Deja Vu All Over Again

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see huge red flags everywhere.

Copper down on a day like this.

SHIAX (One of our fallen friend's (LeeWhee) favorite indicator) isn't confirming this move.

And last, the most speculative sector (BIOTECH) is leading the charge.

I say short THIS B!TCH!

You forgot SOX not even able to climb over 50 day on this rampola...

Is anybody here confident they know what will happen with Fukushima?

seems to me the tokyo/washington/msm/wallstreet folks are supremely confident that there is no chance that the problem escalates

i can't come to any clear contusion

In response to your question in IDS, I went looking for confirmation that an area the size of Switzerland is an effective "exclusion zone" as the result of the Chernobyl event. (Never did confirm that....)

Along the way, I stumbled upon the following: a motorcyclist's photographic report from the exclusion zone. I found the photos and discussion compelling. The cynic in me says that the area around Fukushima will be eventually surrendered to isotopes & the wild.

Ukranian Woman with a Ninja

Here's a map of the various evacuation zones.

post-1360-13015182495121.jpg

I believe it currently stands at 20km, and you can see where the recommended 50 mile exclusion zone the U.S. has indicated for its own citizens includes a handful of cities together with +1 million inhabitants. Include in the area already excluded and toss out an estimate of ~250,000, then you're talking about the eventual and swift relocation of 1 of every 100 Japanese.

We all remember pi*r^2 as the surface area of a circle. Using an eventual 80km (i.e., 50 mile) exclusion zone radius, and dividing it by 2 (to reflect the fact that Fukushima is on the ocean), generates ~10,000 square kilometers of territory. The CIA Factbook puts total land area of japan at 364,485 square kilometers, so we're talking about 2% of Japan's territory.

By the way, the IAEA is recommending increasing the exclusion zone now to 40km:

In the latest sign of widening consequences from the nuclear crisis, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said radiation measured at the village of Iitate, 40 km from Japan's crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, exceeded a criterion for evacuation.

I liked your theta decay reference - I can't tell whether time is on the size of those seeking to contain things. Some recent reports have indicated the possibility of criticality, which I believe would complicate efforts to fix the problem. One gets the sense that this could go on & on for weeks & months, with some unknown quantity of drip-drip-drip into the local environment.

Totally sucks.

There are lots of laws on the books. But, as Matt Taibbi has noted in his blogs and articles at the Rolling Stone, if you and your company are well connected enough, there's no need to bother paying attention to any laws. It's only when Martha Stewart or someone like that does insider trader that the laws are enforced. Apparently her company doesn't give hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations to politicians, like GS and some others do.

AAPL did the back-kiss a couple of days ago. It seems to look a little haggardly and laggardly since then [sort of like an old scratched up G3iphony thingy].

Tim at Slope of Hope pointed this one out so I thought I'd show a version here. I like to take a glance over there every now and then since he is the creator of my Prophet Charts.

post-565-1301521659942.png

AAPL did the back-kiss a couple of days ago. It seems to look a little haggardly and laggardly since then [sort of like an old scratched up G3iphony thingy].

yup crapple suckerbagholders suffered a 2-pernt backdoor reamin' turday even ass rest of markit got EOQ showgoosed

Archived