CountrySlide

This isn't intended to be a joke, but maybe it is (on me).

Looking casually at XLNX today (I actually had to concentrate on work today so could not trade -- perhaps fortunately for me) -- it was making wild swings up and down.

Why not just buy some when it seems to have hit a reversal and everything is heading up, and in the short account, short some when it gets reasonably far up, knowing that it will probably go further up. Sell the long when it rolls over, sell the short (hopefully below entry) when it seems to bottom and turn up. -- with these wildly volatile stocks, which fluctuate so much within a wide range, if I get decent entries, why would this be a bad strategy? In other words, same principle as a straddle but not getting killed with the spread getting in and out for daytrades. Be gentle, it's my first time......

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This isn't intended to be a joke, but maybe it is (on me).

Looking casually at XLNX today (I actually had to concentrate on work today so could not trade -- perhaps fortunately for me) -- it was making wild swings up and down.

Why not just buy some when it seems to have hit a reversal and everything is heading up, and in the short account, short some when it gets reasonably far up, knowing that it will probably go further up. Sell the long when it rolls over, sell the short (hopefully below entry) when it seems to bottom and turn up. -- with these wildly volatile stocks, which fluctuate so much within a wide range, if I get decent entries, why would this be a bad strategy? In other words, same principle as a straddle but not getting killed with the spread getting in and out for daytrades. Be gentle, it's my first time......

Why not? Contrary to Hursts profit maximization principle. Capital is tied up. Hurst notes that you shouldn't short the same stocks that you dong. Emphasis on stock selection; shorts and dongs have different criteria. But then Hurst wasn't a daytrader either. B)

bring on financial doom. small mortgage on beach property, home F&C, 8 years of living expenses in the bank - not including investment income, plenty of cash and long NEM. bring it on! and my business thrives too when r.e. tanks. bring it on! just down the street from me some idiot just paid $400/SF for a 720 SF 2br/1bth; 50 yo house on a crappy lot. the prior owner was 90 or so when he past-away - the thing needed a ton of work!

mark could comment better :unsure: - but the real estate boom in socal has a darker side. two immigrant families sharing 1br/1bth or studio units. in 2br units its hard to count, but 2 sets of bunk beds in the living room, beds in BRs are kinda put together like a mosaic. the best one was when i opened a small closet and a guy was watching TV as he sat on his bunk roll. i felt so bad, i had forgotten to knock. :blink: many places have 2 refrigerators... bedroom doors have dead bolts on them as they are being sublet w/o owner's okey.

CA is toast - last one to leave hit the light! im looking at reno properties, but the spillover from CA is driving prices there too. :unsure:

if CFC cant make an honest buck in this market (caveat - we are taking about a mortgage borker), LOB when things get tough.

Attention Riverboaters:

Stop it with the jokes!!!

I break my neck for you guys to paint a picture of The Wall Struck Horror Show, and all you can do is pass along some jokes?

Are you guys deaf and dumb to the size, scope, and the complexity of the Paper Pyramid such that it bears no discussion?

What happened to Rog and london??

What happened to the intelligent investment bankers who could shed some light on the madness?

Where is the stoolie whose wife works in the Structured Finance Catacombs?

All we have left here is a bunch of Riverboating Motion Chasers, whose only interest is to tailhook with the Robots?

You guys are a bunch of degenerates!!! Shame on you!!

FOKKER:

Please move these jokes to LOB.....

By the way, the Commodity Robot guest (Ed Young) on last night?s Tom O?Brien program said his models went long on the stock indexes yesterday.  Did that Robot reverse the trade today?  How do the gamers on vacation feel about AutoPilot getting whipsawed?

Listen tonight.  He?s on as a guest again.

http://www.tfnn.com/archived_042003.php

Don?t forget Roger Arnold.  He?s becoming my favorite.

http://www.tfnn.com/archived_042003_ra.php

Roger also does a weekend show here, but archives are not available until Monday:

http://www.businesstalkradio.net/weekend_h...chives/ra.shtml

Moe Ansari is another good technician.  Unbiased, goes long and short.

http://www.businesstalkradio.net/weekday_h...chives/mw.shtml

Alan Newman's Commentary on War

And the board?s favorite:  Jim Puplava.

http://www.netcastdaily.com/fsnewshour.htm

Have a good weekend, Riverboaters?..

Mark, thanks for posting the archives. I listened to your last Roger Arnold archive post, good stuff. Please keep posting these. Tanks.

Sorry, Mark....

Guess we're blowing off some nervous energy for not getting blown out today. There's MORE than enough reasons that we should be sitting in the same position as Japan i.e., 20 year lows...the difference between them and us right now is that they are at least public about their manipulation and plea for a "concerted effort" to save their markets. Al Green still believes he alone can pull us through...

no joke here....local co offering interest only mortgages for first ten years....what a deal...still dont trust the bulls...when I go short it will be balls to the wall.... u only live once and need to take some risk to reap rewards...some may call it poor money management but have made some major coin with the options this year and gonna lay it all on the line... need to spend less time reading charts and more time with the family.....probably may and june spx putz....will let u all know watching the cmaps closely......wife really on my case to much time working and on the internet...just the other day she accused me of totally ignoring her again...in an effort to arouse my attention she spent some of my hard earned dollars at Victorias Secrets,...came home while I was reading M2M and started dancing in the den....before I knew it she had lost her lace teddy and was standing there in a killer black lace crotchless thong. You can imagine my suprise, she playfully asked, Hey big boy want some of this?, after thinking for a moment I gazed back at my computer hit the return and replied ...Hell no, look what it did to your underwear...Sorry windy...TRADE SAFE...Now back to the charts!

That was a BAAAAAAD day for the BULLZ-a lot of technical damage done and as END pointed out ending in a shooting star-I am still SHORT-855 if it holds we should bounce, break 843 we go STRAIGHT to new lows-today hurt the bounce case . Windy-great disssection of that steaming POS-Country wide . Trade Safe!

The OEX p/c ratio is still dropping while the equity p/c ratio just dropped today (that QQQ day where the ratio was 1.4 dropped out of the moving average today) for me this means we get one more spike up to clear out most remaining shorts (except those who know better). We can also put in a right shoulder. At least I hope so....covered today in anticipation of balls to the wall short on Tuesday or Wednesday from a little bit higher.....

See:

http://www.decisionpoint.com/affiliate/pc.html

no joke here....local co offering interest only mortgages for first ten years....what a deal...still dont trust the bulls...when I go short it will be balls to the wall.... u only live once and need to take some risk to reap rewards...some may call it poor money management but have made some major coin with the options this year and gonna lay it all on the line... need to spend less time reading charts and more time with the family.....probably may and june spx putz....will let u all know watching the cmaps closely......wife really on my case to much time working and on the internet...just the other day she accused me of totally ignoring her again...in an effort to arouse my attention she spent some of my hard earned dollars at Victorias Secrets,...came home while I was reading M2M and started dancing in the den....before I knew it she had lost her lace teddy and was standing there in a killer black lace crotchless thong. You can imagine my suprise, she playfully asked, Hey big boy want some of this?, after thinking for a moment I gazed back at my computer hit the return and replied ...Hell no, look what it did to your underwear...Sorry windy...TRADE SAFE...Now back to the charts!

summoner,

i know - my buddy just bought a place that will run him about $850K after flooring upgrades and landscaping - hey dude, you dont expect landscaping too for only $800K house, do you? luckily the lot is only 5000 sf or less, so there's not as much to landscape compared to other places.

he got a 30-year mort with IO for first 5 years at like 4.50% - after that it adjusts - borrower beware. by his reckoning the place will go up to $1,350,000 in 5 years, so why mess with chiseling away at the principal.

anybody feel like jumping in the car and moving here?

Scary stuff ....went back and looked at Zorans chart for the spx last weekend... he predicted the S$P move this week to a tee...he,he,he ....check out where he thinks we go from here....Doc short, zoran short, now just have to see how Ikes summation indexes and market internals look...still stalking....PS, stoolies should be all over AMGN, gap at 38 needs to fill before it see SG's 80.

Scary stuff ....went back and looked at Zorans chart for the spx last weekend... he predicted the S$P move this week to a tee...he,he,he ....check out where he thinks we go from here....Doc short, zoran short, now just have to see how Ikes summation indexes and market internals look...still stalking....PS, stoolies should be all over AMGN, gap at 38 needs to fill before it see SG's 80.

Summoner,

Do you have a link for Zoran?

wndysrf,

Pardon me if this has already been posted elsewhere, but this story has Lifetime Channel movie of the week quality.

A hedgefund blows all it's investors' money producing movies under the name of "Holedigger Productions" ?

How apropriate.

I wonder how many "actresses" in your neighborhood are still waiting for these guys to call them back like they promised?

http://www.nypost.com/business/56417.htm

Zoran's count isn't a valid ewave count, and he'll be proved very wrong early next week IMO. Should see a very weak early Monday morning, but we should then get once last rally for a final fifth wave to complete an inverted expanded flat off the 2/13 lows. See link for details......

http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SC.web?c=$SPX,uu[r,a]eeclyyay[d20030226,20030411][pc20!c50!c200][vc60][ilb14!lm12!lp14,3,3][J11217489,Y]&listNum=3

Archived