Hedge Funds and Junks

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Skov?s picture is posted on page C17. ?He looks like your typical X-Box gamer. ?Shaved head, mustache, goatee, and stylish oval shaped glasses. ?He was convinced that he was going to be the next ?big hitter? on Wall Street. ?The envy of everyone at Morgan Stanley. ?Then he could have a shot at those juicy Asian ?Lucy Lin? financial advisers over in China featured on Morgan Stanley?s Bloomberg commercials on TV. ?Maybe he could have a crack at the lovely and delectable Catherine Yang, the night anchor.[/i]

Or maybe that "Harris Direct" asian fox.

post-7-1049840838_thumb.jpg

donald's philadelphia experiment

lotsa talk today about the bradley. remember that

1) there is no 'the' bradley, only this or that bradley....they're variable-dependent.

2) the turn dates often correspond loosely with turns in the market.

2a) market turns have been happening ahead of bradley turns.

3) bradley turns are adirectional, meaning that they suggest windows where a trend change will take place, but do NOT specify up or down (even though many models have had a decent directional correlation for a year or two).

3a) this adirectional nature has led people to use the term 'inversion', which makes good graphical sense, but a recent bradley high being a market low doesn't guarantee that a coming bradley low is definitely going to be a market high.

4) periods without a bradley turn by no means imply periods without one or more ST/IT trend reversals.

SARS

WHO stats:

date dead infected

tue 8 apr 03: 103 2671

mon 7 apr 03: 98 2601

sun 6 apr 03: - -

sat 5 apr 03: 89 2416

fri 4 apr 03: 84 2353

thu 3 apr 03: 79 2270

wed 2 apr 03: 78 2223

tue 1 apr 03: 62 1804

mon 31 mar 03: 58 1622

still looks linear.

FWIW, a large (nameless) company with considerable SE asian presence has cancelled all corporate travel to affected areas, and asked all employees returning from such areas to work at home for what would be the duration of the incubation period.

Tax Time 4/8/03

Most stoolies are well familiar with this time of year. It means two things. We all rush like hell to get our taxes done, and 401k contributions pour into institutional coffers. Something tells Doc that the level of contributions will be down this year, and more than usual will go in to bond funds. The boost these contributions usually provide for stocks won't be there. At least that's what Doc thinks the indicators are telling us.

Doc reviews the charts, and chronicles the short, intermediate, and long term market cycles, with hot pictures of naked stock charts, the Long Bong Hit, Uncle Buck and the Golden Stool. Drop by your stock proctologist's office, and get the inside picture, all in the Anals tonight.

Stoolies, log one in. If you're not a stoolie already, become one Now! And don't forget to join Doc during the market day in Stooltrading Beta as he plots the market's twists and turns for you, in advance yet!

Added to my shorts today now have the top two rungs of my ladder done I have a reasonable position but "balls to the wall" I'm not! I will be when I'm convinced there is little chance of another run up to test 905. Bernie Schaeffer wrote an interesting piece today about how on the last 4 rallies the markets after making a top have screwed sideways and slightly down for a longer than usual time and then when they fall off the cliff drop quickly to the bottom. To me that shows the manipulation in the markets-Da Boyz prop it up for as long as they can to get short and then pull the plug and and yell "TIMBER" once the BEARS get nervous DA BOYZ cover quickly and the ramp starts again. With the War about over I don't think the old act will work anymore-the reeeeealllly big one is almost upon us. Trade Safe!

Strange, that deadcharts shows different numbers online, prints different numbers !

I've read something very interesting about expiration games which clears to me why we see strange things during OE.. And it's not the maximum-pain theory which didn't work last month :angry:

It's all about arbitrageurs.. Whether arbitrageurs are long stock and syntetic short in OEX options (long puts and short calls) or vice versa, i.e. short stocks, long calls, short puts. They are the ones who "advertise" that market on close orders, as long as they can liquidate positions at prices that determines the exercise price of OEX, they don't care..

Larry Mc Millan has a whole chapter in his book McMillan on Options about these machinations and how to profit from it.. I think everybody should read to understand what's going on..

Coming soon, to a morning futures ramp job you won't believe:

From the AP Wire:

4/7 WASHINGTON (AP) -- Confronting new fears of recession, the Federal Reserve is refining an emergency economic rescue plan that includes further interest rate cuts and billions of dollars in extra cash for the banking system?..

"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

Bill Murphy's Comments:

"The Fed will create a bond bubble bigger than the NASDOG bubble as every operator on the planet moves all remaining capital into the bottomless pit known as the US government bond market. Think Japan here (again)."

"This will leave the rest of the economy capital-less. The Fed still doesn't "get it". We need higher rates to attract savings which will be turned into capital."

"Unless the "behind the curtain" plan is nothing more than bailing out the bankrupt US government, in which case this would be the way to do it, at the expense of what's left of the non-government economy. Starve the workers and support your federal government."

"We need a grassroots campaign for Dr. Kurt Richebacher as Fed Chairman and Doug Noland as Secretary of Treasury."

Sorry, Richebacher and Noland would not dare assume the job after the bubble is so far extended. There is no turning back. Al Green must suffer the consequences.

Coming soon, to a morning futures ramp job you won't believe:

From the AP Wire:

4/7 WASHINGTON (AP) -- Confronting new fears of recession, the Federal Reserve is refining an emergency economic rescue plan that includes further interest rate cuts and billions of dollars in extra cash for the banking system?..

"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

Bill Murphy's Comments:

"The Fed will create a bond bubble bigger than the NASDOG bubble as every operator on the planet moves all remaining capital into the bottomless pit known as the US government bond market. Think Japan here (again)."

"This will leave the rest of the economy capital-less. The Fed still doesn't "get it". We need higher rates to attract savings which will be turned into capital."

"Unless the "behind the curtain" plan is nothing more than bailing out the bankrupt US government, in which case this would be the way to do it, at the expense of what's left of the non-government economy. Starve the workers and support your federal government."

"We need a grassroots campaign for Dr. Kurt Richebacher as Fed Chairman and Doug Noland as Secretary of Treasury."

Sorry, Richebacher and Noland would not dare assume the job after the bubble is so far extended. There is no turning back. Al Green must suffer the consequences.

Mark...

Unreal.....Do you have a link to the AP story and Murphy's comment?....thanks in advance.

Striketerm: Sorry if you constured by posts as whining, but this was/is my intent: This quoted from Nelson Hultberg, on the ppt, the whole article was linked above. ANyway, much more eloquent than I could pull off: "We who assert that the PPT exists are not trying to evade responsibility. We are not trying to say we were robbed. We are trying to say that the government is obsessed with controlling the economy. It wants to create stability and order through intervention and manipulation, and it will do whatever is necessary to achieve such order. It will even "irrationally" try and control the stock market so as to try and avoid the consequences of its past policies over the decades. This is not an issue of bitching about losses; it's an issue of recognizing the true nature of government and the ruthless, desperate men who make the decisions for that government. It's about the freedom of the markets ultimately. It's about how our obsessions are corrupting that freedom, and how the Federal Government has the power to destroy that freedom if it were to panic and intervene massively and publicly to try and avert a major 1930's style crash.

"

Phat:

Thanks for the info about the "various" Bradleys.I've got a file somewhere

with the Geos and the Helios and the 360's of these.

It seems to be a characteristic of the markets recently that,as soon as you find

something that "works" then it changes and it doesn't work anymore!

My usual approach nearing a turn is to look at all relevant indicators to decide

which direction has the greater probability-ie if stoch's are at a top(weekly) then

the turn is most likely down and vice versa.Actually, it is not much different to

working without Bradley!!But it does tend to improve confidence especially as

it has been pretty good recently.

rott, welcome, and thanks.

i couldn't sort out that piece of mauldin's he refers to. i read it about six times. it was an articulate essay wholly devoid of a coherent argument. it was like being at the library, finding a microfiche copy of a 1964 high school newspaper from somewhere in rural iowa, and reading an editorial which explains how a presidential assassination could never be the product of any sort of conspiracy, because it would be too hard to hide, and it just would be impossible anyway. i wrote mauldin but haven't heard back.

Archived