The MIT Trading Symposium

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Symposium. I like it. Big words impress Doc.

Just remember stoolfans. Short term TA matters only, on this thread. No chit chat. Chit chat goes on the sister thread on IDS. Longer term TA matters for discussion go on LOB or Dr. Bontchev's TA Forum.

Good stool to all!

in bounce territory - but can continue to bleed

projecting +/- .15pts per hour for 10 hours on HOURLY SPY data:

my ST chart

image007.gif

and my IT Attractor

image008.gif

For those unfamiliar with my charts, an explanation can be found here. It focuses on daily data but is applicable to hourly by substituting hours for days in the trends, moving averages, lookback periods, slopes, etc

BB

Yesterday you had support on the NAS at 1324.67. Price approached that level at 1324.98, bounced slightly, penetrated by about .25, bounced slightly, and then penetrated convincingly. But by that time you'd left. My question is how do YOU judge convincing penetration, or a negating bounce.

This morning you've got SPX support at 831.48 and as I began typing this, it was within a half point. Do you use a percentage to judge what's convincing?

I hope you can find some quiet time today to respond. :D

Stutz,

The levels I calculate on the chart are reference points for me. Not something I will act immediately upon they are hit. Since most of these levels are based on Fib ratios, most of the traders are using them. So I need to know what "others" are seeing. To quote a very good trader: "We are in the business of trading traders". We need to know what others are seeing and know what they most probably do.

Personally, I look at these levels as points where others either will take profits or establish positions. I'll try to either buy or sell depending on my plan for the day. Whether one level will succeed on containing the price or not, has to do with where exactly we are within the cycles. If I know that the one day is nearing a bottom and the price is at a Fib level, I would expect to see holding the price only temporarily, if the 8 day is down. If the 8 day (that's just an example) is up, and the 1 bottoming on a Fib level I will be looking for sideways action to indicate accumulation and then higher high (intraday) to indicate that the level provided support and then I buy.

Hope that answered your question..

LEN - D

Today in the news... Potential double "Bullish Gartley" forming... the horizontal brown lines indicate the pivots for each Gartley. Trade below the top horizontal line targes the top cluster and trade below the bottom horizontal line targets the lower cluster

**This is not recommendation to buy or sell...**

len_d.jpg

BB

Thank you for taking the time to respond. No, you didn't entirely answer my question, but then I'd be surprised if the nuance of your trading could be conveyed in a paragraph. But perhaps one follow-up question may clarify.

You said, "If the 8 day (that's just an example) is up, and the 1 bottoming on a Fib level I will be looking for sideways action to indicate accumulation and then higher high (intraday) to indicate that the level provided support and then I buy."

My question goes to how you measure, calculate, decide how much "sideways action" constitute a "buy." :huh:

My question goes to how you measure, calculate, decide how much "sideways action" constitute a "buy."

When the market is moving in one direction and then pauses (sideways action), it's up to me to decide what the next "probable" move will be. I look for patterns (consolidations, flags etc), check the cyclicality (where are within short-term and intermediate term cycles) and then I look for breath.

Measuring buying and selling is something that the chart can show you if you want to see it. I try to avoid buying at the bottom or sell at the top. That's risky. Sometimes I'm lucky and other time I'm not and lose money. The market has a rythm that when I'm in sync I can listen to. The rythm of the market is "thrust", "consolidation", "thrust", "consolidation" and so on.... After the "consolidation", I expect a "thrust". I take the trade on the direction of the "thrust" and I put a stop. If the market decides to change the rythm, I have to take the stop, sit on the sidelines and wait for the next consolidation. AFter that I take the next "thurst" in the direction of the market.

The moment you stop and analyze what "should" be happening, instead of what "is" happening, is the moment you have to hand your money to the next trader ;)

Archived