.

you only need to examine and compare the 3year charts of OEX and VIX....

the most bearish condition is a falling or sideways market AND a falling VIX.

thats what we had over the last month. the market is virtually flat since the top March 21, but VIX meanwhile has completely collapsed.

that is what the markets will also do over the coming months.

And now for something completely different . . .

nature01403-f2.2.jpg

Today marks the 50th anniversary of the discovery of the double-helix structure of DNA by Watson and Crick.

DNA Discovery: The first 50 years

A milestone for humanity as significant as fire, the wheel, the Gutenberg press, the laws of motion, the theory of evolution, and quantum mechanics.

The original paper, published in Nature, was one page long.

A Structure for Deoxyribose Nucleic Acid [in PDF]

DeepBlue: you left out the name of Rosalind Franklin who did a good bit of the work, but whose contribution was diminished considerably by Watson in his sorry account of the events.

A lot of people help build the foundations, including Avery, Chargaff, Franklin and Wilkins, and Pauling.

Watson and Crick were the first to figure out what it meant: that DNA had a double helix structure.

The Rosalind Franklin Story

VXN chart

Interesting how during '99 while the Nazz was gaining 80%+ the VXN spent its time between about 32-50.

What makes 33 such an incredibly low number now? Or is it just the spike down from the 40's in the last month that is significant?

well, simply put... high or rising bullishness in a momentum-driven bull-market may work OK for extended periods...

but... high and rising bullishness in a bearmarket spells another disaster for the bulls.

you only need to examine and compare the 3year charts of OEX and VIX....

the most bearish condition is a falling or sideways market AND a falling VIX.

thats what we had over the last month. the market is virtually flat since the top March 21, but VIX meanwhile has completely collapsed.

that is what the markets will also do over the coming months.

I see what you mean. Tanks!

There are so many different settings on IB that I have yet to (a) use them myself or (B) peruse the manual (rtfm?). Meant to do it this week, but just kept buying puts instead :blink: Anyone with experience on IB with the different tweaks with stops would be a hero this weak end? Any takers?

Scottrade doesn't have stop loss order for options.

Looking for a discount broker that does allow stop orders and preferably not just day orders.

Email me?

Stu

www.interactivebrokers.com

Be careful- I've tried stops on OEX puts on IB, and all three separate times, I left the computer for a few hours and they were snapped right up. And the bid was much higher than my stop when I returned and the OEX index didn't move enough to justify the stop. I swear the SOB's dropped the bid just to steal my options. :angry: I'll never put a stop on an option again on IB. Just my experience- yours may vary. :blink:

Also, I'm as excited as can be, but I'm keeping the champagne on ice until these lines are broken to the downside. I've taken quite a beating over the past few weeks and I'm not ready for another, thank you Sir. :unsure:

post-7-1051312436.gif

Archived