B4 The Bell Moonday September 13

Hiding Bear

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Media reporting that US Airways may be liquidated.

Old timers know that it used to be Allegheny Airways. In focus-group testing, consumers had a negative image of Allegheny, as a puddle-jumper carrier out of hillbilly country. Whereas, the then-nonexistent "US Airways" was much more favorably viewed.

The consultants said -- are you nuts? -- change the name to US Airways immediately -- impress the rubes.

Turns out that, just as early Windows was nothing but a pretty front end for DOS, "US Airways" was just a slick livery, with the ugly duckling of Allegheny still hiding behind it.

"We don't have no cash, Mr. Creditor. But they's a couple of chickens and hawgs behind the terminal here that you kin take ..."? :lol:

I always thought US Air meant use-another-airline. With the exception of TWA I have never flown a worse airline.

I've always heard it called Useless Air.... :lol:

Former "designated Fed leaker" for the Washington Post, John Berry, says a Sep. 21 rate hike is in the bag:

Sept. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Federal Reserve officials made it clear last week that they believe the U.S. economy is growing fast enough to justify continuing to raise their target for the overnight lending rate to keep inflation under control.

All those public comments, plus those of several other Fed officials, add up to a quarter-percentage-point increase in the federal funds target to 1.75 percent when the Federal Open Market Committee meets Sept. 21.

Twenty-five bips is good for you

Unfortunately, Berry went beyond the leaked text and tacked on a little unauthorized paragraph of his own:

Officials uniformly say that whatever the appropriate level for the federal funds rate, it can't be as low as 1.5 percent. Finding the right level will be a matter of raising rates and seeing what happens to the economy. In other words, of trial and error.

:lol: John, we all know the emperor has no clothes. But it's not polite to say so! :lol:

Ivan looks to be headed for the mouth of the Mississippi...which puts it right in the midst of a bunch of oil and natural gas tanks, pipelines and infrastructure.  I flew over the area last week and was amazed viewing it all from above.  Keep an eye on the price of oil and gas this week.

The track has been continually shifting west. New Orleans is now the center probability. Take a look at the most recent 'discussion' on NOAA's site and there is one very interesting sentence:

THE OFFICIAL FORECAST TRACK IS SHIFTED ABOUT 60 N MI LEFT OF THE

PREVIOUS ADVISORY AT 72 HOURS AND IS STILL TO THE RIGHT OF ALL

GUIDANCE EXCEPT FOR THE GFS. IF I DID NOT HAVE A PREVIOUS FORECAST

TO MAINTAIN SOME CONTINUITY WITH...I WOULD HAVE SHIFTED THE TRACK

EVEN FURTHER TO THE LEFT. MEANWHILE...SINCE THE MOTION IS STILL

WEST-NORTHWESTWARD

They have to maintain continuity with previous forecasts?

This thing will target Galveston before it hits....... That'll be a real mess. 160+ MPH winds right up the ship channel....

And if it stays the path it.s projected to go. I'm right in its path at Mobile Bay :(

Ivan looks to be headed for the mouth of the Mississippi...which puts it right in the midst of a bunch of oil and natural gas tanks, pipelines and infrastructure.  I flew over the area last week and was amazed viewing it all from above.  Keep an eye on the price of oil and gas this week.

The track has been continually shifting west. New Orleans is now the center probability. Take a look at the most recent 'discussion' on NOAA's site and there is one very interesting sentence:

THE OFFICIAL FORECAST TRACK IS SHIFTED ABOUT 60 N MI LEFT OF THE

PREVIOUS ADVISORY AT 72 HOURS AND IS STILL TO THE RIGHT OF ALL

GUIDANCE EXCEPT FOR THE GFS. IF I DID NOT HAVE A PREVIOUS FORECAST

TO MAINTAIN SOME CONTINUITY WITH...I WOULD HAVE SHIFTED THE TRACK

EVEN FURTHER TO THE LEFT. MEANWHILE...SINCE THE MOTION IS STILL

WEST-NORTHWESTWARD

They have to maintain continuity with previous forecasts?

This thing will target Galveston before it hits....... That'll be a real mess. 160+ MPH winds right up the ship channel....

And if it stays the path it projected to go. I'm right in its path at Mobile Bay :(

Might want to go ahead and make a hotel reservation somewhere inland just in case...good luck.

EXCHANGE CONTROLS COMING TO USA?

James Turk conjectures that the dollar is presently supported by insider anticipation of exchange controls.

I assume the idea is that one need not fear a big dollar selloff because holders won't be allowed to sell.

Founder's Commentary, "Which Way For The Dollar," 11 September 2004

http://goldmoney.com/en/commentary.php

Amazing that BRCM warns and now is up over $1.20

standard operating procedure...the worse the news, the more they defend it to kill the shorts. It will drop once nobody dares to short it.

Archived