Welcome to earnings Q4 season

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what caused the EUR to gap up and gold to rocket a few minutes ago.....

Everything running anti-dollar right now after some partial gap fills. Don't usually see the mkt this active on a sunday night.

S+P still getting pumped up according to its usual Sunday schedule.

Latest Story

Let Me Count The Ways- Professional Edition

January 10, 2010 By Lee Adler Cycle based stock screening data was mixed on Friday with virtually no change in the intermediate measures. Click here to download complete report in pdf format (Professional Edition Subscribers). Try the Professional Edition risk free for thirty days. If, within that time, you don’t find the information useful, I will give you a full refund. It’s that simple. Click here for more information.

To Doc a "machs nicht" question -

When things head south (I believe that you and I are in complete agreement about this), who do you think will be the first hoisting Shorty's pitchforks? Will it be the owners of the stock market or the holders of the bonds.

I opine that the greater risk to a civil uprising comes from a significant stock market drop.

The main reason I feel this way is that the nighly news generally mentions the stock market performance and rarely talks about bonds. I agree that bonds are VERY important, but I just do not perceive that the majority of people ever have a thought about the bond market.

On another point, I feel that understanding the mechanics of the market is significant in my trading from a viewpoint of probabilities. For instance the 16 of 18 up on Mondays. The level and type of market mechanics/"manipulation" impacts probabilities (both up and down) in my experience and when viewed against the bigger backdrop of day to day living (somehow I would guess that most people do not feel that they are in a 50 percent better world today than 9 months ago).

My trading record speaks for itself, it definitely does. I am not blaming them for anything, I do o.k.. Like I've said before, when they are reflating, like they are now, there is a floor under the market and I have also stated that it is not wise to fade this type of game. Now as far as buying support and selling resistance, duh. I have been doing this for nearly 12 years: I think I understand how this works. What I was saying was that doesn't it seem a bit ironic that when the market is at a critical level and falling apart and there is some serious selling pressure and everything thing in the book is suggesting that this level should not hold and then, bam, from out of nowhere tremendous buying pressure hits the tape and then a massive rally ensues. Shouldn't this raise some eyebrows? I think it should. Don't be so naive to reason that there isn't manipulation in the markets, because, really, you don't have any proof that there isn't. Don't be so condescending in your "simple minded" guesses.

Speaking for myself, I have never disputed the possibility that deep pockets attempt to effect change and create impressions and dictate sentiment through activity in futures markets.

My beef is with those who claim it's some shadowy group within the USG, the PPT or otherwise, in the utter absence of anything but the flimsiest of biased anecdote and circumstantial evidence.

Does anyone remember how long the Madoff scheme lasted? Also, what was the value of his "fund" or assets controlled? And could someone remind me please of how many trades were actually done?

Also for my own edification, could someone point to me where all the futures contracts appear on the finanicial/accounting records of the various business entities? For example, could someone point out the line in GS public financial records showing the asset value for all the futures contracts (of any sort) that they are holding? Not the mark to market value of the change in price. (And I am not asking about stock or bond holdings.)

TIA.

. . ., in the utter absence of anything but the flimsiest of biased anecdote and circumstantial evidence.

Wrong, just wrong.

It is all in the public domain and much has been pointed out by Doc and others time and time again in these threads. They should be given all the credit due them.

Merely as one example, if one cannot acknowledge what is in "black and white" on the Fed's own website, then how can anyone convince that person? What would it take? It is truly a pointless exercise.

People just need to go back and read the history of why the securities laws were put into place in the 1930s. History repeats itself.

Speaking for myself, I have never disputed the possibility that deep pockets attempt to effect change and create impressions and dictate sentiment through activity in futures markets.

My beef is with those who claim it's some shadowy group within the USG, the PPT or otherwise, in the utter absence of anything but the flimsiest of biased anecdote and circumstantial evidence.

As Doc has pointed out the the NY Fed holds a planning meeting every morning. The briefer just notes some key area. I don't think the boyz such as the Squid have any problem knowing what to do, especially if the government has let the boyz know that they can do what they need to do as Jimi pointed out earlier. The government doesn't need to actively intervene , just supply FRNs

Think Madoff, he wasn't caught by the government even though they had been tipped off to what he was doing years ago. He was turned in by his sons when he ran out of money. <_<

Wrong, just wrong.

It is all in the public domain and much has been pointed out by Doc and others time and time again in these threads. They should be given all the credit due them.

Merely as one example, if one cannot acknowledge what is in "black and white" on the Fed's own website, then how can anyone convince that person? What would it take? It is truly a pointless exercise.

People just need to go back and read the history of why the securities laws were put into place in the 1930s. History repeats itself.

:huh:

I concede that I am an imbecile. I wasn't aware it was in black & white and published in the public domain.

Please, show some mercy on my simpleton soul and provide me the link to the Fed webpage where they acknowledge dealing in S&P futures contracts.

Thanks.

Can you recommend a fine book on game theory, too?

Also for my own edification, could someone point to me where all the futures contracts appear on the finanicial/accounting records of the various business entities? For example, could someone point out the line in GS public financial records showing the asset value for all the futures contracts (of any sort) that they are holding? Not the mark to market value of the change in price. (And I am not asking about stock or bond holdings.)

TIA.

Try starting with Table 1 and go from there.

Archived