B4 The Bell Humpday 3

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian, I was strongarmed into attending a Billy Graham crusade event 20 years ago. B.C place was pulsating with hallelujahs, the converts were on fire emotionally. I swear the baptismal pool must have served double duty for devotees who got so turned on they risked spontaneous human combustion. Now, nothing against Jesus, I'm a big fan, but this struck me as a bit scary, and potentially extremely dangerous. I've kept my eye on the movement ever since, chiefly because the average Episcopalean, agnostic or atheist, is really missing what's going on here, because they're not "feeling" it. They may catch a bit of it on tv, but it's not the same. There is a strange shadow creeping over the land and it's not limited to the U.S.

As easily as shamanism segues into sorcery in animistic religions, this form of orgasmic devotion to Jesus can change into mob hysteria, with a taste for torture and sadism.

The fact that the Abu Graib prison scandal didn't turn off more "Christians" is evidence of a complete lack of the spirit of real Christianity and an indication that the more or less positive spirit of the original southern baptist type movements has turned malevolent.

This is what is happening to large segments of America, and it's happening in a big way in Canada too. You won't see it if you don't actually attend one of their functions. It's a bit like that scene in Blue Velvet, where the guy finds a human ear in a field and all of a sudden a strange culture he didn't know existed appears to be all around him.

But none of them will ever see this in themselves because their self image is one of chronic protracted "niceness"

Guest Icky Twerp

Kitco

It was MH, I believe, along with others, sure, but memorably, MH, a while back who always pointed out the 3-tries-before-a-break -- but after the year we've had with these trading ranges, I think it has morphed into 3-humps-and-a-dump, but still, One chooses to be optimistic about this scenario. It wasn't until I looked at the year-long chart that I got an understanding of what to expect.

post-20-1099544348_thumb.gif

I don't know if this was posted yet, but there is a strong rumor that Al-jazeera has a new tape from Osama that it will probably release tomorrow. We shall see.... My guess it is him condemning the American people for their choice of president and indicating his intention to cause harm..... Its just a rumor so far....

Hell, I bin publisssh on B4 The Bell?.

Dec Unobtanium futs up?..

God's Away On Business (Blood Money, 1999)

I'd sell your heart to the junkman baby

For a buck, for a buck

If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch

You're out of luck, you're out of luck.

The ship is sinking

The ship is sinking

The ship is sinking

There's a leak, there's a leak in the boiler room

The poor, the lame, the blind

Who are the ones that we kept in charge?

Killers, thieves, and lawyers!

God's Away, God's Away

God's away on Business.

Business.

God's Away, God's Away

God's away on Business.

Business.

Digging up the dead with a shovel and a pick

It's a job, it's a job

Bloody moon rising with a plague and a flood

Join the mob, join the mob

It's all over, it's all over.

It's all over.

There's a leak, there's a leak in the boiler room

The poor, the lame, the blind

Who are the ones that we kept in charge?

Killers, thieves, and lawyers!

God's Away, God's Away

?

Goddamn there's always such a big temptation

To be good, To be good

There's always free Cheddar in a mousetrap, baby

It's a deal, it's a deal

God's away, God's away, God's away On Business.

Business.

I narrow my eyes like a coin slot baby,

Let her ring, let her ring

God's Away, God's Away

God's away on Business.

Business...

-Tom Waits and Kathleen Brennan-Waits

Kitco

It was MH, I believe, along with others, sure, but memorably, MH, a while back who always pointed out the 3-tries-before-a-break -- but after the year we've had with these trading ranges, I think it has morphed into 3-humps-and-a-dump, but still, One chooses to be optimistic about this scenario. It wasn't until I looked at the year-long chart that I got an understanding of what to expect.

??Care to share with the rest of us?

And gee, Threadbare, I haven't seen Blue Velvet yet -- tanks for spoiling it! :lol: Is that the sequel to National Velvet? :huh:

sea urchin, you've brought up something which has bothered me for a long time....corporations...the whole concept of it, as it's currently implemented anyway.

There's something about allowing that much money (power) to accumulate under the control of just a few, which seems...dangerous....unnatural in a way. "Normal" people have no defense against it. It's like having rogue kings within your own country. They have the cash to hire the lawyers and politicians to run roughshod over whatever and whoever they want. And it's all "legal".

As a libertarian, it's very much at odds with my core philosophy to say such a thing, but I think they'll need to be reined in somehow...

As one thought....giving corps the same legal status as natural persons just seems wrong. That's what I meant by "unnatural" above I guess. It allows creation of a "person" who ends up VASTLY more powerful than any other (real) person. How can a normal person like you or I ever fight such a thing ?

I don't have any brilliant concepts for how TO restructure things...it's just something that's always bothered me a little...

Guest Icky Twerp
Kitco

??Care to share with the rest of us?

And gee, Threadbare, I haven't seen Blue Velvet yet -- tanks for spoiling it! :lol: Is that the sequel to National Velvet? :huh:

HEY! Drano!

You been here long enough to know without me tellin'. :rolleyes:

Imagine youre back in hi-school Geometry class.

Now imagine a line, right there around $430. Look over there on the right at them to itty bitty committee peaks and how they're banging on the resistance to go up.

It was never quite clear to me whether it was 3rd-times-the-charm, or the fourth after 3 tries, but in any case it IS going up soon. No doubt about it.

I see that line as plainly as if it were painted like this _ _ _ _ _ _,

like the imaginary line of a putt that I KNOW is going in. B)

Dozer, Sea Urchin--Exactimundo. If corporations have legal status of persons, why should they not be given the death penalty for certain crimes?

Here's a paradox, regarding limiting the effects of govts to regulate business. This idea is usually advanced to promote the market and limit interferance.

But there are laws on the books that are there to prevent too much consolidation and merging in order to thwart monopolies and check the power of oligopolies. Unfortunately, the libertarian philosophy taken to it's paradoxical conclusion, is very difficult, because it encourages centralization in the commercial core and that is antithetical to the SPIRIT of libertarianism. That's why I call myself libertarian left. Govt should play a strong role in legislating competition. Give everyone a chance, including me and you. This is what the right wing govt of the dems and repuglicans have neglected to do as they sing and dance about "free markets". Basta***!

sea urchin, you've brought up something which has bothered me for a long time....corporations...the whole concept of it, as it's currently implemented anyway.

As a libertarian, it's very much at odds with my core philosophy to say such a thing, but I think they'll need to be reined in somehow...

As one thought....giving corps the same legal status as natural persons just seems wrong.  That's what I meant by "unnatural" above I guess.  It allows creation of a "person" who ends up VASTLY more powerful than any other (real) person.  How can a normal person like you or I ever fight such a thing ?

I don't have any brilliant concepts for how TO restructure things...it's just something that's always bothered me a little...

Apparently an accident by a SCOTUS clerk in 1890s(?), too hammered at the moment to track it?. Just imagine- corpse not zombie-persons- how that would laser-level the landscape?. would it ever happen? bwahahahaha ah a.

?reined in somehow...? Jerk the charters? Chorus: bwaha

cheerfully violating Rule 5, respecting #6?.

Not long ago, thought you were TOO cynical, Dozer. Beginning to see you?re not in the least?

"restructure things" Dunno either, just a one day at a time guy..... jus pissed it takes millenia to change cultures, & we are here for an eyeblink

Dozer, Sea Urchin--Exactimundo. If corporations have legal status of persons, why should they not be given the death penalty for certain crimes?

:o :o

now why didn't -I- think of -that- one...

perfect, threadbare....the death penalty for corps. I like it ! :lol:

oh my...what a list of deserving perps we could come up with... :P

?As a libertarian, it's very much at odds with my core philosophy to say such a thing, but I think they'll need to be reined in somehow...? dozer

? Here's a paradox, regarding limiting the effects of govts to regulate business. This idea is usually advanced to promote the market and limit interferance.

But there are laws on the books that are there to prevent too much consolidation and merging in order to thwart monopolies and check the power of oligopolies. Unfortunately, the libertarian philosophy taken to it's paradoxical conclusion, is very difficult, because it encourages centralization in the commercial core and that is antithetical to the SPIRIT of libertarianism. ?-threadbare

Antithetical to the SPIRIT period. Touches on the core of Libertarian fallacy. Price everything, value nothing. Price of corp death penalty = infinity, value = 0.

Archived