Still In The Hamptons

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the strong pump I guess the best that could be said is that we finished green. Decent strength in the $COMP today and I'm back on the long side in selected tech stocks. My son finished school a few weeks ago so that means I'm at a computer during the trading day which does make things easier for getting in and out quickly.

OK, here is a chart for you charters....AFFX... don't know much other than it's a biometrix. Could be an investment....seems like a bottom with room to run.. ;)

post-1110-1180472981_thumb.jpg

Peru down 3.5%, some serious acute deflation going on down there....

583786[/snapback]

buy the dip! :P

583787[/snapback]

I'll try... but I'm losing digits..

post-1110-1180475528_thumb.jpg

Update on an earlier post.

A guy who used to work for me about 10 yrs ago went out on his own and started his own one man removal company.

He is a very hard worker but virtually no education.

He inherited $30k and bought a truck.

Worked hard and upgraded his old truck to an expensive truck.

Made some money and bought a house.

Do I need to go on??

Anyway about 9 months ago he rang me and asked if I wanted to buy his business.

He wanted $270k.

I told him he was dreaming.

His business was worth the value of his truck at best.

Maybe $80k.

He rang me a few days ago and said that he was getting out of the removal game and everything was for sale.

His new price is $150k.

Or $55k without the truck.

I said what was I buying for $55k and he said his business name and phone numbers.

He operates from home and has a phone number and small advert in the local Yellow Pages.

He is prepared to strip the truck down and sell it off as cab chassis and body.

His turnover last year was $141k.

Out of that he must pay his offsider(maybe $30k) and all other costs,truck payments,fuel,repairs,tyres,advertising,everything.

He then informed me he was trying to sell his house.

He wants $589k.I doubt at the height of the boom he would get anywhere near this price,low $400s if he was lucky would be my guess.

He gave me a website to view his house.

He has everything.

2 new cars,An outdoor spa,large screen TV,a big pool, a fancy BBQ.

I am assuming he tapped his equity to buy all this stuff.

He then told me he had bought another house as an investment.

Now he is selling everything .

Trouble is that he thinks everything he owns is worth what he paid for it.

He paid $110k for his truck 4 yrs ago and with 261000 kilometres on the clock still thinks its worth $100k .

I would imagine his monthly payments are astronomical.

He told me he was burnt out and wants out.He wants to work his way around the country.

This is going to end very badly for guys like this.A major reality check is right upon them.

This is a fast motion train wreck... :ph34r: :ph34r:

and right on cue...

Housing costs and bankruptcy numbers show big increases

Nassim Khadem and Ben Schneiders

May 30, 2007

The chief executive of Insolvency and Trustee Service Australia, Terry Gallagher, told the hearing that bankruptcies grew 12.5 per cent in the nine months to March. About 15 years ago bankruptcy numbers were 13,000 a year; now they were 30,000 a year, he said.

Debt agreements ? by so-called debt-solution companies offering people the chance to pay back part of a debt rather than go bankrupt ? have jumped 32 per cent in the nine months to March. Across all forms of personal insolvency, total activity has increased by 15.7 per cent.

The director of policy and campaigns with the Consumer Action Law Centre, Nicole Rich, said that for most consumers it would be better to go bankrupt.

"If you are struggling you should be able to wipe the slate clean and start again," she said. "These so-called solutions just add to people's debt problems and in some cases end up costing them thousands of dollars."

Figures from the Supreme courts of Victoria and NSW show an increase in mortgage defaults. In Victoria, the number of land repossession cases going to court is at its highest in six years. NSW has had a 75 per cent increase in repossessions in the past three years.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/hou...0205250359.html

Archived